The Student Room Group

Why do so few young Black people own their home?

Visa fees.
I'm also wondering why it's so high for Indians and Pakistanis
The fact that black people tend to stay with their familys longer and have larger extended families staying together (would explain why arab is low too) This is compared to White/Asian families. I think this has a large part to do with it.
Poorer families. Growing up in impoverished neighbourhoods. 'Educated' in the worst schools in the country. Incredibly high ratio of single parent families. Biggest 'black' communities reside in london where house prices are ridiculously high. Racism. Segregation. Discrimination. Culture.

Many many factors play a part in this issue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I'm also wondering why it's so high for Indians and Pakistanis

Much more likely to live in their parents house until their late 20s/early30s, then they tend to move out and buy another house.
Whereas most young White/Blacks tend to move out of their parents home in their late teens/early 20s and start renting.

Our family is important, hence the boomerang effect cus
Original post by Ravenous
Much more likely to live in their parents house until their late 20s/early30s, then they tend to move out and buy another house.
Whereas most young White/Blacks tend to move out of their parents home in their late teens/early 20s and start renting.

That's true, it seems the culture amongst Indians and Pakistanis involve living with your parents up until you get married and live with your spouse (and perhaps even for a short while after that). There isn't the same tendency to move out "just because I can", and live with friends/flatmates, unless you have to in order to work in another city for example.

Although given that the data refers only to people aged 25-34, I would have expected that even most Indian and Pakistani people would have moved out of their parents' house by then, especially because they tend to marry earlier. So I'm surprised it's affected the results that much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending