The Student Room Group

Is child support for unwanted pregnancies unfair on men

Scroll to see replies

It is the rights of the child - and that is the starting point.
Original post by ByronicHero
A man should be able to abdicate legal responsibility early in the pregnancy but must, at that time, also relinquish all parental rights to the would-be mother. The female then can consider the full realities of her situation and decide whether or not to have, and indeed then keep, the child.

Obviously provisions need to be made to support both parties in this regard, and we should be doing more to support all single mothers anyway, but I am yet to see a truly compelling reason why something like this wouldn't work.
The risk is you sleep with a girl then there is always the risk they can get pregnant.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
That is an interesting point. The thing is that adoption would require consent from both parties wouldn't it?

If the mother wanted to give the child up for adoption and the father didn't, would he not be able to keep custody?

So the real question is in that scenario, does and should a mother also have to provide child support for her unwanted pregnancy if the father remains in custody?

A court can force through an adoption.
Original post by Rock Fan
The risk is you sleep with a man then there is always the risk you can get pregnant.

Change 2 words that doesn't drastically alter your point and it is a pro-life argument
Original post by joecphillips
Change 2 words that doesn't drastically alter your point and it is a pro-life argument

Not every female believes in abortion, just saying.
Original post by ByEeek
What on earth are you talking about? If you have sex with a woman, there is a chance she may get pregnant. At that point (and rightly so), the man should have joint responsibility for the child. If this concept offends you so much, I suggest you keep your trousers well and truly zipped up! Problem sorted and everyone is happy!

Does a man have joint responsibility for the child? The mother can kill it the man just has to live with what she decides it doesn't seem like he is responsible in anyway until he is forced to pay for her decision
The risk is you sleep with a girl then there is always the risk they can get pregnant.

Consent to sex isn't consent to pregnancy, for either sex - just as consent to skydiving isn't consent to get splattered on the ground even though former carries definite risk of the latter.
Not every female believes in abortion, just saying.

Didn't say they did, but please if you are just going to recycle pro-life arguments be consistent and at least support the pro-life argument.
Original post by joecphillips
Didn't say they did, but please if you are just going to recycle pro-life arguments be consistent and at least support the pro-life argument.

More of a fact really
Original post by swanderfeild
Consent to sex isn't consent to pregnancy, for either sex - just as consent to skydiving isn't consent to get splattered on the ground even though former carries definite risk of the latter.

Skydiving carries its risks, which you consent to when you agree to do it, which is similar to sex. Similarly, having unprotected sex isn't consent for HIV, but it's a risk that you should acknowledge before you take it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Quantum2017

Do you really think someone who insemiated themselves with your sperm alone in a bathroom without your knowledge should be allowed to make you force them to pay them? That's insane yet it's the insane law in this country.
Posted from TSR Mobile

My view would be just how bad a judge of character are you to end up finding a woman that desperate? And just out of curiosity, how do they get hold of your sperm? Do you leave it lying around when with another woman? Is this really such a massive issue in this country? It feels a bit edge case to me.
There's not such thing as true equality though. So the female has to raise the child and financially support the child but the father has to pay pay child support?
Men should have the right to financial abortion.
Original post by limetang
This isn't an argument though is it? You're just stating your opinion as though it's fact. You've simply asserted that this course of events happens and happens rightly without justifying it. At best this is an is ought fallacy.

Fair enough - it is my opinion. But sex is the act of creating babies. The fact that it is enjoyable should not take away from the primary objective. We all know that you can take preventative action on both sides to stop a pregnancy but similarly we also know that there is a risk that these measures might fail and should be prepared as individuals and responsible adults for this rare eventuality.

In this country the woman is indeed allowed to choose whether to carry the baby and may do so with or without the consent of the father. But as men, we should not shirk our responsibility if the woman decides to give birth. Babies are not a lifestyle choice. They are another person and that needs the support, ideally of two adult parents.

I live opposite an abortion centre. It breaks my heart that so many men sit in their cars whilst leaving their partners (often in tears) to go through what is clearly a traumatic experience. I find the nature of this debate rather ungiving. I don't think those shouting for their rights to be realised actually understand what is at stake here.
Original post by cherryred90s
Skydiving carries its risks, which you consent to when you agree to do it, which is similar to sex. Similarly, having unprotected sex isn't consent for HIV, but it's a risk that you should acknowledge before you take it

You agree you might get pregnant, or you might be turned into human jello but you definitely don't consent to it - that is to say if you break you leg while skydiving, while you agreed that was a possibility we don't say "you consented to skydiving therefore you consented to having your legs broken so we're not gonna treat you"; similarly if you get pregnant we can't say "you consented to sex therefore you consented to get pregnant so we're not gonna let you have an abortion", or in case of males "you consented to have sex therefore you consented to being responsible for a child so you can't extricate yourself".
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's a risk he takes imo. If he really doesn't want to risk being a father, why sleep with her in the first place?

I see..do you apply this logic to abortion? or do these standards of accountability and risk fly out of the window when the issue involves women?
(edited 7 years ago)
We live in a female privileged world that teaches men to provide for women and when the roles are reversed men are shamed and put down. Its a man's job to provide for a woman. A man is treated like an animal, like a valueless object, who's entire purpose for existence is to serve women. This matriarchal culture needs to change. Women need to be held accountable for their actions. if you wind up pregnant with a child and the father did not plan that child with you. That child is your responsibility and yours alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by swanderfeild
You agree you might get pregnant, or you might be turned into human jello but you definitely don't consent to it - that is to say if you break you leg while skydiving, while you agreed that was a possibility we don't say "you consented to skydiving therefore you consented to having your legs broken so we're not gonna treat you"; similarly if you get pregnant we can't say "you consented to sex therefore you consented to get pregnant so we're not gonna let you have an abortion", or in case of males "you consented to have sex therefore you consented to being responsible for a child so you can't extricate yourself".

You consent to the risks of something before you go ahead with it. That's not to say you won't receive help if the worst case scenario does happen.
All medical procedures carry small risk of infection, which the patient consents to if they go ahead with the surgery. If the patient does indeed contract an infection post surgery, they would still receive the treatment that they need, despite being aware of this possibility.
Original post by Nottie
Sex leads to pregnancy. No precaution can fully prevent that. You agree to sex, you accept the consequences.
Don't sleep around if you don't want the risk

Ok but people are gonna sleep around, regardless of the simplicity of safe sex or abstinence. Come on, you know people in this world will not have safe sex/won't be celibate. So there needs to be a remedy for those who sleep around lol and I say, the mother shouldn't be able to do something to/with the child without the father's consent. How is this outrageous for a suggestion? It's the same situation with taking the child out of the country. Until shared custody is granted, the mother cannot take the child out the country without the father and I know this because of some case on the news couple years ago where a man sued the mother for kidnapping his daughter, and he won even though she just took her for holiday overseas lol People say bad children come from single homes...but then they basically encourage single homes telling the father to **** off, makes no sense.
Original post by CookieButter
We live in a female privileged world that teaches men to provide for women and when the roles are reversed men are shamed and put down. Its a man's job to provide for a woman. A man is treated like an animal, like a valueless object, who's entire purpose for existence is to serve women. This matriarchal culture needs to change. Women need to be held accountable for their actions. if you wind up pregnant with a child and the father did not plan that child with you. That child is your responsibility and yours alone.

lol...ideally but they're tryna make deadbeats accountable for helping to create the child but you know what I hate? When women say "I didn't make this child by myself." Ok...but...you still let him spunk in you. It's kinda rich when they shake their finger at the judge demanding help but what can ya do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending