The Student Room Group

When to start revising for AS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Now. You'll thank yourself in the summer when everyone is super stressed out and you're slightly more calm. Slightly.
But really, when you know the content and all that's left is small bits of revision, exam period really isn't that bad. Can never start revising too early.

I make notes, so you can carry those around instead of a giant textbook, also makes sure you don't forget tiny details.
As many have said, check the spec.
Do past papers, all the notes in the world will not help you if you don't do past papers.
If you have any question, make sure you ask.
Original post by rosie.mn
I've started now, I've been gradually doing revision throughout the year though. Doing completely different subjects but today was my first day of proper revision. I think doing a little bit each day is better than cramming maybe. Anyone doing Philosophy, Politics, History or English Lit and could share some revision tips?

I do English lit, make sure you have re read the books (they suggest about 3 times). Make summaries of each chapters, character and themes. Crellin me up with your own essay questions and answer them, I'm sure your teachers wouldn't mind marking them!

To the OP, I do AQA psychology and the best thing to do is make flash cards with each of the studies, and then practice doing essays - lay them out in the form Aim, procedure and findings, that's all AO1, then move onto evaluating strengths and weaknesses of the experiment itself, were there extraneous variables involves, are the results generalisable? Why? This helps you with long and short answer questions. Also, learn all the key words, as these are what get you the marks.

With biology, make mindmaps and flash cards. I also find making diagrams really helpful - the lungs, heart etc.
I hope this helped!
Reply 22
Everyone says to start now but really is that necessary? If you are going to start now then don't do loads, start small. I myself started late February and I wasn't really stressed at all, I did all I wanted to and more
Original post by chloecrazy
I do English lit, make sure you have re read the books (they suggest about 3 times). Make summaries of each chapters, character and themes. Crellin me up with your own essay questions and answer them, I'm sure your teachers wouldn't mind marking them!

To the OP, I do AQA psychology and the best thing to do is make flash cards with each of the studies, and then practice doing essays - lay them out in the form Aim, procedure and findings, that's all AO1, then move onto evaluating strengths and weaknesses of the experiment itself, were there extraneous variables involves, are the results generalisable? Why? This helps you with long and short answer questions. Also, learn all the key words, as these are what get you the marks.

With biology, make mindmaps and flash cards. I also find making diagrams really helpful - the lungs, heart etc.
I hope this helped!

Thanks for the lit advice. I recently got an A in my mock and seem to be doing quite well having read 2/3 of my current texts twice. Do you think if I'm getting A's now I will be able to get an A* in the real thing next year? Also, are the novels much harder than the plays?
Original post by Dronzy
Everyone says to start now but really is that necessary? If you are going to start now then don't do loads, start small. I myself started late February and I wasn't really stressed at all, I did all I wanted to and more

Which subjects?
And yeah, if I start now I will most likely do small sections per week
Reply 25
Original post by Lazybutmotivated
Which subjects?
And yeah, if I start now I will most likely do small sections per week

I did Maths, Physics, Psychology and Design & Technology at AS. And I got AAAA
Original post by Dronzy
I did Maths, Physics, Psychology and Design & Technology at AS. And I got AAAA

How did you revise for psychology and physics?
Reply 27
How did you revise for psychology and physics?

I mainly used the CGP book for physics and lots of past papers. For psychology it was a new spec so there wasn't many past papers, again I used CGP textbooks.
Original post by Dronzy
I mainly used the CGP book for physics and lots of past papers. For psychology it was a new spec so there wasn't many past papers, again I used CGP textbooks.

For physics, did you use the old spec past papers since it was also a new spec?
Now honey. I learnt the hard way last year (I'm repeating yr12)

I do the same subjects all for AQA
(last year I did Maths and RE, not Psychology)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _4everfaithful__
Now honey. I learnt the hard way last year (I'm repeating yr12)

I do the same subjects all for AQA
(last year I did Maths and RE, not Psychology)

What time did you start last year?
Reply 31
For physics, did you use the old spec past papers since it was also a new spec?

Yeah I did, although the papers are different the questions asked in science subjects remain the same-ish so past papers helped allot. However I did struggle for past papers in psychology, and I only ended up doing like 2; the ones they release prior to the exams.
What time did you start last year?

Just before easter

The best thing you can do is do little by little from the beginning or early so you don't go mad trying to pack new information into your memory
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
If you do WJEC Eduqas psychology, I can give you an idea of what to study.

Have you done WJEC Eduqas psych at A2?

Quick Reply

Latest