The Student Room Group

Guaranteed interview for disabled applicants?

Hello all,

I'm thinking of applying for a PhD studentship at the MRC and they say the following in the description:

"As "Disability Confident" employers, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy."

I found it very encouraging initially because I do have a disability and I meet the minimum criteria and I would very much like to pursue a PhD. However, it does seem a little too good to be true.

What does everyone think?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I think it means they will treat you like every other candidate?
I don't know what requirements are needed for PhD, but I think what they mean is that they don't "care" about your disability as long as you meet the intial criteria?
Reply 2
Original post by Nottie
I think it means they will treat you like every other candidate?
I don't know what requirements are needed for PhD, but I think what they mean is that they don't "care" about your disability as long as you meet the intial criteria?

If that is the case, then it is an unusual way of phrasing it because it implies that so long as I am predicted a 2:1 or higher and live and have the right to work in the UK, I get an interview.
Original post by mhaa95

It's a standard scheme and a standard phrase, and it means what it says. If you meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy, and disclose a disability, you will offered an interview. Many employers follow this protocol nowadays.
They only do it so people can't accuse them of being "ableist". It's PC gone mad, in my opinion. Why should the disabled get an unfair advantage over everyone else?
Original post by Len Goodman
They only do it so people can't accuse them of being "ableist". It's PC gone mad, in my opinion. Why should the disabled get an unfair advantage over everyone else?

It doesn't really work out like that. In practice, it means that rather than wading through loads of paperwork explaining an individual's mitigating circumstances and being reliant on a candidate's (and their referee's) writing skills, you see them in person and explore any adverse impact their disability might have had.

When you've got someone in the room in front of you, it's much easier to spot the flaky 'oh! I had the most terrible depression during my undergrad' candidates versus those who really have had genuine struggles.

Also, the basic atmosphere we currently work in are the two assumptions 'the employer is nervous of taking on an applicant with issues' and 'disabilities are going to be difficult to manage in the workplace'. By meeting a person, even just at interview, it usually becomes pretty obvious that neither of those are massive issues, which brings the disabled applicant back to a level playing field with an applicant who hasn't ticked that box.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending