The Student Room Group

Can I rely to part-time job?

Hi there, I am a Greek student and if I get an offer, I really think to go abroad next year and study in Scotland. I have applied at the Strathclyde University, Heriot-Watt University and 3 other English Universities(UEA, York and Nottingham) but I am almost sure that I will choose a Scottish university if given the chance, to avoid getting the student loan. The courses that I chose are: Bachelor in Business Administration at Heriot-Watt and BA Management and Marketing at Strathclyde.

However, I do not have the financial background to go to University if I don't get a part-time job. My parents will be able to give me about 170-200gbp per month, so it is mandatory to get a part time job.

What I wanted to ask is: 1) Can someone find student job easily at Glasgow-Edinburgh?
2)What is the average pay at these jobs?
3) How many hours do you think that a full-time student can work?
4)Apart from rent (110-130 gbp/week) how much will I need to cover my living expenses (food, entertainment, transport etc)?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by titanforce
Hi there, I am a Greek student and if I get an offer, I really think to go abroad next year and study in Scotland. I have applied at the Strathclyde University, Heriot-Watt University and 3 other English Universities(UEA, York and Nottingham) but I am almost sure that I will choose a Scottish university if given the chance, to avoid getting the student loan. The courses that I chose are: Bachelor in Business Administration at Heriot-Watt and BA Management and Marketing at Strathclyde.

However, I do not have the financial background to go to University if I don't get a part-time job. My parents will be able to give me about 170-200gbp per month, so it is mandatory to get a part time job.

What I wanted to ask is: 1) Can someone find student job easily at Glasgow-Edinburgh?
2)What is the average pay at these jobs?
3) How many hours do you think that a full-time student can work?
4)Apart from rent (110-130 gbp/week) how much will I need to cover my living expenses (food, entertainment, transport etc)?

Thanks in advance!

The majority of student jobs are going to be minimum wage which is £5.55 for an 18 years old.
It would depend on your courses workload but idealistically even if you could work say 24 hours a week, giving you £130 that is only going to cover your rent. I dont know the exact costs for that city but with the amount your parents can give you, it may be doable with a part time job but its not going to be comfortable by any means.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
The majority of student jobs are going to be minimum wage which is £5.55 for an 18 years old.
It would depend on your courses workload but idealistically even if you could work say 24 hours a week, giving you £130 that is only going to cover your rent. I dont know the exact costs for that city but with the amount your parents can give you, it may be doable with a part time job but its not going to be comfortable by any means.

Ηello, thanks for the answer! I forgot to mention that I will have some money in the bank from the summer job. What I wanted to know is if it will be possible to have any social life while I will be working 20+ hours. Moreover, how many hours is the typical average timetable for bachelor studies?
Ηello, thanks for the answer! I forgot to mention that I will have some money in the bank from the summer job. What I wanted to know is if it will be possible to have any social life while I will be working 20+ hours. Moreover, how many hours is the typical average timetable for bachelor studies?

Contact hours can vary massively between univerisities, if you email them i m sure your choices could give you an idea of what to expect. I've know people how manage to juggle it but it wont be easy.
Reply 4
Contact hours can vary massively between univerisities, if you email them i m sure your choices could give you an idea of what to expect. I've know people how manage to juggle it but it wont be easy.

I have emailed them but I guess they are busy looking at the applications. From your experience, is it easy to find jobs as a student?
I have emailed them but I guess they are busy looking at the applications. From your experience, is it easy to find jobs as a student?

I dont live in scotland but my university city wasnt too bad, but there'll be plenty of competition for jobs.
Reply 6
I dont live in scotland but my university city wasnt too bad, but there'll be plenty of competition for jobs.

Well, thank you once again, I hope I will be able to make ends meet somehow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending