The Student Room Group

Am I worrying over nothing? - missing 2 weeks of sixth form

I'm in year 12 and I'm going to miss 2 weeks of sixth form at the end of March for a trip with a subject that is now linear. My exam for a subject which is still in the AS/A-level format will be around 6 weeks after that (don't know the exact date yet) do you think it will be too risky to miss 2 weeks of content? :/
Original post by Mirinae
I'm in year 12 and I'm going to miss 2 weeks of sixth form at the end of March for a trip with a subject that is now linear. My exam for a subject which is still in the AS/A-level format will be around 6 weeks after that (don't know the exact date yet) do you think it will be too risky to miss 2 weeks of content? :/

Why has the school organised a visit in term time?
Reply 2
You could ask your teachers to give you works in advance if that's possible.
Or borrowing your friends' notes perhaps.
I would say you shouldn't worry too much as long as you prepare everything beforehand

What is the subject that has a 2-week field trip though?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Why has the school organised a visit in term time?

Original post by baiichi
You could ask your teachers to give you works in advance if that's possible.
Or borrowing your friends' notes perhaps.
I would say you shouldn't worry too much as long as you prepare everything beforehand

What is the subject that has a 2-week field trip though?

Sorry I should have made this clearer. It's for 2 subjects but they're both languages so a week in each country basically.
Reply 4
My attendance was 83% or 84% at AS and I got AAAB with a minimum amount of revision.

You will be fine.
Original post by Mirinae
Sorry I should have made this clearer. It's for 2 subjects but they're both languages so a week in each country basically.

OK but in my school no visits like this would be allowed in term time ... they all have to be in the holidays.

Make sure you are ahead in your revision in the other subjects :smile:
you'll be fine, get the work that you'll miss before you go. i'm also missing two weeks of college for a languages trip, and one of those weeks is in june during the AS exams. i'm not sitting any, but there are people on the trip who are. if they can manage, so can you. if they were going to be seriously detrimental to your exams, the trips wouldn't be there in the first place.
Original post by lostintrnslation
.... if they were going to be seriously detrimental to your exams, the trips wouldn't be there in the first place.

Sorry this timing is absolutely crazy and I would be complaining if this was my school. I certainly don't want my students out during AS exams - this is total madness.

There's plenty of time in July or in holidays..
Sorry this timing is absolutely crazy and I would be complaining if this was my school. I certainly don't want my students out during AS exams - this is total madness.

There's plenty of time in July or in holidays..

languages trips in sixth form/college are usually exchanges. the whole point is that you go and see the german/french/spanish school, experience the education system etc. you can't do that if it's not open. people who don't want to miss two weeks of college don't have to go. i know in the case of my trip, the week where there are AS exams is when the germans are coming over here, so the activities we're doing will have to be planned around the relevant exams.
languages trips in sixth form/college are usually exchanges. the whole point is that you go and see the german/french/spanish school, experience the education system etc. you can't do that if it's not open. people who don't want to miss two weeks of college don't have to go. i know in the case of my trip, the week where there are AS exams is when the germans are coming over here, so the activities we're doing will have to be planned around the relevant exams.

I went to France for two weeks in the Easter holidays and spent time in a French school - their terms aren't the same as ours.

Checking online shows German schools don't break up to 29th July so time after our schools close.
(edited 7 years ago)
I went to France for two weeks in the Easter holidays and spent time in a French school - their terms aren't the same as ours.

i'm not going to france. if there was a way to avoid missing two weeks of college, believe me, we'd be doing things that way. but there are 3 schools involved in the trip and things have to be done when it works for everyone. i'm not the person organising the whole thing. like i already said, if missing two weeks is going to be that much of a problem for someone, they don't have to go. we are very much expected to be on top of our work and not be behind when we get back. people who cannot handle that responsibility won't be going.
i'm not going to france. if there was a way to avoid missing two weeks of college, believe me, we'd be doing things that way. but there are 3 schools involved in the trip and things have to be done when it works for everyone. i'm not the person organising the whole thing. like i already said, if missing two weeks is going to be that much of a problem for someone, they don't have to go. we are very much expected to be on top of our work and not be behind when we get back. people who cannot handle that responsibility won't be going.

I posted the GERMAN term times - every school I've known manages to avoid this scenario ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
I don't think it would affect you that much as long as you keep up with other subjects, as it's towards the end of the year you (should have) learned everything by then and it's just a matter of revision.
I posted the GERMAN term times - every school I;'e known manages to avoid this scenario ...

which you added while i was typing my response, so i didn't see. not all german schools finish at the same time anyway. i have german friends who have finished within the first two weeks of july before.
do you really think that these trips would be organised if we really couldn't cope with missing time in college? students who have chosen to study a levels and chosen to go on a trip that will further widen their knowledge of a subject are responsible enough to do the work they've missed. if not, it's their fault. my college wouldn't allow trips like this if people didn't manage. most other trips at my college are during holidays or much less than 2 weeks long. languages are an exception because you can only go when the school abroad is open. they've been running the trip for years without any problems with students missing work. most people going aren't even sitting AS levels this year.
which you added while i was typing my response, so i didn't see. not all german schools finish at the same time anyway. i have german friends who have finished within the first two weeks of july before.
do you really think that these trips would be organised if we really couldn't cope with missing time in college? students who have chosen to study a levels and chosen to go on a trip that will further widen their knowledge of a subject are responsible enough to do the work they've missed. if not, it's their fault. my college wouldn't allow trips like this if people didn't manage. most other trips at my college are during holidays or much less than 2 weeks long. languages are an exception because you can only go when the school abroad is open. they've been running the trip for years without any problems with students missing work. most people going aren't even sitting AS levels this year.

It depends on whether teachers are prepared to give up their holidays and our staff are. The dates I posted were from a German website ...

Quick Reply

Latest