The Student Room Group

Should the highest rate of income tax be raised to 50%

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RedManc
It was still a better decade then the 80's

So how come your not standing by your point??
Is it because all the figures stack up against your statement?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RedManc
The income tax rate for top earners are too low in my opinion. At one point during the 1970's, the top rate of income tax was 97%.

Also , I think you go need to learn some economics my friends. Take a look at the laffer curve.

Reply 22
Original post by fleky6910
So how come your not standing by your point??
Is it because all the figures stack up against your statement?

I still believe in what i said earlier. I'm not bothered in developing the point further
Original post by RedManc
I still believe in what i said earlier. I'm not bothered in developing the point further

Waffle , the figures clearly show your wrong.

Original post by RedManc
. I'm not bothered in developing the point further

Because you can't, you know Im right and denying the facts , lol!
Original post by RedManc
. I'm not bothered

Also another reason we shouldn't raise the top rate of tax for hard working people and give it to people like you
(edited 7 years ago)
Only if the Government can actually put it to good use
Original post by Jammy Duel
It's too high in my opinion, it used to be 10%.

Also it wasn't 97% in the 70s, it was 83% with a 15% surcharge on "investment income" and funnily enough the country experienced a brain drain and the tax didn't raise much money. I'll also present to you this chart (link in "this"

I'm sure you can spot a trend in there.

Not really, as the variables and intervals are too irregular to be meaningful (an entire 40 percentiles removed for the last two time periods, for instance).

Beyond that, we should first note that the initially included 1976-77 figures have been omitted, because they mess up the implied trend a bit, being virtually identical to the figures for 1981-82.

Secondly, it ignores income changes. Income disparities between the upper percentiles and everyone else have increased significantly since the 1970s, so it's hardly surprising that their proportion of tax revenue increased.

Thirdly, prior to the introduction of the 83+15% rate in 1974, the top rate had been 90% more or less since WW2 (including a 75+15% rate from 1971-74). So we would have to conclude that the economic malaises of the 1970s were either i) not significantly caused by the change in tax rates at all, or ii) only significantly caused by the rise from 90% to 98%.
Original post by fleky6910
Also , I think you go need to learn some economics my friends. Take a look at the laffer curve.

Oh, the irony.

Also, the graph doesn't really tell us anything - it neglects to mention that the 50% rate was only introduced in 2010.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Only if the Government can actually put it to good use

Could use it to pay teachers.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

:borat:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

She said a good use.

:troll:
Original post by Friar Chris
She said a good use.

:troll:

I'm sure the money could be used to make doctors lives harder.
Original post by RedManc
She is a hero for middle class greedy pigs. She done the working class no favours. She created the welfare culture

Thatcher created welfare culture?

To believe that one has to assume that the working class are so dense, that they are unable to work it out that living on benefits is a **** life...........

Newsflash, people who choose to live off benefits are not the working class,

They are the idle class and the actual working class despise them.
Reply 32
Original post by joe cooley

To believe that one has to assume that the working class are so dense, that they are unable to work it out that living on benefits is a **** life...........

You're right, I think you misunderstood me, what I meant is Thatcher made 3 million unemployed, and created a benefit culture in some areas of the country.
Original post by RedManc
You're right, I think you misunderstood me, what I meant is Thatcher made 3 million unemployed, and created a benefit culture in some areas of the country.

Are you still trying to educate people even when i showed you labour did a worse job in the 70's , taught u didn't have the time to debate.

I showed him the facts , he doesn't like the facts!
Original post by RedManc

Nonsense i'm afraid.

Any person who decides* that living off benefits is an option is, by definition not working class.

They are parasites.

* Please note that word.
Reply 36
Nonsense i'm afraid.

Any person who decides* that living off benefits is an option is, by definition not working class.

They are parasites.

* Please note that word.

that's true, but for some there are no jobs to go to
Original post by RedManc
that's true, but for some there are no jobs to go to

Indeed it is, and that is why i highlighted my use of the word decides.

There have been periods in my life when work was hard to come by,mercifully few and far between so i know how hard it can be.

However, the thought of living off benefits never entered my head.

To suggest that Thatcher somehow turned decent hard working people into parasites happy to live off benefits is ridiculous.
Reply 38
Indeed it is, and that is why i highlighted my use of the word decides.

There have been periods in my life when work was hard to come by,mercifully few and far between so i know how hard it can be.

However, the thought of living off benefits never entered my head.

To suggest that Thatcher somehow turned decent hard working people into parasites happy to live off benefits is ridiculous.

I know it might sound absurd, but the extent to which Thatcher ruined manufacturing and industry is quite severe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOqOLZhemc
Original post by RedManc
I know it might sound absurd, but the extent to which Thatcher ruined manufacturing and industry is quite severe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOqOLZhemc

Unemployment was caused by labour , I showed you this!
Labour caused double digit inflation and unemployment. Thatcher fixed this mess by raising interest rates causing high unemployment. National debt fell , unemployment fell, gdp per rose, gdp per capita rose
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending