The Student Room Group

Differentiate y = 3sin^2 x e^5x – 1 with respect to x

Can anyone differentiate y = 3sin^2 x e^5x 1 with respect to x? I have completed the question, however as i don't have the answer to refer to i am not sure its 100% correct.

Any help?
Original post by zeesus699
Can anyone differentiate y = 3sin^2 x e^5x 1 with respect to x? I have completed the question, however as i don't have the answer to refer to i am not sure its 100% correct.

Any help?

Amended due to ambiguous notation:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=differentiate+y+%3D+3sin%5E2x+e%5E(5x-1)
(edited 7 years ago)
Absolute legend!

Remember the website. It is great for checking your work.
Reply 4
It turns out my working out are wrong, and i can't seem to find the correct method of producing that answer. Any guidance?
It turns out my working out are wrong, and i can't seem to find the correct method of producing that answer. Any guidance?

Post your working and someone will tell you where the error is.
Reply 6
So far, using the product rules.

y = 3sin^2 x e^5x 1
U=e^5x-1
V=3sin^2x

du/dv= e^5x-1
dv/du=6sin(x)cos(x)

Dy/dx= u*(dv/du) + V*(du/dx)

Dy/dx= e^5x-1 6sin(x)cos(x) + 3sin^2x e^5x-1

Any help in where i am going wrong? I am relatively new to doing this level of differentiating.
So far, using the product rules.

y = 3sin^2 x e^5x 1
U=e^5x-1
V=3sin^2x

du/dv= e^5x-1
dv/du=6sin(x)cos(x)

Dy/dx= u*(dv/du) + V*(du/dx)

Dy/dx= e^5x-1 6sin(x)cos(x) + 3sin^2x e^5x-1

Any help in where i am going wrong? I am relatively new to doing this level of differentiating.

Ok I can see the problem. Your notation was ambiguous. I interpreted your question as e(5x)1e^{(5x)}-1 rather than e(5x1)e^{(5x-1)}. I'll amend the link to Wolfram. Also your dudx\frac{du}{dx} (NOT dudv\frac{du}{dv}) is wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
Ok I can see the problem. Your notation was ambiguous. I interpreted your question as e(5x)1e^{(5x)}-1 rather than e(5x1)e^{(5x-1)}. I'll amend the link to Wolfram. Also your dudx\frac{du}{dx} (NOT dudv\frac{du}{dv}) is wrong.

Much appreciated, however I have already amended it beforehand. Oh, and the "du/dv" was a typing error. Thanks for the correction.

I am having trouble trying to figure out how to differentiate more complex trigonometric functions more than anything, as my knowledge of them is not 100%. How would I go about trying to differentiate this?

Thanks
Much appreciated, however I have already amended it beforehand. Oh, and the "du/dv" was a typing error. Thanks for the correction.

I am having trouble trying to figure out how to differentiate more complex trigonometric functions more than anything, as my knowledge of them is not 100%. How would I go about trying to differentiate this?

Thanks

The trigonometric bit was correct. The exponential bit was incorrectly differentiated.

Unparseable latex formula:

\diplaystyle \frac{d}{dx} e^{ax+b} = a e^{ax+b}

Reply 10
20170107_115939.jpg

Excuse my bad hand writing
image.jpg
Original post by Gurtajs

Please read the Forum Rules at the top of the Maths Forum. Full worked solutions are not allowed. Just give hints please.
Original post by Olmeister

Please read the Forum Rules at the top of the Maths Forum. Full worked solutions are not allowed. Just give hints please.
Original post by Mr M

I have never seen these rules, and apologise as I did not realise that this is what the standards are. However, I feel that personally when I do post a question on here it is easier to get someone else's working and then compare it to my own. It gives me practice as well as the person asking the question.

I will keep to only posting hints in the future.
Reply 15
Original post by Olmeister
I have never seen these rules, and apologise as I did not realise that this is what the standards are. However, I feel that personally when I do post a question on here it is easier to get someone else's working and then compare it to my own. It gives me practice as well as the person asking the question.

I will keep to only posting hints in the future.

Much appreciated for the working out. I share your view on reviewing other peoples working and then comparing, it has just helped me remove a mental block that was slowing down my progress for my up and coming exam on Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest