The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Not by default I don't think as for example I know a couple of girls who don't experience any real pain, one feels so little she doesn't understand what others do at all. Now they're a minority, but it would seem unfair if they could take the same advantage as someone who has debilitating pain.

As I understand it quite a few women who have painful periods have endometriosis? Which is something not often looked into when it should be..
Original post by Bright_Gift
How does getting pregnant make someone less experienced??? Please explain

I am not sure if you are serious or not, please give a minute to your self and work through the process of pregnancies.
Is this for real? Cmon TSR you're making a bad name for feminism.
No I don't. Although it would be nice to have a day off 😂
Original post by Craghyrax
Yes it should, but only for women with doctor's letters confirming that they experience severe pain on periods. I know people who have very mild periods. Others, like me, ended up literally screaming in agony while horizontal with contractions :pinch: In my case I think it's wrong to have to have days like that come out of my holiday and paycheck when I can't help my gender.
The same applies for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. We can do more to make provisions for them.

Should men get a day off if we have a particularly tricky bowel movement?
If it's that bad, then women should take a sick day(s) if required. I wouldn't be so opposed if women voluntarily entered into an agreement with their employer that there pay was reduced by effectively a day if they took it once a month - but then, why wouldn't they just take a sick day... Also causes problems if many women go off at once, and especially for jobs involving shifts...!
Original post by heineken
Should men get a day off if we have a particularly tricky bowel movement?

Yes, by taking a sick day - hence why I feel women should do the same if they have especially bad period pains!
Original post by sleepysnooze
why don't you two get a room before you start getting into public displays of affection?
lol and mate, I gave you a full answer because I knew you'd tell me I wasn't answering you otherwise. and now you're ****ing spinning it around as if I'm "distracting" you by answering your own ****ing question?

We already have a room, umad you aren't invited?
Original post by sleepysnooze
then, for ****'s sake kid, prove to me that what I said was illogical
can you please just do this for god's sake?
could you maybe?
yeah?
back up your claims?
back up your ****ing claims?
because right now, you're looking like you're all bark and no ****ing bite
so have the ****ing common sense to prove you're not braindead and prove that what I said was illogical
now.

The only one looking like "all bark and no ****ing bite" is the aggressive guy barking on the internet...you think saying white homeless men imply white privilege doesn't exist. I have already pointed this out to you. And now you cry about me pleeeeeease showing you how you are illogical? Lulz. You are too funny :smile:
No. I've taken days off for it, sure, but I don't feel as if I should be entitled to take a day off.
Original post by discobish
So in Zambia women are allowed to take a day off for their period once a month, also known as 'Mother's Day'. :borat:

This day doesn't have to be taken on 'day one' - it can be taken at any time of the month when ladies feel their menstrual cycle is interrupting their work (e.g. stomach cramps/back aches leading up to etc). (Read it in full here)

Unsurprisingly, this has stirred up a lot of criticism from both males and females!

As much as it sounds like a good idea... what if 10 female employees all decide to take their 'Mother's Day' on the same day?! Workplaces could crumble :zomg:

Do you think this law is something that should be practiced in England/other countries? :hmmmm:

Or maybe you're completely against the idea?! :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

If it's too bad girls should phone in sick just like if they have flu or something.
it depends on how bad it is tbh
As long as men get days off for man flu I don't see a problem.
Original post by ChickenMadness
As long as men get days off for man flu I don't see a problem.

A made up issue vs a medical issue?
Original post by cherryred90s

I wouldn't call periods made up that's a bit harsh.
Original post by ChickenMadness
I wouldn't call periods made up that's a bit harsh.

Yea you're so funny
Original post by yudothis
The only one looking like "all bark and no ****ing bite" is the aggressive guy barking on the internet...you think saying white homeless men imply white privilege doesn't exist. I have already pointed this out to you. And now you cry about me pleeeeeease showing you how you are illogical? Lulz. You are too funny :smile:

you have a weird single-dimensional notion of "privilege", don't you
you're telling me that privilege can only be in x category, but not in a whole host of others another
surely you must accept that if one race is more likely to be homeless, which is the OPPOSITE of privilege, or more likely to commit suicide, or more likely to be assaulted, or massively more likely to be mutilated at birth, or more likely to be seen as paedophiles, or having no reproductive rights, or having a higher retirement age and therefore a lower pension, or not having the law protect them against "rape", or a court system that discriminates against them in both criminal AND family law (custody, marriage, incarceration, etc), or being convicted of false rape charges, that is symptomatic of a LACK of privilege? literally: what world do you live in where THIS^ looks like "privilege" you daft ****

now answer my ****ing question - disprove how my statement that assistance (i.e. this law) is requisite for inferiority - why would somebody get assistance if they weren't at a disadvantage or of a status of inferiority? you need aid to remedy a defect for social justice, but social justice =/= equality, it's equity. giving "equity" to one gender is to say that they are lesser. so if women are lesser and must be MADE equal in a synthetic sense, then, again, they are inferior via this law. disprove my reasoning. you would literally have to be claiming that a disadvantage is a sign of equality. and I'm not talkming about "difference", i.e. the difference between both genders and BETWEEN genders. so
try it - have a go. give me a ****ing laugh.
(edited 7 years ago)
My opinion echoes that of a lot of people on this thread: if it's really bad, take a sick day.

Employers shouldn't be obliged to give all their female workers an extra two weeks paid leave each year. If we want to end job and pay discrimination, this isn't going to help. With maternity leave on top of it who on Earth would want to hire a young woman?
Original post by cherryred90s

Whereas periods aren't exaggerated by women...sigh.
No. Just take some medication and be done with it. If your argument is that it pains really bad despite taking medication then just ask your GP/Health Practitioner to issue you a medical letter/note.

Alternatively, if this is introduced, then there shouldn't be complaints about declining wage gaps. You cannot expect companies to not factor in the discrepancies in the amount of work being per pound/hour by males and females in the same occupation. If women get more leaves, they most likely will see wage gaps which I'd say are totally understandable. However, I don't think this is a great idea as not all women have the same cycles and can lead to fluctuations in the workforce size which in turn affects productivity and also makes it harder to meet certain targets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending