The Student Room Group

Is it possible for someone to hack into your webcam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EC
Oh my god, intimacy is completely disappearing.

Hate to break it to you but gone ages ago. Just avoid dodgy websites and you should be alright though, script kiddies aren't very smart, they just used already made tools.
Reply 41
Original post by Abdukazam
Hate to break it to you but gone ages ago. Just avoid dodgy websites and you should be alright though, script kiddies aren't very smart, they just used already made tools.

I mean I didn't think it was that easy to steal information. People have their entire life on their computer. Lol..
Saying it's easy to hack is like saying it's easy to day trade, it sure is if you can outsmart most people including experts.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer? :colonhash:
So I could be being watched right now as I type this?

Yes they can actually...

All they need to do is to create a malicious software or "backdoor" to gain entry to your computer. Once inside, their code or software can then get "root access" and make use of all the hardware peripherals via their drivers - if that makes sense.

My advise would be to cover your webcam - if unless of course you are talking to someone on say Skype
Not if you're careful. It's mainly done through Trojan horses, so if you're aware of it and are good with computers you should be fine, specially if you're on a Linux OS.
Original post by l'etranger
Saying it's easy to hack is like saying it's easy to day trade, it sure is if you can outsmart most people including experts.

AV software is usually horribly bulky, slow and insecure. You can compromise the AV itself!
yes, but it's very difficult and people who claim they're "hacking into your webcam" probably have no clue about that kind of thing.
Original post by Kravence
A Trojan hack can easily bypass it and turn off the light so you won't know

Nope, in modern laptops and webcams, the light isn't powered by software, so it's not possible. If power is delivered to the camera, power is also automatically delivered to the light. You can't modify that without actually opening up the laptop or camera and messing around with the wiring.
Original post by oShahpo
Not if you're careful. It's mainly done through Trojan horses, so if you're aware of it and are good with computers you should be fine, specially if you're on a Linux OS.

One benefit of Linux based OS is packages are often audited and they're on an official website as such, you're warned if you download software from a third party which doesn't have a trusted key. The packages can obviously be compromised, but it's less easier since they're open to public scrutiny.
One benefit of Linux based OS is packages are often audited and they're on an official website as such, you're warned if you download software from a third party which doesn't have a trusted key. The packages can obviously be compromised, but it's less easier since they're open to public scrutiny.

Exactly!
Not to mention the fact that you can more easily inspect the code of whatever you're downloading or using than on Windows, which is often impossible.
AV software is usually horribly bulky, slow and insecure. You can compromise the AV itself!

No it's not, it's completely suitable for the uses of most people and whilst I'm sure it could be compromised by huge expenditure of resources, you would have to have pretty damn sexy nudes to justify the level of resources required to break in. The media should stop using words like ''hack'' and use more honest language such as ''figured out their password'', ''set up an open wi-fi network in a public place which some idiot accessed'' or ''phoned up some old lady and told her you're from Microsoft'' because that more accurately describes what happens in most cases. It's pretty much always due to sheer stupidity or someone gaining inappropriate access to a system due to espionage or malpractice rather than a shifty computer genius in a bunker in Siberia.
Original post by EC
I mean I didn't think it was that easy to steal information. People have their entire life on their computer. Lol..

There's some right psychos online tbh :lol:

I remember reading some guy hacked into a baby monitor and started swearing at it and woke the parents up :rofl:
Reply 52
This makes me laugh. If it's literally this easy to '''''hack''''' then it would be easy to plug the flaws in software. Most internet security packages will scan files before you open them so even if you convinced a random stranger just download something, it's not like it's gonna be plain sailing.

You want to experiment :colone: jk

Do you understand how internet security packages work?

They scan files for malicious code. A unencrypted virus will easily get picked up because the code used is in a blacklisted database. However, a virus which has been encrypted, meaning the code used for the virus has been encrypted using a sophisticated algorithm. Most viruses that have been encrypted stay FUD (Fully undetectable) for about a week.

Don't believe me, see for yourself https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=darkcomet+trolling
Original post by EC
And how do you verify if someone actually accessed your webcam?

The only thing you could do to see whether your computer has been hacked is to check corrupted files and activity logs. This will give you clues about an eventual intrusion, from the type of intrusion you will be able to know whether the hacker had access to the camera or not , but that's all you can do. If you are that scared about access to your webcam, tape a piece of paper on the lens and remove only when you are ready to use it(that's what I do).
No it's not, it's completely suitable for the uses of most people and whilst I'm sure it could be compromised by huge expenditure of resources, you would have to have pretty damn sexy nudes to justify the level of resources required to break in. The media should stop using words like ''hack'' and use more honest language such as ''figured out their password'', ''set up an open wi-fi network in a public place which some idiot accessed'' or ''phoned up some old lady and told her you're from Microsoft'' because that more accurately describes what happens in most cases. It's pretty much always due to sheer stupidity or someone gaining inappropriate access to a system due to espionage or malpractice rather than a shifty computer genius in a bunker in Siberia.

It's really not though, honestly no idea what kind of algorithms these AV guys use since most are closed source but they clearly don't work. Go to a random website, click a dodgy link and you'll be compromised in minutes.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Nope, in modern laptops and webcams, the light isn't powered by software, so it's not possible. If power is delivered to the camera, power is also automatically delivered to the light. You can't modify that without actually opening up the laptop or camera and messing around with the wiring.

No, not powered. Controlled by software.

It's very possible and is being actively used on people now.

No wiring of any sort is required.
Original post by LeTamoul
The only thing you could do to see whether your computer has been hacked is to check corrupted files and activity logs. This will give you clues about an eventual intrusion, from the type of intrusion you will be able to know whether the hacker had access to the camera or not , but that's all you can do. If you are that scared about access to your webcam, tape a piece of paper on the lens and remove only when you are ready to use it(that's what I do).

Unless they compromise the system logger :lol:. Tbh most hackers just don't know much about low level system programming to do a lot of damage if you're careful you should be fine.
Reply 57
There's some right psychos online tbh :lol:

I remember reading some guy hacked into a baby monitor and started swearing at it and woke the parents up :rofl:

Smh. :rofl: If something like this happens to a baby who didn't even have time to do bad in the world....then there's no hope for us.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naruke
You want to experiment :colone: jk

Do you understand how internet security packages work?

They scan files for malicious code. A unencrypted virus will easily get picked up because the code used is in a blacklisted database. However, a virus which has been encrypted, meaning the code used for the virus has been encrypted using a sophisticated algorithm. Most viruses that have been encrypted stay FUD (Fully undetectable) for about a week.

Don't believe me, see for yourself https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=darkcomet+trolling

Because it's not like modern anti-virus packages can scan for coding of a suspicious nature and determine that it's likely malicious even if it's not on the database or anything. It's just a database and nothing else, change the file name and you can break in. :rolleyes: This thread is the computing equivalent of some A level student moaning about the sample sizes used in academic papers which have been rigorously determined by professional statisticians, who have a thorough knowledge of the law of large numbers and the central limit theorem and a load of stupid girlies just lapping up the ******** because they think some fatass neckbeard actually cares enough about seeing them naked.
Reply 59
It's not dodgy websites though. You don't just pick up a virus by going on a dodgy website.

It's downloading dodgy things that cause viruses. Example: Facebook Hacker, Twitter Hacker, unlimited brazzers membership

Quick Reply

Latest