The Student Room Group

Grades????

In my mocks from October and December, I got mostly A's with two B's for science. How do I get those to A*s? I feel like no matter how much I revise, I just can't get to an A* and I don't want to settle for just A's when I know I can do better.
The GCSEs I'm doing are the usual Maths, English Lang, English Lit and Double Science along with RE (which was necessary at our school), History, Economics, Business Studies and German. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

Past Papers - Revision - Notes

(A*) - Science, I would suggest Youtube Videos and making notes (It helped me A* Bio A* Chem A* Physics)
(A*) -Maths- Past Papers and a lot of them and for English I am not too sure because I kind off failed (C)
(A*) -RE - Making notes and asking friends to test you and finally exam past papers to understand what type of questions would come up ect.
(A*) -Business - A* in coursework which helped a lot and trying to do past papers so you can apply your knowledge to the question... *Applied Business* > *Applied*

As for English Lan > History > Economics > German = I am not too sure, I got (C) in English and I didn't do the other subjects.

I got 10A*S and C (English)
Hope this helped :smile:

Original post by CookieSusee
x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Shahbaaz
Past Papers - Revision - Notes

(A*) - Science, I would suggest Youtube Videos and making notes (It helped me A* Bio A* Chem A* Physics)
(A*) -Maths- Past Papers and a lot of them and for English I am not too sure because I kind off failed (C)
(A*) -RE - Making notes and asking friends to test you and finally exam past papers to understand what type of questions would come up ect.
(A*) -Business - A* in coursework which helped a lot and trying to do past papers so you can apply your knowledge to the question... *Applied Business* > *Applied*

As for English Lan > History > Economics > German = I am not too sure, I got (C) in English and I didn't do the other subjects.

I got 10A*S and C (English)
Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you so much! Also, did you know every bit of information inside out? How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? Sorry for more questions but your grades are amazing!!
Thank you so much! Also, did you know every bit of information inside out? How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? Sorry for more questions but your grades are amazing!!

Thank you so much! <3<3<3<3 Anytime (PM if you need more help)

Did you know every bit of information inside out? For the most part, yes but I was always like this... I always wanted to be the best #1 but I wasn't a snob like other people... I helped my friends ect.

How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? I kind off started revising a bit late (Late Jan / Early Feb) well it's still early compared to my friends but I started revising early Feb. I balanced my life with education and fun. During GCSEs and earlier, I was a kid that messed about but when it was work time, I would listen and work *Heads Down and Revise* so, I knew the content but I just *re* visited it. When I started revising, I would revise for 30 mins for each subject (looking at class notes and if in class I didn't understand something, I would write it down and revisit it and try to understand it as well as ask the teachers. I had 2 types of friends. Work Friends and Best-Close Friends. Work Friends were friends that I could ask questions relating school work etc. and Close Friends were friends I went parties with and friends I love. Balance is Key..

Before starting revision, make a timetable. (Monday to Friday) i would suggest 6 subjects (30mins each)

Monday - Business Studies - 10 Mins on StakeHolders - 10 Mins on 10 Marker. 12:00 Physics - Revise Circuits *MAKE IT DETAILED"
Monday to Friday

School Days - Finish school & ready for revision ect by 6:00, 6 Subs 30 mins each finish by 8 and then mess about, watch tv do whatever ect..

Weekends - Wake up 8:00 and follow the school timetable.. 12:20 till 1:00 (LUNCH) and then revise until 3 but for every hour take 5 mins off to get water ect / toilet.

Sorry this is messy and long <3 Hope you understand :smile: Message again.. i am all good and down to helping

-S
Reply 4
Thank you so much! <3<3<3<3 Anytime (PM if you need more help)

Did you know every bit of information inside out? For the most part, yes but I was always like this... I always wanted to be the best #1 but I wasn't a snob like other people... I helped my friends ect.

How much did you revise and when did you start proper revision? I kind off started revising a bit late (Late Jan / Early Feb) well it's still early compared to my friends but I started revising early Feb. I balanced my life with education and fun. During GCSEs and earlier, I was a kid that messed about but when it was work time, I would listen and work *Heads Down and Revise* so, I knew the content but I just *re* visited it. When I started revising, I would revise for 30 mins for each subject (looking at class notes and if in class I didn't understand something, I would write it down and revisit it and try to understand it as well as ask the teachers. I had 2 types of friends. Work Friends and Best-Close Friends. Work Friends were friends that I could ask questions relating school work etc. and Close Friends were friends I went parties with and friends I love. Balance is Key..

Before starting revision, make a timetable. (Monday to Friday) i would suggest 6 subjects (30mins each)

Monday - Business Studies - 10 Mins on StakeHolders - 10 Mins on 10 Marker. 12:00 Physics - Revise Circuits *MAKE IT DETAILED"
Monday to Friday

School Days - Finish school & ready for revision ect by 6:00, 6 Subs 30 mins each finish by 8 and then mess about, watch tv do whatever ect..

Weekends - Wake up 8:00 and follow the school timetable.. 12:20 till 1:00 (LUNCH) and then revise until 3 but for every hour take 5 mins off to get water ect / toilet.

Sorry this is messy and long <3 Hope you understand :smile: Message again.. i am all good and down to helping

-S

Oh my god thank you so much and it's not a mess at all thank you for the detail!!! :smile:
Oh my god thank you so much and it's not a mess at all thank you for the detail!!! :smile:

Thanks & Also remember GCSEs is a minor thing...

I got 10A*S and C and I am in my first year of Sixth Form and no one cares or seems to be bothered about GCSEs..
GCSEs are only to get you into your ALevel course.

Getting All B's is good (You need a minimum of 'B' to get into a specific course.)

I am studying (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Business Studies and Art) and considering (Keble College (Oxford), UCL, Imperial, St Andrews and Manchester for Pure Physics {Physics}

Aiming for AS / A-Levels (Hopefully)
Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
Further Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
Physics (AS = A / A-Level A*)
Art (AS = A and A-Level A*)
Business Studies (AS = A and Dropping it)

Using the same[ish] strategy.

Good Luck <3

Btw what are you hoping to study at A levels and perhaps Uni (If you have thought about it)
Perfect explanation
Reply 7
In my mocks from October and December, I got mostly A's with two B's for science. How do I get those to A*s? I feel like no matter how much I revise, I just can't get to an A* and I don't want to settle for just A's when I know I can do better.
The GCSEs I'm doing are the usual Maths, English Lang, English Lit and Double Science along with RE (which was necessary at our school), History, Economics, Business Studies and German. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Definitely get Memrise for German. You can either use the website's own German course or search for your exam board and all the necessary vocab should be there. Also go through past papers and highlight/note down any vocab you didn't know and memorise it, chances are it's going to come up again. You could also go through the speaking transcripts and do the same. Languages at GCSE are all about vocab learning so the more you know, the better :redface:

Good luck!
yeah, for me no one cares about what i got for my gcses. Its only used for your alevel subjects.

btw are you at Uni? *Which one and what course*
Anyone help me with English please?
Reply 10
Thanks & Also remember GCSEs is a minor thing...

I got 10A*S and C and I am in my first year of Sixth Form and no one cares or seems to be bothered about GCSEs..
GCSEs are only to get you into your ALevel course.

Getting All B's is good (You need a minimum of 'B' to get into a specific course.)

I am studying (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Business Studies and Art) and considering (Keble College (Oxford), UCL, Imperial, St Andrews and Manchester for Pure Physics {Physics}

Aiming for AS / A-Levels (Hopefully)
Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
Further Maths (AS = A / A-Level A*)
Physics (AS = A / A-Level A*)
Art (AS = A and A-Level A*)
Business Studies (AS = A and Dropping it)

Using the same[ish] strategy.

Good Luck <3

Btw what are you hoping to study at A levels and perhaps Uni (If you have thought about it)

Yeaahh a lot of people say theyre minor but I'm just determined on doing the best I can since I know it's possible for me to do well. Also, good luck on getting those grades, though I don't think you'll need it since you probably will get A's anyway!! At A Level, I chose Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy and Ethics but I'm thinking of changing Philosophy and Ethics after realising it's basically Religious Studies. I'm thinking of doing either a Maths or Economics degree at university but if I manage to get amazing grades I might try and do the PPE degree at oxford but it's probably out of my reach. Either way I'm determined to just work hard. Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Reply 11
That's very true actually thank you. I'll work on applying knowledge and doing more exam style questions! Thank you so much:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Hopetodogoood101

Lang or lit?
Reply 13
That's what I thought but since I'm doing the new A Levels which include no AS Levels, the London School of Economics (my dream university) have said they'll use GCSE to help them make offers for applicants so I'm a bit worried about that
Reply 14
Original post by etudiebee
Definitely get Memrise for German. You can either use the website's own German course or search for your exam board and all the necessary vocab should be there. Also go through past papers and highlight/note down any vocab you didn't know and memorise it, chances are it's going to come up again. You could also go through the speaking transcripts and do the same. Languages at GCSE are all about vocab learning so the more you know, the better :redface:

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice!! I actually only started German in December so I need to revise as effectively as I can in the next 4 months haha
Reply 15
Original post by Hopetodogoood101

Language or literature? Either way, search for Mr Bruff on youtube, he has videos on so many texts, exam techniques and more. I always watch his videos once then again but the second time, I pause and take notes.
My english teacher always said that he could teach you to get an A/B but he couldn't teach you to get an A* as it has to come from you. Those with flair are usually the ones who get A*s. This only applies to subjective humanity subjects though. Put the time and effort in and you could get an A* in any STEM subject :h:
Reply 17
I guess that's true. Thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by drriversong
My english teacher always said that he could teach you to get an A/B but he couldn't teach you to get an A* as it has to come from you. Those with flair are usually the ones who get A*s. This only applies to subjective humanity subjects though. Put the time and effort in and you could get an A* in any STEM subject :h:

Ah, I guess I'll just have to try my best then, :bigsmile: thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending