The Student Room Group

Taking a year out during university (before third year)

Hi.. Need a bit of advice on whether or not I should take a year out of uni before my third year starts in september..

I'm currently on a student exchange in America for my whole second year, which I'll be coming back to England in May, then doing a work season abroad throughout summer in Cyprus. But since Ive been here its made me realise that there is much more to the world than England..

Im just trying to weigh up my options to go travelling or not before completing my final year of uni.. I know that I can always come back to finish my degree whenever I want, but travelling wont be always waiting for me sorta thing. I have a few friends out in Aus and Thailand and it looks amazing :frown:

Anyone got a perspective on this?
Original post by Jamie11x
Hi.. Need a bit of advice on whether or not I should take a year out of uni before my third year starts in september..

I'm currently on a student exchange in America for my whole second year, which I'll be coming back to England in May, then doing a work season abroad throughout summer in Cyprus. But since Ive been here its made me realise that there is much more to the world than England..

Im just trying to weigh up my options to go travelling or not before completing my final year of uni.. I know that I can always come back to finish my degree whenever I want, but travelling wont be always waiting for me sorta thing. I have a few friends out in Aus and Thailand and it looks amazing :frown:

Anyone got a perspective on this?

Question (as someone who wants to go travelling after their final year of uni): how about after your final year?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Question (as someone who wants to go travelling after their final year of uni): how about after your final year?

I did think about that too. But I feel like I need a bit of a break, I know that if I did go after my final year of uni I would have more money behind me etc but I'm just itching to go and not think twice about it.

Another Q is, would my university let me take a gap year inbetween uni? do you have to get permission from the department or? I'm doing a dance degree so Im not 100% sure their answer will be a yes..
I did think about that too. But I feel like I need a bit of a break, I know that if I did go after my final year of uni I would have more money behind me etc but I'm just itching to go and not think twice about it.

Another Q is, would my university let me take a gap year inbetween uni? do you have to get permission from the department or? I'm doing a dance degree so Im not 100% sure their answer will be a yes..

I see, that makes sense to be fair.

As for your second question, best person to speak to is someone from your uni or look it up on the website if it is there. For example, I just did that and the relevant page is here:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/suspending-your-studies-or-leaving-the-university/

But look at your uni anyway and see what they say

:redface: good luck whatever happens, Aus is on my list of places to go to in my 'gap year' too :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
I see, that makes sense to be fair.

As for your second question, best person to speak to is someone from your uni or look it up on the website if it is there. For example, I just did that and the relevant page is here:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/suspending-your-studies-or-leaving-the-university/

But look at your uni anyway and see what they say

:redface: good luck whatever happens, Aus is on my list of places to go to in my 'gap year' too :tongue:

I've weighed up my options and I think I'm actually gonna wait until I finish, itl be too much hassle really to stop and start again plus ive already put money down for third year house ffs.

Aus is where I'll be starting so if you wanna join me and my friend feel free! :smile:
I've weighed up my options and I think I'm actually gonna wait until I finish, itl be too much hassle really to stop and start again plus ive already put money down for third year house ffs.

Aus is where I'll be starting so if you wanna join me and my friend feel free! :smile:

Ohh yeah, house deposits and contracts are a pain...

I think what you're doing is probably the best option though, and will hopefully motivate you in the third year (cause it's difficult to find :rofl:)

I might take you up on that :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending