The Student Room Group

Major/minor degree vs Joint Honours

What's the difference? Is one to an extent 'better' than the other? Or does it not make a difference? (this is about a degree concerning maths with business management).
Reply 1
Original post by NeeIam
What's the difference? Is one to an extent 'better' than the other? Or does it not make a difference? (this is about a degree concerning maths with business management).

That entirely depends on what YOU like and want to achieve in the future. If you're interested in other subjects other than Mathematics and would like to learn along side it, then joint honours are for you. If not, then straight Maths. Regardless in what you choose, you can still get into the exact same careerr. Degree title really doesn't mean anything, especially for Maths.

Major/minor degrees are degrees which consist of learning 75% a certain subject (major), and 25% on a different one (minor). Joint honours are split 50/50.
Reply 2
It's just a question of weight and thus depends on where your interest lies and what you want to do in the future.

A joint honours would be called Maths and Business management which would mean that both subjects have equal weight to your overall degree
whereas a major/minor Maths with Business management means that you mostly study maths with a bit of business on the side.
Reply 3
Original post by Tols
It's just a question of weight and thus depends on where your interest lies and what you want to do in the future.

A joint honours would be called Maths and Business management which would mean that both subjects have equal weight to your overall degree
whereas a major/minor Maths with Business management means that you mostly study maths with a bit of business on the side.

Oh I was just kinda worried that doing one of these degrees could be seen as idk less desirable but yeah I get it, I've applied to do maths with business management hence listed as a major/minor degree.
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
That entirely depends on what YOU like and want to achieve in the future. If you're interested in other subjects other than Mathematics and would like to learn along side it, then joint honours are for you. If not, then straight Maths. Regardless in what you choose, you can still get into the exact same careerr. Degree title really doesn't mean anything, especially for Maths.

Major/minor degrees are degrees which consist of learning 75% a certain subject (major), and 25% on a different one (minor). Joint honours are split 50/50.

I've applied for maths with business management and therefore it's a 75/25 split but I was just questioning it because I kinda think I'd like to do a 100% maths degree. But I've already applied so yeah
Reply 5
Original post by NeeIam
I've applied for maths with business management and therefore it's a 75/25 split but I was just questioning it because I kinda think I'd like to do a 100% maths degree. But I've already applied so yeah

You can change to straight Maths if you get an offer. Lots of uni offer optional modules on other subjects, so if you do decide to go with straight Maths you'll still be able to do Economics, Comp Sci and even humanities modules (you'll have to check if the uni you've applied to offer these options).

Quick Reply

Latest