The Student Room Group

Is it possible for someone to hack into your webcam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdukazam
I think you have a very low opinion of CS undergrads... A simple hack with already written software on some poorly written camera just isn't that difficult. You can ask them yourself... What exactly is your objection?

+ CS grads don't do much security work anyway...

I don't have a low opinion of CS undergrads, I think it's one of the best degrees and I highly respect the field, I have a low opinion of hotshots who think they know better than industry experts who have been handpicked for their natural talent and have years of experience to boot.
Yes, it likely is possible. My parents have covered up their webcam with tape after finding out this is possible (as they don't use their webcam). I do use mine so am not covering it but I am very careful about what websites I visit so the chances of anything happening are virtually zero.
Original post by l'etranger
I don't have a low opinion of CS grads, I think it's one of the best degrees and I highly respect the field, I have a low opinion of hotshots who think they know better than industry experts who have been handpicked for their natural talent and have years of experience to boot.

Can you name one for me?

Just one more question:
Why do you think companies like Red Hat, SUSE, Google, Ubuntu don't use anti-virus software, and yet their products are run on most web servers, sensitive computers and even NASA? (not to mention the NSA)

As far as i'm concerned i'm just saying what all the experts have been saying for years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Here you go

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/9203

Or are Red Hat employees not experts?
Can you name one for me?

Just one more question:
Why do you think companies like Red Hat, SUSE, Google, Ubuntu don't use anti-virus software, and yet their products are run on most web servers, sensitive computers and even NASA?

As far as i'm concerned i'm just saying what all the experts have been saying for years.

John McAfee.

Firstly Ubuntu is not a company, it's an operating system, the company is Canonical. The reason they don't use antivirus software is likely because they have their own bespoke inhouse security systems because a) they can afford it and b) they know they are likely targets for professional hacking groups.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by spotify95
Yes, it likely is possible. My parents have covered up their webcam with tape after finding out this is possible (as they don't use their webcam). I do use mine so am not covering it but I am very careful about what websites I visit so the chances of anything happening are virtually zero.

lol omg

I give up
John McAfee.

Firstly Ubuntu is not a company, it's an operating system. The reason they don't use antivirus software is likely because they their own bespoke inhouse security systems because a) they can afford it and b) they know they are likely targets for professional hacking groups.

Now you're resorting to pedantry, I know it's not a company, but if I said the company name you might not have known what it was

Here take a look for yourself
Original post by Pikachū
Yes but most webcams now have a light which HAS to turn on when the camera is in use so you will know.

Said light appears whenever I turn on my laptop.

Should I be worried?
Original post by Naruke
Believe me, you don't need the slightest bit of intelligence to pull this off. I'm confident that you could type into Youtube "How to hack into a webcam" and a tutorial would come up explaining all there is to know.

I take Computer-Science, so I know a bit about this. A 'Hacker' or a 'Script kiddie' will purchase a RAT (Remote Administration Tool). Having access to a RAT means you can build a virus/stub, this is what gives 'hackers' remote administration over your computer. All they need to do is send you the virus, you download it and then they can do anything they want with your computer.

Note:

Just because you don't see your blue light on, doesn't mean they are not watching you. Most RATs can turn on your webcam but prevent the light from showing.

Anti-Virus will not help you, since there are things called Crypters. Crypters allow viruses to go undetected.

Hackers can bind normal files to viruses. Example, say you wanted to download a song. You could download the song and be downloading a virus in the background without knowing. So, when the download is finished you will have your song but wouldn't know you also just downloaded a virus...

Can't modern antivirus/trojan software, pick up on this, such as malware bytes??
Original post by Michiyo
Said light appears whenever I turn on my laptop.

Should I be worried?

does it turn on as soon as you press the power button? or when windows is fully loaded?
Reply 90
Original post by Naruke
lol omg

I give up

:lol:
Now you're resorting to pedantry, I know it's not a company, but if I said the company name you might not have known what it was

Here take a look for yourself

Saying some operating systems don't come with anti-virus software because by their nature they are less vulnerable to attack is not the same as saying anti-virus software is useless for those operating systems such as Windows which are more vulnerable.
Original post by Pikachū
does it turn on as soon as you press the power button? or when windows is fully loaded?

As soon as I press the power button.

Sorry, I am not good with technology. I know it is probably nothing, but I wanted to check. X3
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer? :colonhash:
So I could be being watched right now as I type this?

The NSA are known for doing this. In my experience of Computer Science and coding, its VERY easy to access people's webcams. :smile:

I personally follow after Edward Snowden (the guy who exposed NSA's mass surveillance) and I've disabled my webcam driver and I've put a little tape over it. :smile:
Original post by Michiyo
As soon as I press the power button.

Sorry, I am not good with technology. I know it is probably nothing, but I wanted to check. X3

then no, just sounds like a malfuntion, the camera cant turn on that fast. Still tape your webcam just incase though
Saying some operating systems don't come with anti-virus software because by their nature they are less vulnerable to attack is not the same as saying anti-virus software is useless for those operating systems such as Windows which are more vulnerable.

They are vulnerable due to poor design choices, AV is ineffective way of dealing with these. You've been asking for the opinions of experts, and I get that fine, anyone can claim anything on the Internet, but Red Hat, a multi million dollar company which is extremely well known and authoritative, has said they don't see the need in anti virus software on their systems. You either do or you don't want the opinions of experts...
Original post by Pikachū
then no, just sounds like a malfuntion, the camera cant turn on that fast. Still tape your webcam just incase though

Any idea how to solve the malfunction? XD

Thank you a lot :hugs:
They are vulnerable due to poor design choices, AV is ineffective way of dealing with these. You've been asking for the opinions of experts, and I get that fine, anyone can claim anything on the Internet, but Red Hat, a multi million dollar company which is extremely well known and authoritative, has said they don't see the need in anti virus software on their systems. You either do or you don't want the opinions of experts...

How many of the girls on here who are afraid of having their nudes stolen are running Linux?
Original post by Michiyo
Any idea how to solve the malfunction? XD

Thank you a lot :hugs:

Not sure, you'd probably have to uninstall the webcam driver which sounds too complicated lol
How many of the girls on here who are afraid of having their nudes stolen are running Linux?

Lots of them if they sending nudes on Android.

Not the point, AV is crap on Windows as well, it was a crap solution to a problem that really should be dealt with by MS themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest