The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Euthanasia should be permitted in the UK for the terminally ill - What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CookieButter
"Are you smoking crack"
"You are spouting some self help ********."
"You've objviously never seen a person die from cancer".

If this is your idea of a strong 'defence' of euthanasia then you're not a position to judge anyone really.

My reasons for why euthanasia should be legalised are in my Reddit post. Over 840 people have upvoted and agree. Lots of comments in agreement. I'm obviously not the only one that agrees. Put your comment on the Reddit post. I bet you'll get downvoted.
Original post by cascadingstylez
My reasons for why euthanasia should be legalised are in my Reddit post. Over 840 people have upvoted and agree. Lots of comments in agreement. I'm obviously not the only one that agrees. Put your comment on the Reddit post. I bet you'll get downvoted.

Good for you sweetheart.
Reply 42
It absolutely should- Euthanasia should be legal in a country with such a strong tradition of freedom and human rights, only if the condition of the patient is not likely to improve but also that the patient is in a capacity to be able to make that decision- if the decision was made by anybody other than the patient then it could be misconstrued in many cases as murder/manslaughter. The involvement of the patient's family without consent being given by the individual could also be misconstrued as per the previous instance- both are detrimental to the family of the individual and unfairly increase their level of suffering and grief. The role of doctors and medical professionals should also be considered; doctors swear an oath that they will preserve life- having direct involvement in the euthanasia process would clearly be of great concern to them and their duty to their patients, but doctors do not wish for patients to undergo excessive levels of suffering and pain. The UK Government should legalise Euthanasia for a non-profit organisation e.g., Dignitas to carry out Euthanasia, with support from medical professionals and each case should be overseen by an independent body to prevent negligence and to protect the patient and their families. As a country we do not show compassion to the illest in our society, and it despairs me to see such suffering where the terminally ill have to take legal action for their death- such actions should never have to be undertaken and the time for Euthanasia to be legalised is now, when the government finally decides to support the terminally ill and to show compassion to everyone in this country.
Original post by cascadingstylez
I originally posted it on /r/UnitedKingdom as it was the only place I felt it may get some traction. It was my Dad that died 2 days ago, and it was heartbreaking to watch him decline.

I'd like to raise this in parliament. I have no idea how, but I'll do my best to make some sort of attempt over the following year. There's a high chance it will happen to me, and when it does I want to go with dignity. I've already had Cancer once. My grandad died from the same Cancer too.

I think people deserve the right to die with dignity and not prolong their life to a point where it's suffering and pain.

For what it's worth, you may find this link useful in making your voice heard.
It's ridiculous that you'd make a human go through suffering you wouldn't put you dog through; but the legal, medical and ethical safeguards required to ensure it didn't just become a way of "getting rid of Granny" would have to be watertight, and then some.
Problem = pain
Cause = Terminal illness

Pain is often part of disease. There are two ways you can deal with it. You can RESPOND to pain and you can REACT to pain. Response is objective. Reaction is subjective. Response is 'addressing' pain. Reaction is running away from it. Response is seeking treatment. Reaction is ending your life. Response is a solution as it addresses the cause of the problem. Reaction is not a solution as it does not address the cause of the problem. Response is logical. Reaction is incomplete and illogical. Euthanasia is not a solution. Treatment is.

You do know what a terminal illness right? An illness that WILL kill you regardless of treatment. Typically this death will be long, protracted, humiliating and painful, give me a quick, painless death any day.
Original post by Gwilym101
You do know what a terminal illness right? An illness that WILL kill you regardless of treatment. Typically this death will be long, protracted, humiliating and painful, give me a quick, painless death any day.

Not necessarily so. No outcome/treatment is a certainty in medicine. one thing about this argument is for certain though, death is a contradictory, hypocritical 'solution' to pain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not necessarily so. No outcome/treatment is a certainty in medicine. one thing about this argument is for certain though, death is a contradictory, hypocritical 'solution' to pain.

For diseases that don't have treatments it damn well is a certainty.
Original post by Gwilym101
For diseases that don't have treatments it damn well is a certainty.

How is it a certainty of a solution when it does not address the cause? how is a certainty when you are attempting to stop a problem (that of pain) with an even bigger problem (that of death)? Think about it Gwilym
How is it a certainty of a solution when it does not address the cause? how is a certainty when you are attempting to stop a problem (that of pain) with an even bigger problem (that of death)? Think about it Gwilym

Because their death is going to happen anyway, people with terminal illness essentially have the choice of a horrible, painful, protracted, humiliating death or a dignified and painless one.
Are these people too good to pop too many pills, for a train, or to just off a bridge?

It's not replacing a problem with death.Death is going to happen either way. That's kind of the whole idea of a terminal illness.You have two options.Go on your own terms or be dragged out in unbearable pain.Either way death is the outcome but one death is obviously preferable to the other one.
Original post by Onde
Killing myself is the last thing I would do.

i agree with this
Original post by warwarrior
The person who is suffering has his right to stop his own life, if it is due to incurable deseases. This decision must be agreed by his family and the doctor, licet pro causa.

Why must it be agreed by the family? Definitely the doctor since they will be assisting the suicide.
Original post by sherlockfan
I would go even further and say that people who have a long suffering mental illness with no hope of recovery, like me, should be entitled to euthanasia as well.

Hmmm... This is interesting.
Original post by Cherub012
Why must it be agreed by the family? Definitely the doctor since they will be assisting the suicide.

Well... you may be right. I thought I would like to give my consense, but it must not be a conditio sine qua non.
Reply 55
Original post by Cherub012

That's the main thing I think about with assisted suicide, the impact on the Doctors.

If euthanasia was legalised I'd say a main part of it should be that doctors couldn't be forced to participate in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest