The Student Room Group

Geeks

I feel like a geek lately .I know it's a good think but I still feel awkward so do U guys mind listing some advantages?
(edited 7 years ago)
Being a geek is cool , I don't get this 'culture'(if you can call it that) of being thick . There's nothing funny about it , just look like a total dick.

Embrace your geekiness , embrace your brain ! There's nothing cooler than intelligence !!!
Reply 2
Original post by Karthika10
I feel like a geek lately .I knoe it's a good think but I still feel awkward so do I guys mind listing some advantages?

Greater chance of sitting on a beach while simultaneously running a company from your phone.
Reply 3
Original post by LeTamoul
Greater chance of sitting on a beach while simultaneously running a company from your phone.

Ohhhh thank u . I hope so tho
Reply 4
Original post by Supernova91
Being a geek is cool , I don't get this 'culture'(if you can call it that) of being thick . There's nothing funny about it , just look like a total dick.

Embrace your geekiness , embrace your brain ! There's nothing cooler than intelligence !!!

Thank u. N I guess it's true
Reply 5
Ohhhh thank u . I hope so tho

You're welcome, I believe that you will achieve your dreams.:wink:
depends what you mean by geek
if by geek you actually have some developed hobbies/interests - be a geek. that's actually good
you can be a geek and cool. there's no dichotomy. I find that the most interesting and funny people are usually somewhat "geeky". me and my friends all look and seem very "normal" but we're a bunch of secret nerds deep down, and only we know about it :lol: took us a while to discover that we were all secret nerds underneath our facades of normality
urban dictionary is pretty positive
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geek
geek
One of four titles used to classify someone based on their technical and social skills. The other three titles are nerd, dork, and normie. The difference between the four titles can be easily shown in table form:
................ Technical ...... Social
Title ............ Skills ......... Skills
---------- ---------------- ------------
Normie ......... No ............. Yes
Geek ........... Yes ............. Yes
Nerd ............ Yes ............. No
Dork ............ No .............. No

Normie: A normal person. Blah.

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.
Reply 8
Original post by sleepysnooze
depends what you mean by geek
if by geek you actually have some developed hobbies/interests - be a geek. that's actually good
you can be a geek and cool. there's no dichotomy. I find that the most interesting and funny people are usually somewhat "geeky". me and my friends all look and seem very "normal" but we're a bunch of secret nerds deep down, and only we know about it :lol: took us a while to discover that we were all secret nerds underneath our facades of normality
same! I don't have the nerd glasses or whatever but I'm still kinda nerdy😂😂 the thing is my best friends r not geeks so they make me feel kinda awkward. On the other hand I do have a bunch of nerd for friends too😉
Sometimes I get the benefit of spitting fiyah knowledge about something out of nowhere and people that don't know me well look like they've just seen the face of God.
Original post by LeTamoul

lol not really
Original post by CraigBackner
lol not really

All the techie CEOs would likely be classed as geeks and those companies are making the most money right now (Apple's margins are ****ing wild), so statistically yeah the chance would be greater, but not by huge amounts that people who give themselves the geek label like to think in order to feel about themselves.
same! I don't have the nerd glasses or whatever but I'm still kinda nerdy😂😂 the thing is my best friends r not geeks so they make me feel kinda awkward. On the other hand I do have a bunch of nerd for friends too😉

some of my friends like anime and it took until 2nd year for us to all spontaneously realise that we all liked it - we just didn't want to be the only "nerdy" person in our group :lol: but we were all that person. now me and one of my friends are really getting into computer specs and all that **** which is potentially worse
I would wear my glasses if I thought I suited them :lol: my eyesight is 17.5/18 which is really not very good but I still don't wear glasses due to it. not even contacts.
I have these: extra nerdy:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by sleepysnooze
some of my friends like anime and it took until 2nd year for us to all spontaneously realise that we all liked it - we just didn't want to be the only "nerdy" person in our group :lol: but we were all that person. now me and one of my friends are really getting into computer specs and all that **** which is potentially worse
I would wear my glasses if I thought I suited them :lol: my eyesight is 17.5/18 which is really not very good but I still don't wear glasses due to it. not even contacts.
I have these: extra nerdy:

oh u must count ur self lucky do have friends that experience those similar feelings. Tbh I think the glasses shouldn't be letying u down(even a bit) so maybe u might wanna look for ones u like with the same eyesight thing(sorry I don't kno much about glasses
Reply 14
Original post by Retired_Messiah
All the techie CEOs would likely be classed as geeks and those companies are making the most money right now (Apple's margins are ****ing wild), so statistically yeah the chance would be greater, but not by huge amounts that people who give themselves the geek label like to think in order to feel about themselves.

Thx I geuss I never rlly thought like that (Apple was created by a "geek")😊

Quick Reply

Latest