The Student Room Group

Is it possible for someone to hack into your webcam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bulletzone
Firstly, if anyone is going to "Hack" your Webcam it will be a cracker not a hacker.
What's the Difference?

A Hacker actually makes the stuff and knows the weak ends and points of the computer. A cracker uses the stuff without even knowing how they work and inflating there pathetic ego.

A Hacker would not target you unless you were (but not limited to): Rich or Famous.
A cracker would target anyone pretty much, but would get caught in the act.

Source
-meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Probably wrong lol

Pointless (and wrong) semantics.
Original post by Mactotaur
Pointless (and wrong) semantics.

yup
Nice pyjamas!
You need to do something (open the door), in order for the thief to walk in. I now use an ip bouncer, so my present computer can't be hacked, but i still think that some coding, a trojan of sorts, has been inserted in to my old system, to give microsoft some form of access. And it is no good just reinstalling everything, because for all i know i will fall down on the office installation, what happened last time, and thus require a call and systems management by microsoft again, which will let them install it all over again. The point is, that there are people out there, forums etc, with both the knowledge and means to fix computer problems like these free of charge. It normally takes some time and digging, but hopefully they will help me to do this. Let me send them a preliminary message, to get this looked at, right away....
Where my black mirror fans at?
Can't you just check security with anti-virus software?
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Can't you just check security with anti-virus software?

Anti-Virus can't detect all viruses. Read my replies above
Original post by EC
But how??? My webcam lights up when being used so I'd notice if it started going shiny blue on its own.

They can disable the light yknow. I'm MEANT to be security conscious given that I work in IT, and I've taken 3K worth of kit home (But only two firewalls lol!!) My view is "If someone wants to watch me sitting at a computer screen, they must be incredibly bored and...meh" I guess if you're say masturbating at the screen, then it's an issue. That's an episode of black mirror I believe.
no i think it is possible to hack webcam of others
I'm of the opinion that if a skilled hacker really wants to get into your system when they will (unless you're just as skilled at repulsing them). However, your average internet user will be reasonable safe as long as you don't do stupid things. Hackers, like most criminals, almost always go for the easy targets. A thief for example won't rob an police officer - they'll go for the elderly lady who'd be less capable of fighting back. Similarly, a hacker will generally target specific vulnerabilities that users have - they want maximum reward for minimum effort. There's always going to be users who aren't tech savvy who hackers can take advantage of which actually protects you in a way; why would they waste time & effort going after you when they could spend a lot less of both going after easier targets?

Don't do the following & should be ok:

Use the same password for every site.

Leave passwords in their default configuration or have the same password as your username.

Use the term "Password" in your passwords.

Download files from any untrusted websites or install unknown programs on your device.

Open attachments from unknown email addresses - phishing emails seem to getting more common (I had an email the other day that I thought looked a bit strange; I Googled the name & it turned out it was a scam that others had reported about).

Follow links from unknown email addresses even if the site it's linked to appears genuine.

Give out your bank details via websites, email or over the phone unless you are absolutely certain it's the real deal.

Use wireless keyboards to type in sensitive information (like bank details & passwords). Some experts even recommend to ditch them completely as some brands are so insecure.
(http://www.csoonline.com/article/3100026/hardware/many-popular-wireless-keyboards-completely-unprotected.html)

Plug compromised external media (like USB drives) into your device.

Do:

Keep your device updated with the latest bug releases, software patches etc

Use a decent Anti-Virus but don't rely on it to stop everything (as other more knowledgeable posters have already mentioned).

Regularly back-up important files, photos, videos etc to cloud storage or USB storage - if you have to wipe your drive because of infection then having all your important stuff backed up certainly eases the loss.

If you want to be particularly paranoid (probably isn't necessary for most users) then the following could also apply:

Disable/block your webcams & mics & avoid sending any explicit images that could be used against you in the future.

Disable Bluetooth as this can be hacked.

Avoid insecure Internet-of-Things devices & beware that even those that are supposedly secure can be hacked - there's apparently a case at the moment in the USA where the police are attempting to get voice recordings from an Amazon Echo speaker so it's worth remembering that devices with mics could be listening to every word you say.
(https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/27/an-amazon-echo-may-be-the-key-to-solving-a-murder-case/)

Lock down your social media profile so that your home address, car registration, any kind of personal details your bank might ask you (including pet names for example), etc aren't visible either in photos/videos or mentioned in any posts to all those who aren't friends. If you want to be extreme then remove that info/pictures all together.

Avoid posting location statuses on social media especially if you're going on holiday - I know this seems a little extreme but imagine that you post a status on Facebook saying you're off to Florida for two weeks. Everyone on your Facebook feed now knows that your house, flat etc is now empty for that duration which makes it an easier target for thieves.

There's probably plenty of other things too I'm forgetting or just don't know enough about
It's definitely possible, same goes for any smart tech with a camera I would think. I've always covered mine, I don't use Skype anymore so I don't even need to use it.
I always find with modern tech I know if I'm being too paranoid or not paranoid enough. I had a brief at work & I remember walking out of it thinking that if an organisation or skilled hacker really wants to hack into my personal devices then they'll manage it eventually. It does seem as though the only way to not get hacked is to avoid being targeted in the first place - luckily the odds of a skilled or professional hacker coming after most people is very low.

But yeah it makes total sense what you say about the hacker having more options; it's a similar situation to counter-terrorism - the terrorist only has to get lucky once while the police/security services need to be lucky every time.
Reply 132
using a RAT, yes. Or the national security agency.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer? :colonhash:
So I could be being watched right now as I type this?
Yeps. People have been doing exactly that since webcams were invented.
So it would be the kind of thing the firewall should pick up?
Oh ok, thanks :smile:
Don't know if it's been mentioned in the last 8 pages or not but there's a great Black Mirror episode on someone hacking a kids webcam. Think it's in season 2, definitely worth a watch.
I don't know whether to be amused or insulted by this comment. I can't tell if you are joking, but i clearly know more about it security then most people on this site.

If you have paid attention to what i had written earlier, you would have read that i did give someone from the internet control over my computer, which let me help me reinstall office.

And it is all very well you saying that office is easy to install, but this glitch, where it hangs at 80% of the install, is a known problem. As in other people on the internet had been experiencing it. Also when i said i will ask for help on the forums, regarding this issue, i didn't mean on tsr. I meant the dedicated it/anti virus forums on the web,

I have since done this, and have been given some good initial pieces of diagnostics links, to look in to it.

Also, i don't use an ip bouncer, but my connection uses a new ip address each times it connects to the internet. That is what i meant.

Don't get me wrong, you seem to be reasonably knowledgable regarding this field. But it is clear to me that you have never accessed illegal information on the net (hacking), thus despite your good intentions, you don't actually know that much right?

Sorry if this offends you, just calling it is as i see it!
Original post by john2054
I don't know whether to be amused or insulted by this comment. I can't tell if you are joking, but i clearly know more about it security then most people on this site.

If you have paid attention to what i had written earlier, you would have read that i did give someone from the internet control over my computer, which let me help me reinstall office.

And it is all very well you saying that office is easy to install, but this glitch, where it hangs at 80% of the install, is a known problem. As in other people on the internet had been experiencing it. Also when i said i will ask for help on the forums, regarding this issue, i didn't mean on tsr. I meant the dedicated it/anti virus forums on the web,

I have since done this, and have been given some good initial pieces of diagnostics links, to look in to it.

Also, i don't use an ip bouncer, but my connection uses a new ip address each times it connects to the internet. That is what i meant.

Don't get me wrong, you seem to be reasonably knowledgable regarding this field. But it is clear to me that you have never accessed illegal information on the net (hacking), thus despite your good intentions, you don't actually know that much right?

Sorry if this offends you, just calling it is as i see it!

You have a dynamic IP address, meaning your router assigns you a new IP address every so often or when you turn off your router. Nobody on this thread is knowledgeable about anything.
Original post by Naruke
You have a dynamic IP address, meaning your router assigns you a new IP address every so often or when you turn off your router. Nobody on this thread is knowledgeable about anything.

Yes thanks, that is what i meant. So have you ever done hacking Naruke?

Quick Reply

Latest