The Student Room Group

systems design and development (java) TCA exam in two days

I have a written systems design and development (java) TCA exam in two days and I dont know where to start with revision. I'm not really good at java. What are the main topics I should focus revision on so i can at least get a pass grade. Also should I read and revise questions and answers or do coding myself?
Reply 1
Not too sure what will be on this exam, but as someone who has been coding for more than 2 years I would say that it definitely helps to remember better if you write code as well as just revise, especially if you're not that good at java, writing out the syntax will help you understand it better
Reply 2
Original post by GUMI
Not too sure what will be on this exam, but as someone who has been coding for more than 2 years I would say that it definitely helps to remember better if you write code as well as just revise, especially if you're not that good at java, writing out the syntax will help you understand it better

Thank you for your advice, i'll start revising and writing it out and practicing. hopefully two days is enough
GUMI is right - you can learn coding ONLY by doing BOTH reading books, internet and listening to lectures on the one hand AND actual hands-on coding on the other hand - one OR the other will not teach you properly, and the coding has o be successful.

I am very dubious about having to learn even basic java in just two days, unless you are actually revising, and not learning for the first time (a lot of students think the two are synonymous!).

I would suggest that in the short time you have:

1. Read up core concepts like OOP and its advantages, variables (primitive and reference types [with the latter having 2 sub-types: [class variables and array type]), inheritance, arrays and array lists, data types (numerical [integer, short, double, long], String, boolean, etc.), methods (declaration and body), constructors, creating an object with the "new" keyword; public, private, static and final variables and methods, while and for loops - this should easily take up 8-10 hours.

2. After reading up each topic, practice coding by doing some exercises at the end of each chapter (most books on java have such questions e. g. Java Concepts, Big Java, Introduction to Java Programming.

Good luck!

Mukesh (MSc Computer Science)
Reply 4
Original post by macpatelgh
GUMI is right - you can learn coding ONLY by doing BOTH reading books, internet and listening to lectures on the one hand AND actual hands-on coding on the other hand - one OR the other will not teach you properly, and the coding has o be successful.

I am very dubious about having to learn even basic java in just two days, unless you are actually revising, and not learning for the first time (a lot of students think the two are synonymous!).

I would suggest that in the short time you have:

1. Read up core concepts like OOP and its advantages, variables (primitive and reference types [with the latter having 2 sub-types: [class variables and array type]), inheritance, arrays and array lists, data types (numerical [integer, short, double, long], String, boolean, etc.), methods (declaration and body), constructors, creating an object with the "new" keyword; public, private, static and final variables and methods, while and for loops - this should easily take up 8-10 hours.

2. After reading up each topic, practice coding by doing some exercises at the end of each chapter (most books on java have such questions e. g. Java Concepts, Big Java, Introduction to Java Programming.

Good luck!

Mukesh (MSc Computer Science)

Thank you so much for your reply I am going to use your plan.I'm going the write what I need to learn down,revise it and then get to actually practicing what I learnt. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending