The Student Room Group

Do you know what career you want to do or you still clueless?

Scroll to see replies

During school I was completely clueless, then in college I thought maybe doing something creative as a career would be right for me, having picked Art A Levels and then I did an NVQ in Business and Administration thinking that I might just be better off in an office environment (boy was I wrong lol) and now here I am applying to do a Zoology degree at university hoping to work with animals in one form or another, be it conservation, animal behaviour, zoo keeping, or even maybe taking a veterinary route... so no, even at 22 I'm still a bit on the fence, although I have much more of an idea now than I did 5 years ago :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Nicoley-oley
During school I was completely clueless, then in college I thought maybe doing something creative as a career would be right for me, having picked Art A Levels and then I did an NVQ in Business and Administration thinking that I might just be better off in an office environment (boy was I wrong lol) and now here I am applying to do a Zoology degree at university hoping to work with animals in one form or another, be it conservation, animal behaviour, zoo keeping, or even maybe taking a veterinary route... so no, even at 22 I'm still a bit on the fence, although I have much more of an idea now than I did 5 years ago :smile:

Totally different to what you thought! Must be amazing to work with animals and I was looking into Journalism but when you read the same things over gain on career sights you get annoyed! ;0 I do not even know if University is what I want though I wouldn't go in the UK
I change my mind quite a bit but I always go back to wanting to be a teacher. Right now I'm a bit unsure about it, but I think that's because everything has become more serious. I would love to travel though (as I'm sure everyone does).
Reply 23
Original post by loisb45
Whatever interests you or what you choose ? Are you interested in politics as I mean they'd be things to constantly write articles on I mean I interested in politics but I would not write about it. I know there is a reputation of corrupt MPs etc but surely not everyone is and some MPs stand apart from others though
How hard is it to get into Journalism and getting experience and what skills and areas can you write about? :smile:

I'm quite interested in economics more than anything although I'm not a fan of finance so I wouldn't look into banking, etc. I'm doing a-levels in Gov&pol, economics and maths. I might take a gap year and do history + further maths. It's interesting, it's so easy to gain respect from disliking politicians and May in fact be a good way in whilst preserving popularity. Corruption aside, people will just in general dislike you like if you agree with a policy, some might agree with it and others don't, those who don't will often bad mouth you and i don't think that's something I'd want to deal with, especially if it were on a big scale like something over the EU.

I literally have no clue, I mean you could start off as a free lancer, you could try and get an internship. There's things like competitions, you can also be an independent journalist, there's many ways in I guess. Its all about contacts as well. I used to write articles and had a twitter with 30k+ followers it was all around politics, entertainment and lifestyle I think everyone connects with those. I gave it up because I didn't have the time and my identity was close to becoming exposed lol now it's vanished in the winds I guess it's safe to mention.
Original post by loisb45
Totally different to what you thought! Must be amazing to work with animals and I was looking into Journalism but when you read the same things over gain on career sights you get annoyed! ;0 I do not even know if University is what I want though I wouldn't go in the UK

It's always worth pursuing an interest, even if you don't take it to university, just having that one interest is the first step :h:
I think it's okay to not know what you want yet, I mean, there are so many people that do a degree and don't even progress to a relevant career. Whatever you choose, it's not the end all be all answer, you're still free to do what you want.
Original post by loisb45
Some people seem to know what careers they want to do however I do have deep interest and passion for two of my A-Level Choices e.g. History and Sociology. Yet I don't know what career I want to do. For my I want to do a Job I love. My A-level Choices
English Lit(love this to)
Whats journalism like
What about you?:smile:

You think its just A Levels?
Quite a few graduates don't know what to do even after university!

I've personally done short term job hopping for a few months after landing my first job after graduation because I just simply don't know what I want to do as a career.
In my honest opinion this is why you need to volunteer or do some form of work experience at the same time during your studies because not only will it help you build confidence, develop transferable skills and experience; but it will also give you a taste of what its like in the world of work. :smile:
Qualifications aren't everything when you look for work. But whats more important is your positive working attitude and your personality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by zayn008
I'm quite interested in economics more than anything although I'm not a fan of finance so I wouldn't look into banking, etc. I'm doing a-levels in Gov&pol, economics and maths. I might take a gap year and do history + further maths. It's interesting, it's so easy to gain respect from disliking politicians and May in fact be a good way in whilst preserving popularity. Corruption aside, people will just in general dislike you like if you agree with a policy, some might agree with it and others don't, those who don't will often bad mouth you and i don't think that's something I'd want to deal with, especially if it were on a big scale like something over the EU.

I literally have no clue, I mean you could start off as a free lancer, you could try and get an internship. There's things like competitions, you can also be an independent journalist, there's many ways in I guess. Its all about contacts as well. I used to write articles and had a twitter with 30k+ followers it was all around politics, entertainment and lifestyle I think everyone connects with those. I gave it up because I didn't have the time and my identity was close to becoming exposed lol now it's vanished in the winds I guess it's safe to mention.

I think that so cool! I mean also there is investigate journalism! brexit was a huge mistake feel and now the government have no plan and now want to cherrypick themselves a deal. Ireland were i wanna live and policitc is in a similar situation there and I do closely follow that.
I want to become President of the World, but we all know that is never going to happen. I'll just have to stick with the career of being Prime Minister :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by Boreism
You think its just A Levels?
Quite a few graduates don't know what to do even after university!

I've personally done short term job hopping for a few months after landing my first job after graduation because I just simply don't know what I want to do as a career.
In my honest opinion this is why you need to volunteer or do some form of work experience at the same time during your studies because not only will it help you build confidence, develop transferable skills and experience; but it will also give you a taste into the world of work. :smile:

Totally Agree and its not based on A-Levels! Some people don't go university and carve themselves great careers ! I think as long as you do what right for you and interests you things will fall into place. :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Nicoley-oley
It's always worth pursuing an interest, even if you don't take it to university, just having that one interest is the first step :h:
I think it's okay to not know what you want yet, I mean, there are so many people that do a degree and don't even progress to a relevant career. Whatever you choose, it's not the end all be all answer, you're still free to do what you want.

I do not know what my interests are to be honest ! :h:
Reply 30
Original post by loisb45
I think that so cool! I mean also there is investigate journalism! brexit was a huge mistake feel and now the government have no plan and now want to cherrypick themselves a deal. Ireland were i wanna live and policitc is in a similar situation there and I do closely follow that.

Thanks! It was a great experience, I do wish I took credit for it at the time instead of staying hidden but oh well. And Yeah, I think seeing how aggressive things have got lately I don't know if I want to get into that mess. I wanna do something that's respected so idk. Maybe I'll become a lawyer 🤔
Original post by loisb45

I'm sure you'll figure it out someday, I mean your chosen A levels are a start, good luck either way! :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by zayn008
Thanks! It was a great experience, I do wish I took credit for it at the time instead of staying hidden but oh well. And Yeah, I think seeing how aggressive things have got lately I don't know if I want to get into that mess. I wanna do something that's respected so idk. Maybe I'll become a lawyer 🤔

Anway can still move ireland due to laws outside Eu plus I mean look at the naive attitude they have towards negotiations it unreal I don't think they even have a plan its that stupid.
Original post by loisb45

Don't worry, if I do somehow manage to become President of the World I'll remember the Rep you gave me and ensure you a position in my government!
Original post by loisb45
Some people seem to know what careers they want to do however I do have deep interest and passion for two of my A-Level Choices e.g. History and Sociology. Yet I don't know what career I want to do. For my I want to do a Job I love. My A-level Choices
English Lit(love this to)
Whats journalism like
What about you?:smile:

I've known since I was 15 that it would be something financy (applying to investment banking first year schemes ATM) but recently I've found software engineering/product management quite interesting.

Afaik, I'll end up in either banking, tech or consulting after uni - depends how my applications go and where my interests ultimately fall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in my final year and I'm *still* clueless
and I don't really care
gap year it is apparently
..*and* I'm already 2 years behind as I did AS again with different subjects, *and* changed uni courses
I must be so inspiring to all the fellow screw ups out there
Reply 36
Original post by Khanthebrit
Don't worry, if I do somehow manage to become President of the World I'll remember the Rep you gave me and ensure you a position in my government!

Lol do not want me in government lol thanks lol what about being a MP:u:
Currently doing btec health and social care, I've applied to uni for a degree that can lead me to become a primary school teacher. I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher but after doing some research today I found out that I could go into other related careers such as a family support worker or a play therapist. Either way, I know I am definitely into the health, social care and education of young children.
I'm in my mid 20s and I still don't know what I'm going to be doing in 5 years time :rofl: I did my A-Levels and the idea was then to go straight into admin/payroll and work my way up the ladder. I then realised that I HATE working in an office environment :lol: So I got out of that. I'm comfortable financially atm but I have other ideas than my current career. I enjoy writing and my English teacher always encouraged me to get into a career in writing because my writing skills were always top notch, at the time I wasn't at all interested but I'm only in recent years starting to realise that she was totally right. There's also the potential for a career in the fitness industry in the future. Also I've produced music for over 5 years and have made a bit of money from it and I'm into making House atm which is popular, potential career there but again don't know where to go with it atm. My best mate is a good singer and we're looking at making a track together and seeing if we can get it out there, no telling what could happen there.
Reply 39
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Currently doing btec health and social care, I've applied to uni for a degree that can lead me to become a primary school teacher. I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher but after doing some research today I found out that I could go into other related careers such as a family support worker or a play therapist. Either way, I know I am definitely into the health, social care and education of young children.

Sounds amazing and inspiring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending