The Student Room Group

Do you know what career you want to do or you still clueless?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loisb45
Totally Agree and its not based on A-Levels! Some people don't go university and carve themselves great careers ! I think as long as you do what right for you and interests you things will fall into place. :smile:

That is exactly why I did some work experience during my studies, because without that I wouldn't think I would be in my dream job. If you want to get somewhere in life, you have to get out there and get it yourself. You will never know what you want in life without trying things first.
I've read a thread somewhere where someone asked if they should do some work experience but wasn't sure if they would like it...well how are you supposed to know that by just sitting at home?!
Reply 41
Original post by loisb45
Anway can still move ireland due to laws outside Eu plus I mean look at the naive attitude they have towards negotiations it unreal I don't think they even have a plan its that stupid.

Well I don't know, it's too early to judge. We'll see how it goes but I did my work experience with Theresa May for a week on the Monday after Brexit (during her leadership bid) and I'd be surprised if she messed it up. She's smart and knows what she's doing, she's a lot more tactical behind doors and doesn't like sugar in her tea.
Original post by loisb45
Awesome! all I mean can I just see where lives takes me and not set on one career type I mean there is various things I'd love to do and I have various other aspirations than a career. I wonder how people know cause I never can set my mind on one career I wanna do? :smile:

I know the feeling! I would like to have some jobs, but how to say it... None of them feel like the one career I truly want. I would never be able to put in all the effort I am putting in for my career goal were it any other career.

How I knew that was the career for me? It is a feeling, you see. You read this job's description and at that moment, you simply feel as if it describes you perfectly and as if you just found what you want to do for the rest of your life - you would not mind starting there tomorrow and working there until you retire.

You find yourself astonished; you think 'This job... describes me perfectly!', 'It is everything I have ever wanted!', 'I could do this forever'. And at that moment, the only things you feel are joy, exhilaration, energy, determination, motivation, and a sense of purpose. Then, you do more research about it and try to shape yourself to the job since that job is what you were meant to be.

You start to read books relevant to the job, you look for any internet resources that may help you in that job even though you do not have it yet, you make sure you meet all of that job's requirements, everything.

And no matter how many times you attempt to reassure yourself that is the job for you or try other things to see if you have another passion, your mind always goes back to that job. No other job gives you the feeling you got when you found that job, no other job motivates you to do as many things towards a career as the career which is your dream job. Even if you briefly change your mind, it always goes back to that job, until you realise no other job could be as perfect for you as that job.

This is how I knew what my call in life was. Sorry if this does not help but basically, the gist of it is to read about different jobs, whether they are common or not, and see which one clicks with you. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by zayn008
Well I don't know, it's too early to judge. We'll see how it goes but I did my work experience with Theresa May for a week on the Monday after Brexit (during her leadership bid) and I'd be surprised if she messed it up. She's smart and knows what she's doing, she's a lot more tactical behind doors and doesn't like sugar in her tea.

Laws have been in place since 1921 and later they won't close border as data checks can be done or passport checks in some way as 33,000 people comute to work e.g. they live in Newry work in Dundalk so I ain't worried.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Currently doing btec health and social care, I've applied to uni for a degree that can lead me to become a primary school teacher. I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher but after doing some research today I found out that I could go into other related careers such as a family support worker or a play therapist. Either way, I know I am definitely into the health, social care and education of young children.

I studied Health and Social Care at university I think I can give you some advice if you'd like? :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Michiyo
I know the feeling! I would like to have some jobs, but how to say it... None of them feel like the one career I truly want. I would never be able to put in all the effort I am putting in for my career goal were it any other career.

How I knew that was the career for me? It is a feeling, you see. You read this job's description and at that moment, you simply feel as if it describes you perfectly and as if you just found what you want to do for the rest of your life - you would not mind starting there tomorrow and working there until you retire.

You find yourself astonished; you think 'This job... describes me perfectly!', 'It is everything I have ever wanted!', 'I could do this forever'. And at that moment, the only things you feel are joy, exhilaration, energy, determination, motivation, and a sense of purpose. Then, you do more research about it and try to shape yourself to the job since that job is what you were meant to be.

You start to read books relevant to the job, you look for any internet resources that may help you in that job even though you do not have it yet, you make sure you meet all of that job's requirements, everything.

And no matter how many times you attempt to reassure yourself that is the job for you or try other things to see if you have another passion, your mind always goes back to that job. No other job gives you the feeling you got when you found that job, no other job motivates you to do as many things towards a career as the career which is your dream job. Even if you briefly change your mind, it always goes back to that job, until you realise no other job could be as perfect for you as that job.

This is how I knew what my call in life was. Sorry if this does not help but basically, the gist of it is to read about different jobs, whether they are common or not, and see which one clicks with you. :smile:

I have not had the feeling of a job clicking but I know what you mean you just know ! But I do not think it will happen any time soon.
Reply 46
Original post by loisb45
Laws have been in place since 1921 and later they won't close border as data checks can be done or passport checks in some way as 33,000 people comute to work e.g. they live in Newry work in Dundalk so I ain't worried.

Yeah and if the EU didn't commit towards preserving the peace and openness between N.I and Ireland, they'd face a huge backlash especially from the USA who was a key player in the peace process. So I'd imagine they'd have to allow open boarders between the two, maybe the Uk would devolve border checks to N.I so it's not a UK government issue and the EU can have different polices towards each government as Scotland were hoping for
Original post by Boreism
I studied Health and Social Care at university I think I can give you some advice if you'd like? :smile:

Yeah that would be helpful :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Boreism
That is exactly why I did some work experience during my studies, because without that I wouldn't think I would be in my dream job. If you want to get somewhere in life, you have to get out there and get it yourself. You will never know what you want in life without trying things first.
I've read a thread somewhere where someone asked if they should do some work experience but wasn't sure if they would like it...well how are you supposed to know that by just sitting at home?!

Inspirational Message! Do what you love
Reply 49
Original post by zayn008
Yeah and if the EU didn't commit towards preserving the peace and openness between N.I and Ireland, they'd face a huge backlash especially from the USA who was a key player in the peace process. So I'd imagine they'd have to allow open boarders between the two, maybe the Uk would devolve border checks to N.I so it's not a UK government issue and the EU can have different polices towards each government as Scotland were hoping for

I love Ireland and I mean Northern ireland can go independent and if it wants remain in the EU where as not sure about Scotland and wales they not said much.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Yeah that would be helpful :biggrin:

Great, I've sent you a PM! :smile:
Reply 51
didn't think this thread would get 50 replies!
Original post by loisb45
I have not had the feeling of a job clicking but I know what you mean you just know ! But I do not think it will happen any time soon.

Indeed, you just know! :biggrin: Albeit to be more accurate, you both know it and feel it :love:

Honestly, I think dream jobs can be found if you know what degree is best for you and look up jobs that fit that degree. I knew what degree I wanted to do since it was on the topic I had the most interest in (and later because reading a book about it gave me the same feeling my dream job did), but I was worried about job prospects, so I looked up jobs for my degree. Lo and behold, my dream job popped up shortly afterwards! I just had to look for it a little bit. :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Michiyo
Indeed, you just know! :biggrin: Albeit to be more accurate, you both know it and feel it :love:

Honestly, I think dream jobs can be found if you know what degree is best for you and look up jobs that fit that degree. I knew what degree I wanted to do since it was on the topic I had the most interest in (and later because reading a book about it gave me the same feeling my dream job did), but I was worried about job prospects, so I looked up jobs for my degree. Lo and behold, my dream job popped up shortly afterwards! I just had to look for it a little bit. :smile:

I know moving Ireland is right and you have that feeling yet have't found it with careers but Journalism has got me wondering
I want to go into investment banking. I'm currently applying for economics at university.
Reply 55
QUOTE=Ladbants;69432408]I want to go into investment banking. I'm currently applying for economics at university.
/
Good luck What Uni you applied or at? :smile:
Reply 56
I decided on a career during my GCSEs. I will be a physicist because research is my absolute passion. Currently 3rd year at uni, about to finish my bachelor degree so I can then go on and do a Masters and a PHD in particle physics.
Clueless, I mean, I'm applying to do a maths degree, because I love maths and I've had a look at the related careers and none of them really interest me. In the past I've wanted to do something related to one of my interests. I've thought of having a career in computing, gaming or music. The latter two are very difficult, but I like money too, so those are ruled out. I don't want to do something where I have to sit in an office all day, but honestly, I don't know, I'm still doing A level, I have no experience, so I don't know how it all works tbh.
Original post by Ladbants
I want to go into investment banking. I'm currently applying for economics at university.

Which university?
Reply 59
Original post by Nadile
I decided on a career during my GCSEs. I will be a physicist because research is my absolute passion. Currently 3rd year at uni, about to finish my bachelor degree so I can then go on and do a Masters and a PHD in particle physics.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending