The Student Room Group

Do you know what career you want to do or you still clueless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Boreism
:ditto:

Totally what I've said...well apart from setting up a kissing booth part! :lol:

It's a good idea for some extra pennies.

Pucker up :rofl:
Reply 81
Original post by Boreism
I'm assuming you're still in school, how about visiting your careers advisor there?
Also I would research into considering options to volunteer at a charity shop or something or even register at a local recruitment agency and get advice from recruitment consultants. Anything to point you in the right direction! :smile:

yeah I have seen careers advisor still confused!
Original post by Boreism
Trust me we do know - have you seen the huge amounts of threads graduates make complaining about the job market?!

I have. a good example is a friend of my brothers who graduated from Cambridge 2 years ago I think and struggled to find worthwhile work for a long time, I mean these things mean very little then, but I guess the hard work is going to carry over to other areas.
Original post by UWS
It's a good idea for some extra pennies.

Pucker up :rofl:

No thanks, I'm already doing more hours than I should a day!

I do want to get out of the rat race though. :frown:
Reply 84
Original post by Michiyo
Pssst, have you considered a combined degree? My sociology teacher had a degree in History and Sociology. I myself am applying for International Relations and Strategy and International Security with Japanese at Exeter. Pretty much every single university has at least some sort of combined degrees that may suit you better if you cannot decide between two subjects. :smile:

I used to be in the same situation when I was 13. I was stuck between International Relations, Business, and Modern Languages, though I did love History and Psychology. Long story short I hated studies do much I decided not to do psychology and I did not care much about it in the end, history did not offer me any job prospects I liked so I crossed it out, business bored me to death so I cut that off the list, modern languages was fine but I only cared about Japanese and Russian and I did not like their job prospects either, so I settled on IR, which I both had a passion for and offered me several jobs I liked. See if you can narrow down your list to at most two subjects and find a combined course for them. :smile:

Its hard when you like all three of your A-levels and that most degrees require AAA similar in ireland and my predict grade are CCC with me possibly getting B's and Dublin where the degree I wanna do as you cant do par-time and cheaper fees etc so many degrees had to choose and I dunno if I wanna go Uni at 18 I may go later like 21 dunno. I wanna take couple years out I think

Journalism seems interesting but there is some many paths and its confusing Lol
Original post by NotNotBatman
I have. a good example is a friend of my brothers who graduated from Cambridge 2 years ago I think and struggled to find worthwhile work for a long time, I mean these things mean very little then, but I guess the hard work is going to carry over to other areas.

Did they have previous work experience? If not then I'm hardly surprised at that if I'm being totally honest. Just goes to show that qualifications aren't everything these days. There is definitely a lot of delusioned graduates out there though.
Reply 86
Original post by loisb45
Its hard when you like all three of your A-levels and that most degrees require AAA similar in ireland and my predict grade are CCC with me possibly getting B's and Dublin where the degree I wanna do as you cant do par-time and cheaper fees etc so many degrees had to choose and I dunno if I wanna go Uni at 18 I may go later like 21 dunno. I wanna take couple years out I think
Original post by loisb45

Journalism seems interesting but there is some many paths and its confusing Lol

I liked all 4 of my A-levels too. That does not mean I had a passion for them; liking something and having a special passion for and interest in something is different.

Good luck with your gap years if you choose to go down that route! :smile:

Also, thank you for the follow :hugs:

Original post by rissanicole14
There's way too much I want to do that I don't have a set career in mind :rofl:

I'd love to be a Foreign Service worker so I could work at different U.S. embassies, travel quite a bit and learn about different cultures. But I'd also love to work in national security and learn a critical language that would attract such a job.

I remember wanting to work in business, did an internship at a local commerce office and absolutely HATED how bored I was, being trapped behind a desk all day.

Just a tip: if you want to work in national security, never say you want to work in national security. Say nothing or lie.

I take it you are an IR applicant/future applicant/student too? :five:

The internship idea is great! I myself found out how much business bores me when I was sitting in my GCSE Business Studies class, doing nothing, and wondered if that is what I want to do for the rest of my life :laugh:
hell i'm 24 and I still don' t know...not everyone has to have a career, some people just have to find jobs they find tolerable and support themselves that way. not everyone is good at something.
Petroleum/Mineral Engineer :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by sherlockfan
hell i'm 24 and I still don' t know...not everyone has to have a career, some people just have to find jobs they find tolerable and support themselves that way. not everyone is good at something.

I do think that people do have a career which suits them I think and everyone is good at something even if maybe its a small skill.
Original post by loisb45
I do think that people do have a career which suits them I think and everyone is good at something even if maybe its a small skill.

who's 'people'? not everyone does.
I've heard the 'everyone is good at someone' thing a lot on here a lot and I've come to realize that it's a total myth.
Anyone who knows 100% what they're gonna do before the rest of their life before 30 yrs old is either delusional, insanely lucky, or lying to you.
Original post by Inexorably
Anyone who knows 100% what they're gonna do before the rest of their life before 30 yrs old is either delusional, insanely lucky, or lying to you.

I want to do Accounting so maybe a bit of all 3 :u:
Original post by ForestShadow
I want to do Accounting so maybe a bit of all 3 :u:

Those darned lying accountants :wink:
Reply 95
Anyone who knows 100% what they're gonna do before the rest of their life before 30 yrs old is either delusional, sanely lucky, or lying to you.

I slightly agree with this though some may. Do you have an idea of what career you want?
Original post by loisb45
I slightly agree with this though some may. Do you have an idea of what career you want?

I'd like to go into teaching but it is not a definite career path and I imagine after several years of doing it I will want to do something else.
Reply 97
I'd like to go into teaching but it is not a definite career path and I imagine after several years of doing it I will want to do something else.

;0
what would you teach?
clueless still
Reply 99
Original post by tamil fever
clueless still

;0
same! you have no ideas at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending