The Student Room Group

Multiple shot dead by Florida gunman

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
Be consistent should we ban things that can be used to murder someone?
Because not everyone would have a gun but when you put up a sign saying gun free zone you might as well just put on the sign saying shoot people here

Be consistent should we let private citizens own nuclear bombs?

It goes both ways, you know. You can apply "consistency" to smaller items but others could point to the bigger things.
You do know it is against federal law for mentally ill people to buy a gun

Yes, but as you can see from this very case, they can still own one as long as they purchased it before they've gone mad.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
When a young child shoots someone to death accidentally, do we arrest the child and give them the death penalty; or do we take away the gun?

Nice argument but can you name me 1 state where a young child can buy a gun.

By young child I assume you mean under 10?

And in the USA it depends as children older than 6 can be arrested.

Here a 8 year old was arrested http://thefreethoughtproject.com/autistic-8-year-child-arrested-put-straight-jacket-school-outburst/
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, but as you can see from this very case, they can still own one as long as they purchased it before they've gone mad.

Yes and I've said that they need to sort that out not take everyone's guns away from them
Original post by jape
Chicago has the strictest gun laws of any metro area in the US. Consistently the highest deaths. California has the strictest of any state, exceedingly high gun deaths. Even if you think the Second Amendment is daft, getting each other off about how civilised we all are for not having guns is pointless because firearm ownership is so prolific in the US is can't be reversed.

I agree that it can't be reversed and I'm just grateful the US exists so whenever I dislike anything about where I'm living, I can be glad that I'm not living in the US at least.

But that's irrelevant. I don't even care about Americans shooting each other. Just here to debate the issue itself.

To respond to what you said:

There are no border checks between states, and so individual state laws are meaningless, let alone individual cities' laws. As mentioned, in a normal country, I'd need to know someone in the gang or drug cartel to get hold of a gun; in the US, in the worst scenario you can just travel to another state.

As for whether "strict" gun laws work, one thing people forget is that "strictness" in the US is very different. People say DC is very strict and still they have the highest gun deaths per capita, but they are "strict" only because they ban open carrying of guns. In reality, their "strict" gun laws did not stop a 24% gun ownership. It's similar for California.
Nice argument but can you name me 1 state where a young child can buy a gun.

By young child I assume you mean under 10?

And in the USA it depends as children older than 6 can be arrested.

Here a 8 year old was arrested http://thefreethoughtproject.com/autistic-8-year-child-arrested-put-straight-jacket-school-outburst/

I said accidentally. When it's intentional, both killed. When it's accidental, the gun did. And babies shooting people have happened: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/26/a-4-year-old-playing-with-a-gun-on-thanksgiving-allegedly-shot-a-2-year-old-cousin-police-say/?utm_term=.859ea5c10789

Nice diversion, but whether they're allowed to buy a gun is irrelevant. You asked if the gun or the person was to blame.
I agree that it can't be reversed and I'm just grateful the US exists so whenever I dislike anything about where I'm living, I can be glad that I'm not living in the US at least.

But that's irrelevant. I don't even care about Americans shooting each other. Just here to debate the issue itself.

To respond to what you said:

There are no border checks between states, and so individual state laws are meaningless, let alone individual cities' laws. As mentioned, in a normal country, I'd need to know someone in the gang or drug cartel to get hold of a gun; in the US, in the worst scenario you can just travel to another state.

As for whether "strict" gun laws work, one thing people forget is that "strictness" in the US is very different. People say DC is very strict and still they have the highest gun deaths per capita, but they are "strict" only because they ban open carrying of guns. In reality, their "strict" gun laws did not stop a 24% gun ownership. It's similar for California.

If you cross state lines to buy a gun it has to go throw a federally firearm licensed dealer and it must comply with the laws of both states
Original post by Sabertooth
Maybe you could tell me why Mexico has far more gun crime than the US despite having much stricter gun laws?

Because that's not true?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
United States - 10.54
Mexico - 7.64

Firearm-related death rate per 100,000 population per year
I said accidentally. When it's intentional, both killed. When it's accidental, the gun did. And babies shooting people have happened: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/11/26/a-4-year-old-playing-with-a-gun-on-thanksgiving-allegedly-shot-a-2-year-old-cousin-police-say/?utm_term=.859ea5c10789

Nice diversion, but whether they're allowed to buy a gun is irrelevant. You asked if the gun or the person was to blame.

In the situation you mentioned it would be neither the child or the gun it would be the negligent parent who let the child get the gun, your link shows this as they arrested them

Also wikihow shows you how to make a gun http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Real-Gun
(edited 7 years ago)
In the situation you mentioned it would be neither the child or the gun it would be the negligent parent who let the child get the gun, your link shows this as they arrested them

Did they arrest them without taking away the gun? If neither the baby nor the gun was the problem, surely arresting the parents would've done the trick already?
Did they arrest them without taking away the gun? If neither the baby nor the gun was the problem, surely arresting the parents would've done the trick already?

The police do take evidence and the gun when someone has been shot it is pretty handy for the case and it depends on the state whether the gun owners could get it back, if it was the 2 arrested they won't as that is also against the law to own it.

You gave me a choice of do we hold the child or the gun was held accountable and I answered neither of them, so you have moved the goalposts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because that's not true?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
United States - 10.54
Mexico - 7.64

Firearm-related death rate per 100,000 population per year

Yes if you include suicides and unintentional. I think it's fairly obvious that people here are talking about homicides.
Yes if you include suicides and unintentional. I think it's fairly obvious that people here are talking about homicides.

In that situation it's about
USA 3.85
Mexico 7.2

Just without suicides
(edited 7 years ago)
The police do take evidence and the gun when someone has been shot it is pretty handy for the case and it depends on the state whether the gun owners could get it back, if it was the 2 arrested they won't as that is also against the law to own it.

You gave me a choice of do we hold the child or the gun was held accountable and I answered neither of them, so you have moved the goalposts.

I didn't move the goalpost. All along it was the same - who do we hold responsible? You said the parents. If it's only the parents and neither the child nor the gun, then only the parents would be dealt with. In this case, it's both the parents and the gun, as it is in basically any other case.

Otherwise, once someone's served their sentence or paid the fine, they should be given their gun back.
I didn't move the goalpost. All along it was the same - who do we hold responsible? You said the parents. If it's only the parents and neither the child nor the gun, then only the parents would be dealt with. In this case, it's both the parents and the gun, as it is in basically any other case.

Otherwise, once someone's served their sentence or paid the fine, they should be given their gun back.

No the sentence includes the fact they can not own a gun in the future, just like if a teacher is caught sleeping with a student they are not given their job back after their sentence they are banned from teaching

Then to answer your question, it's because Mexico is a developing country with a higher murder rate in general, one that's fueled by a weaker rule of law and corruption. 54% of all homicides in Mexico were carried out by firearms, compared to 60% in the US. This means homicide is a bigger problem in Mexico, but with stricter gun laws, the result is that firearms-related homicide is a bigger problem in the US.

You may want to remember that most of firearms-related crimes in Mexico have to do exclusively with the drug cartels in very selected pockets, something that's not the same in the US. You may also want to know that the Mexican constitution likewise give residents a right to keep arms.

This is without mentioning the fact that a part of the Mexican firearms-related murders has to do with the US's gun laws themselves - Mexicans got their guns from the US, to sell drugs consumed mostly by Americans. Without the US producing so many guns, it would have been more difficult and costly for Mexican cartels to have them.
No the sentence includes the fact they can not own a gun in the future, just like if a teacher is caught sleeping with a student they are not given their job back after their sentence they are banned from teaching

And why should that be a part of the sentence if the gun had nothing to do with it?

If a teacher sleeps with a student, the teacher is not banned from having a bed or having sex with anyone else in the future. This is because sex and the bed themselves were not to blame. Or the condom or whatever tool they used during their sex.

Then you may say because it's because the problem is with the choice of partner. In which case you should point to a case of rape and how rapists are not banned from ever having sex again. It's clear that the problem was seen to be with the person, but not whatever tool, including the penis or the vagina or the mouth or the hand, they used.

But when it's gun-related, the gun is taken away because even though you don't want to admit this, the gun has been seen as a responsible part as well. If, as you say, murder doesn't have to be conducted with a gun and all other potential weapons are the same, then this person should also have been banned from using any other potential weapon. But that's not the case.
Where did I say everyone should have a gun in the airport? I have said gun free zones are basically a sign saying shoot here.

See my point about gun free zones above.

I'm saying the state shouldn't be able to take away people's rights except in very narrow circumstances.

You seem to assume that gun=murder which is wrong.
You have suggested people's right to drive is more important than their right not to be murdered.

Very weak arguments. Why do you never read what people write? I've addressed each point you have made several times.

As for gun free zones - you were suggesting that. It's why you mentioned it. You were clearly implying that if people had guns there that the tragedy wouldn't happen. Ergo you support everyone having a gun in an airport and a nightclub.

As for 'taking away people's rights'. You want to take away people's right to free movement. I want to take away the right to have a gun. No one believes humans should have unlimited rights. If government taking away a certain 'right' makes people a lot safer and benefits society then of course I support it.

And finally, I have very clearly outlined the difference between guns and cars. But I'll do it once more:

1.) The overall benefit of motor vehicles is tremendous. There is no overall benefit to society of having a gun.

2.) Motorists are more than happy to abide by strict laws to improve safety, gun supporters are not.

3.) The amount of murders by motor vehicle is incredibly low. It's incredibly high for guns.

For each item you weigh up the advantages and disadvantages and make a decision. It really is that simple. Guns bring no advantage to a society and cause sheer devastation. Therefore they should be banned. It's that simple.
You do know it is against federal law for mentally ill people to buy a gun

Yet this person acquired a gun legally and murdered five people. And rather than blame the lack of regulations on who can buy a gun, you blame the fact that everyone else didn't have a gun.

Pathetic.

Also wikihow shows you how to make a gun http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Real-Gun

And if there were no guns which the parent could negligently let their child get then innocent people wouldn't be killed needlessly.

But of course, your solution as always is 'more guns'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending