The Student Room Group

4 A Levels

I want to do English Language, English Lit, Music Tech and Drama in year 12 & 13 ( if I do I won't have the opportunity to drop one at AS), is it impossible ? Will I have any free time? I'm predicted all A's and A*'s at GCSE
Original post by burtonsophie13
I want to do English Language, English Lit, Music Tech and Drama in year 12 & 13 ( if I do I won't have the opportunity to drop one at AS), is it impossible ? Will I have any free time? I'm predicted all A's and A*'s at GCSE

Yes if you manage your time. Okay maybe I'm in year 12 and i'm saying that. But so far I have been able to manage with 5 As's and I am not the smartest person ever.
I'm doing three sciences, Maths and Further Maths.
Yes, it'll be fairly simple. 4 A Levels was the standard/required in many colleges before government funding was cut.
Reply 3
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Yes, it'll be fairly simple. 4 A Levels was the standard/required in many colleges before government funding was cut.

4 A-levels were only ever "standard" at any schools to full A-level if pupils were also taking FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

"Fairly simple"?? Not now they are linear. To the OP. Remember AAA is always better than AABB, BBB > BBCC etc. if you want to apply for uni that is.

You can always start four and drop one if it is too much. But four are not necessary.
I was originally just doing the 3 and then someone gave me a sales pitch on English Language and I'm really interested in it. I'm also involved in theatre and dance so I'm just wondering if it will take up all my free time doing four?
Reply 6
I was originally just doing the 3 and then someone gave me a sales pitch on English Language and I'm really interested in it. I'm also involved in theatre and dance so I'm just wondering if it will take up all my free time doing four?

What are your plans? University/employment post A level? Do you have any?

Hi,
I'm currently in year 12 and I'm doing 4 subjects. I do biology, chemistry, Latin and German. I don't regret taking 4 subjects. I do have quite a lot of free time, but I think that depends on what school you go to. The only thing is, all my friends who do 3 subjects have a lot more frees in school, so they so have a lot more time than I do. But doing 4 subjects is manageable timewise :smile:
I do 4 essay based A levels and I do the EPQ. It's fine to be honest but in exam seasons the pressure is definitely on. I think doing 4 is a good option if you can't definitively choose 3 because that's why I chose 4. However, if they're not relevant to your Uni course, try taking 3. The workload is clearly higher, you won't have as many frees as everyone else so you'll have to do more at home. If you're dedicated I can't see why it wouldn't be a problem, but remember, A*AA is better than AAAA. sometimes doing 4 can stop you focusing on getting the best grades possible as you have more subjects to think about.
Also, if you want to do English at uni, English Language isn't required. If you want to do Music, it isn't either. Just something to consider.
Original post by 210555
What are your plans? University/employment post A level? Do you have any?

University I think in something relating to English or theatre
Reply 10
University I think in something relating to English or theatre

It's a good idea to check which are good facilitating subjects ( google it). I'm pretty sure English Lit is. It's good to have outside interests such as yours and it is important to keep a good balance between that and your studies.I don't know about your other A levels but do consider the input required IF there is a lot of coursework.

As I say four A levels are really not necessary, often it is just those doing Maths/Further Maths which doesn't apply here. I emphasise again, for uni applications AAA > AABB every time. I would say don't over burden yourself when you don't need to. 😀
Original post by 210555
It's a good idea to check which are good facilitating subjects ( google it). I'm pretty sure English Lit is. It's good to have outside interests such as yours and it is important to keep a good balance between that and your studies.I don't know about your other A levels but do consider the input required IF there is a lot of coursework.

As I say four A levels are really not necessary, often it is just those doing Maths/Further Maths which doesn't apply here. I emphasise again, for uni applications AAA > AABB every time. I would say don't over burden yourself when you don't need to. 😀

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest