The Student Room Group

Who remembers the old BBC/Acorn games?

I'm just old enough to remember my older brother playing games on an ancient BBC computer. There was one called Labyrinth, which my sisters and I absolutely loved watching him play (at the age of 7, in 1992) and another which I've never been able to remember the name of! :frown: Rep to anyone who can tell me the name. Basically, the whole game consisted of typing in commands, and directions, and receiving them back - there were no graphics at all, just text - and the hypothetical situation was that you were stuck in a haunted house (I think) and had to find your way out, or some treasure, or something like that. Very vague I know, but this was the stone age equivalent of computers after all...if anyone could tell me the name of this game I'd be very grateful, as it's been bugging me for years!

After the BBC, our parents got an Acorn which we all got obsessed with, although it was so early on the internet hadn't really got going very much at all, and so all the games were not online ones. Did anyone else on here ever play games like 'Gyrinius' (spelling?) 'Twinworld', 'Lemmings', 'Spaceraider' and 'James Pond'? I used to love those so much....
Reply 2
Hmm, there was an actual game made for the BBC Micro called 'Haunted House.' There was also another called 'House of Horrors.'

I remember playing Granny's Garden in Primary School, scary stuff!
Reply 3
I remember playing an around the world in 80 days game at school on an Acorn pc was amazing.
I remember playing Frogger endlessly on my Dad's Acorn :daydreaming:
El Nombre
Hmm, there was an actual game made for the BBC Micro called 'Haunted House.' There was also another called 'House of Horrors.'

I remember playing Granny's Garden in Primary School, scary stuff!

Wow, I'd forgotten about that! Yes, I remember playing 'Granny's Garden' on an ancient PC in Infants school - it was the only thing I ever remember doing on the computer then, apart from typing something out once!
Reply 6
Omg, acorn games!!! Our primary school used to have them when I just started and I remember a little red riding hood game, and the wolf that sometimes appeared really scared me lol...
My primary school was really underfunded. That was 1997!
Reply 7
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Did anyone else on here ever play games like ... 'Lemmings' ... 'James Pond'? I used to love those so much....

Yes :biggrin: I still play lemmings from time to time. There's a website with a load of custom levels you can download.
I remember when my older brother got Lemmings 2 as a present, and we (my sisters and I) used to watch in awe as he progressed through the levels :p:
Reply 9
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
I remember when my older brother got Lemmings 2 as a present, and we (my sisters and I) used to watch in awe as he progressed through the levels :p:

Hahaha, I did the same.
By the way, if you are interested, here seems to be the only active forum about lemmings, with a good levelset free to download in this thread
Wow Granny's Garden! I'd completely forgotten about that one as well.

At junior school (approx 1985) I also remember Urban Fox and one where you had to work out how to break in to Nottingham Castle....not sure if it was just called Robin Hood or The Sherrif of Nottingham?

And what about Pod?!! Pod was a red cirlce with arms and legs and you had to give him commands such as "run" & "jump", It would then say "Pod can run" or "Pod can jump".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
I'm just old enough to remember my older brother playing games on an ancient BBC computer. There was one called Labyrinth, which my sisters and I absolutely loved watching him play (at the age of 7, in 1992) and another which I've never been able to remember the name of! :frown: Rep to anyone who can tell me the name. Basically, the whole game consisted of typing in commands, and directions, and receiving them back - there were no graphics at all, just text - and the hypothetical situation was that you were stuck in a haunted house (I think) and had to find your way out, or some treasure, or something like that. Very vague I know, but this was the stone age equivalent of computers after all...if anyone could tell me the name of this game I'd be very grateful, as it's been bugging me for years!

After the BBC, our parents got an Acorn which we all got obsessed with, although it was so early on the internet hadn't really got going very much at all, and so all the games were not online ones. Did anyone else on here ever play games like 'Gyrinius' (spelling?) 'Twinworld', 'Lemmings', 'Spaceraider' and 'James Pond'? I used to love those so much....

I can't help on the text adventure but i remember a couple of games on the BBC micro one we had in school called Witches House and we hand another one that had a ind of puzzle game where you had to take some thing across the river but you couldn't leave some of them with other things it was pretty good.

The Acorns we had a t school had a couple of good games like lander and some platform game a little like Mario or Commander Keen the games that stick in my mind from my first computers (an IBM 486) are space invaders space war rough willy the worm and later on lemmings worms and zool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Kind of an old thread, (not that it really matters though) :smile:

My first computer in the early 90's was an Amstrad CPC. My earliest memories of it are of me trying to use it when I was 4/5 years old. I still have the floppy disk of Fluffy Fighter somewhere, some word processing program, and a book called Micromasters: Computer Games which had loads of games listings to type in... I remember spending a Saturday at my gran's house trying to sort syntax errors in the listing, despite having no clue as to what a syntax error was. :smile:

The green screen CRT display blew years ago, but I think the unit still works.
hi guys, sorry for opening an old thread, so a mate and i were discussing a game we played at school, talking early 90s im sure. I was a red and blue mouse with some cheese. You played against someone or the computer with the arrow keys on the keyboard. Anyone any clue. We know it existed haha
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan

I had an ibm but I for sure remember playing lemmings before the it was some arcade ports like Space Invaders, Paratroo, Space war, Rouge(the basis of most of the RPG's today), Test Drive and Sopwith there were others after that but those were the first
Original post by RadioPod

And what about Pod?!! Pod was a red cirlce with arms and legs and you had to give him commands such as "run" & "jump", It would then say "Pod can run" or "Pod can jump".

And then you'd put in all the rude words you could think of.

"Pod does not know how to sex"

Classic.

Quick Reply

Latest