The Student Room Group

Can I lose weight by eating 1200 calories a day?

How long will it take me to lose 10kg by eating 1200 calories each day of healthy foods? I will be doing some exercise aswell...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlackPink24
How long will it take me to lose 10kg by eating 1200 calories each day of healthy foods? I will be doing some exercise aswell...

I'm trying to do the same thing but let's see if it works and I want to lose 15 kg. I have tried it before but I don't know if this was the only factor in me losing weight. Oh and I gained weight back because I ate unhealthily afterwards and didnt exercise.
Reply 2
Go here and work out your TDEE: https://tdeecalculator.net

Eat 500 calories under that every day and you will lose 1lb a week or so (which is almost 0.5kg). If you can make the deficit 1000 calories via your diet and exercise (but do not go eating under 1200 calories) then that's 2lb a week (amost 1kg) and it would take 10 weeks to lose those 10kg then.

Track your calories using MyFitnessPal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by student004
I'm trying to do the same thing but let's see if it works and I want to lose 15 kg. I have tried it before but I don't know if this was the only factor in me losing weight. Oh and I gained weight back because I ate unhealthily afterwards and didnt exercise.
The same thing happened to me :frown: so i'm trying it again this time, without giving up easily. Hopefully we will both reach our goal weight :smile:
The same thing happened to me :frown: so i'm trying it again this time, without giving up easily. Hopefully we will both reach our goal weight :smile:

My fitness pal is great app to track your calorie intake,

Yeah but depending on how tall you are and how old you are you could be starving your body with that amount of calories.

Losing/gaining weight is simple maths...

Go on here: https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, work out your TDEE - I would recommend using the sedentary setting.

A healthy amount of loss is anywhere from .5kg to .9kg a week, which translates to a defecit of ~3850 calories to ~6930 calories at the end of the week. Or ~550 calories to ~990 calories a day. So subtract any number between those ranges from TDEE to get your goal calories. Try not to let your goal calories go below your BMR - which is what your body needs to sustain itself.

Best way to achieve this defecit is to exercise and eat less calories, a combination of the two should get you to your goal. I would also recommend tracking everything with an app like MyFitnessPal or MyNetDiary or the FitBit app. I'd recommend doing weight lifting to preserve your muscles as much as possible.. you don't want to lose muscle when losing weight.

Monitor your weight weekly, either by taking readings every morning and averaging them at the end of the week or just a single reading each week. Do a re-calc of your TDEE/BMR as you see any significant weight change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably

Eat 500 calories under that every day and you will lose 1lb a week or so (which is almost 0.5kg). If you can make the deficit 1000 calories via your diet and exercise (but do not go eating under 1200 calories) then that's 2lb a week (amost 1kg) and it would take 10 weeks to lose those 10kg then.

thank you :smile:
Original post by student004
My fitness pal is great app to track your calorie intake,

Oh Thank you :smile:
Oh Thank you :smile:

you're welcome!
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah but depending on how tall you are and how old you are you could be starving your body with that amount of calories.

Losing/gaining weight is simple maths...

Go on here: https://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, work out your TDEE - I would recommend using the sedentary setting.

A healthy amount of loss is anywhere from .5kg to .9kg a week, which translates to a defecit of ~3850 calories to ~6930 calories at the end of the week. Or ~550 calories to ~990 calories a day. So subtract any number between those ranges from TDEE to get your goal calories. Try not to let your goal calories go below your BMR - which is what your body needs to sustain itself.

Best way to achieve this defecit is to exercise and eat less calories, a combination of the two should get you. I would also recommend. Track everything with an app like MyFitnessPal or My
NetDiary or the FitBit app. I'd recommend doing weight lifting to preserve your muscles as much as possible.. you don't want to lose muscle when losing weight.

Monitor your weight weekly, either by taking readings every morning and averaging them at the end of the week or just a single reading each week. Do a re-calc of your TDEE/BMR as you see any significant weight change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you soooo much :smile:
Yeah but I'd say around 1500 cals is typically more healthy and more realistic (depending on your height, weight, age etc)
Original post by Onde
Keeping track of every minutiae of food you eat will make you lose the will to live. I would recommend thinking in general terms about what you are eating and especially limiting unnecessary snacks and food that you don't really like anyway, and to at least do the minimum amount of recommended exercise each week.

Thank you for the tips :smile:
Reply 12
yeah obviously
Reply 13
Of course. It depends on your current intake and how much you work out but if you normally have 2000+ and you cut to 1600 and exercise around 2-3 a week, it should be enough to cut in that time frame. Make sure you avoid all kinds of snacking and eat a lot more protein as usual as it is very fulling and it will help maintain your muscle mass. Plan your meals as well and don't skip any.
Original post by Inexorably

A 3500 calorie deficit equalling a loss of 1lb of body fat is a lie. It depends on how much fat someone has to lose. Someone who has more fat to lose will end up losing fat at a quicker rate than someone who has less fat to lose when on the same deficit. Often this can cause someone with less fat to lose muscle as well as fat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samii123
A 3500 calorie deficit equalling a loss of 1lb of body fat is a lie. It depends on how much fat someone has to lose. Someone who has more fat to lose will end up losing fat at a quicker rate than someone who has less fat to lose when on the same deficit. Often this can cause someone with less fat to lose muscle as well as fat.

This is true.

I found a formula that helps with this as well, it tells you your 'maximum' defecit limited by how much fat you have:

Bodyweight in lbs * body fat percentage * 22
Original post by Samii123

Interesting. Is 3500 perhaps the average for a general rule? If not, is there any way to work it out.
Original post by Onde
Keeping track of every minutiae of food you eat will make you lose the will to live. I would recommend thinking in general terms about what you are eating and especially limiting unnecessary snacks and food that you don't really like anyway, and to at least do the minimum amount of recommended exercise each week.

This! If I cut my exercise intense week of exercise by 500cals a day I would pass out. My wife is trying to lose weight but is terrified of feeling hungry. Consequently she has signed up to the hope that constant healthy snacking will solve the problem. It doesn't. For me, three square meals a day and plenty of exercise evens out any excesses. I hate exercising for the sake of it so cycle everywhere. I don't get stuck in traffic and benefit from exercise without thinking about it.

Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't believe anyone should eat less than 1500kcal to cut. It is WAY too low to sustain weight loss, and will mess your metabolism up. I'm 5 foot tall, weight 110lb and I cut 2 stone eating around 1600kcal a day, and I was losing AT LEAST 1 lb a week.

Please don't lower your calories too much. Check out IIFYM.com and use the calorie calculator on there.

Also, it's calories in V calories out. Not healthy food V bad food.
Your best bet is to attempt to form good eating habits. Ie lots of veg, low carbs, moderate protein. If you can inject loads of veg into your diet you'll stop wanting to eat so much cause they're rank xD it's the carbs that kill ya

Quick Reply

Latest