The Student Room Group

What country will the UK resemble more after Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MagicNMedicine
If Corbyn gets his way and we come out of the EU, out of NATO and disarm Trident we will end up resembling Switzerland.

Switzerland would be nice, especially when travelling abroad.
Reply 21
Basically the same damp, grey, depressing island it is now. But with a better economy and more reason to be optimistic about the future.
The accurate answer is surely Wales. A bit poorer, a bit more embattled, a bit whiter and a bit more socially conservative.
A better economy overall, many new things happening, and more opportunities arising.
Original post by intelligent con
Iraq, Syria or Somalia?

The optimistic UKIP viewpoint is that we will be a Norway plus a Switzerland with added bits of Americana.

More likely I suspect is a long decline into something a lot more similar to Italy or Spain. All the economic forces point in that direction if we lose the single market access and much of the foreign investment that has sustained our economy over the last decades disappears, along with the flourishing service sector that trades strongest with the EU.
Reply 25
Original post by MagicNMedicine
If Corbyn gets his way and we come out of the EU, out of NATO and disarm Trident we will end up resembling Switzerland.

Switzerland has freedom of movement for EU citizens as has Norway.

It will be more like Turkey.

The UK was in a bad way when it joined the EU, high inflation, a devalued currency, numerous labour disputes and the whole country ending up nearly bankrupt.
(edited 7 years ago)
it is a toss up between Albania and Swaziland
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The optimistic UKIP viewpoint is that we will be a Norway plus a Switzerland with added bits of Americana.

More likely I suspect is a long decline into something a lot more similar to Italy or Spain. All the economic forces point in that direction if we lose the single market access and much of the foreign investment that has sustained our economy over the last decades disappears, along with the flourishing service sector that trades strongest with the EU.

Why would we end up like those two when we have so much more going for us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
It depends on whether the UK will get trade deals with other countries, and their relationship with the EU.

Future wouldn't look gloomy if they could rapidly make a deal with the USA and Canada. The problem I see is that the government doesn't seem to have a very good team for that, and Boris is clearly a joke.
1984 by George Orwell
Original post by Michiyo
1984 by George Orwell

Hyperbolic

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just kidding :rofl:

My serious answer would be the UK.
Reply 32
Original post by niteninja1
The UK

^^^^^^^
Reply 33
All the other countries we want to do trade deals with will screw us over because they know we are desparate to sell and they don't have to buy. India played hardball when May saw them last year demanding concessions like better access to Britain for Indians because they know Britian is not in a strong position.

May has mentioned a transition period to try to give Britain a better negotiating position so we are not as desparate to replace lost EU sales with other countries but the EU is already wise to that and will take a tough position as will other countries like China and America.
Original post by Maker
All the other countries we want to do trade deals with will screw us over because they know we are desparate to sell and they don't have to buy. India played hardball when May saw them last year demanding concessions like better access to Britain for Indians because they know Britian is not in a strong position.

May has mentioned a transition period to try to give Britain a better negotiating position so we are not as desparate to replace lost EU sales with other countries but the EU is already wise to that and will take a tough position as will other countries like China and America.

So that whole comment is predicated on India being tough.

Well we didn't try and get them to sign a trade deal and they are notorious for not wanting big foreign access to their market.

I have an interesting question for you.

How much do you expect uk trade of all kinds to drop with the eu post brexit assuming a hard brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by paul514
So that whole comment is predicated on India being tough.

Well we didn't try and get them to sign a trade deal and they are notorious for not wanting big foreign access to their market.

I have an interesting question for you.

How much do you expect uk trade of all kinds to drop with the eu post brexit assuming a hard brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile

All countries will play hardball including Britain. Do you think countries take years to reach a trade deal because they enjoy endless meetings? All countries want more access for their goods and services while minimising the access they have to give to the other side.

Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to.
Reply 36
I can confidently say that UK wont exist much after Brexit. Scotland wants to stay in the EU so does Northern Ireland. Even wales is considering to leave the UK as a independent country and i have heard ideas going around as London alone gaining independence and joining the EU due to its highly "Stay in EU" vote polls. So before we think of anything else, we should first think of that.
The UK like it was back in the good old days - days when the British natives actually had control over their own country. Thanks to both Brexit and Trump more and more people in the Western world have become aware of atrocities such as immigration, Islam, and political correctness.
Original post by Maker
All countries will play hardball including Britain. Do you think countries take years to reach a trade deal because they enjoy endless meetings? All countries want more access for their goods and services while minimising the access they have to give to the other side.

Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to.

Nope I still want an answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waiser
I can confidently say that UK wont exist much after Brexit. Scotland wants to stay in the EU so does Northern Ireland. Even wales is considering to leave the UK as a independent country and i have heard ideas going around as London alone gaining independence and joining the EU due to its highly "Stay in EU" vote polls. So before we think of anything else, we should first think of that.

So much lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending