The Student Room Group

Oxbridge interview weight bias?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
You'll be fine. It's your brains they care about not your physique! A recent study showed employers pay very little attention to weight in males but greatly in females, you're safe.
Original post by whydoidothis?
Your trolling.

6 is no offence, terrible. It proves your body is struggling with aerobic exercise.

He actually did he was like "Aren't you gonna have chips with that?" after I put hot dogs on my plate
I'm with the 'it might make a difference' crowd. Tutors won't consciously care but subconsciously... maybe.

Original post by venividicenavi
That's good. Yeah I know but I'm fairly active but I like to eat a lot. At this point my weight isn't really affecting my health because I play rugby fairly frequently, so there's little incentive to lose weight, given that I enjoy eating a lot and losing weight would be difficult.

I guess I could probably end up properly obese if I kept eating how I do, but rugby and exercise in general can actually be painful especially since I had a knee operation a couple of years ago. I think I'm gonna work on trying to eat more healthily or less

You can't be serious when you write these posts right? Right?

In case you are:
1) You ARE "properly obese" already.
2) You're planning to gain 2.5lbs per month and don't seem to have a problem with that? Holy ****.
3) You know why exercise is painful on your knees? BECAUSE YOU WEIGH TOO MUCH
4)"[Its ok] because I play rugby fairly frequently"... which you are planning to stop.
5) "Its not affecting my health"... except for the slow deposition of fat into your arteries. Except the slow wearing out of your pancreas meaning you'll probably have diabetes by the time you're 25. Except from the various cancer risks associated with being obese. Except the knee problems you already have. Except the fact that if you needed an operation tomorrow your anaesthetic risk would be higher and the surgery more difficult as they'd have to chop through lots of fat to get where they need and the complication rates higher. And that's just the surface.

I hope you do get into a good uni as it will hopefully give you the chance to turn your life around you desperately need: There are far fewer fat people at uni, which would hopefully be a wake up call for you, you will be away from the bad influence of your family, and you will gain more independence and probably start trying to attract a partner, which is going to be a lot easier if you lose weight.

And in the meantime, please don't stop the rugby - exercise is good for concentration and improves exam performance.
Wonder how OP got on since
Original post by gosforthtsr
Wonder how OP got on since

Hey, I ended up being asked to leave the rugby team due to poor performance on the pitch, unfortunately I have gotten up to about 19 and a bit stone, eating mostly the same, but I am trying to exercise a little bit by lifting weights at home. A-levels are going well (maths is hard) and overall I'm feeling ok.
Hey, I ended up being asked to leave the rugby team due to poor performance on the pitch, unfortunately I have gotten up to about 19 and a bit stone, eating mostly the same, but I am trying to exercise a little bit by lifting weights at home. A-levels are going well (maths is hard) and overall I'm feeling ok.

Sad to see you got kicked off the team/gained weight. Maybe start cycling or swimming since it doesn't have to be too physically strenuous?
Original post by gosforthtsr
Sad to see you got kicked off the team/gained weight. Maybe start cycling or swimming since it doesn't have to be too physically strenuous?

Swimming is a defintite no because of obvious issues around being fat, cycling is a maybe but I don't have a bike at the minute and I have knee problems that it might just worsen
Reply 67
Swimming is a defintite no because of obvious issues around being fat, cycling is a maybe but I don't have a bike at the minute and I have knee problems that it might just worsen

Larger sized people swim too you know, and it's a very good form of exercise especially if you have dodgy knees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Larger sized people swim too you know, and it's a very good form of exercise especially if you have dodgy knees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but I have issues around being topless. It was okay with rugby since other guys were pretty big there as well but in a public place I'd hate that
I know but I have issues around being topless. It was okay with rugby since other guys were pretty big there as well but in a public place I'd hate that

So wear a top.
Original post by LauraMayden1
So wear a top.

Wearing a top at a public pool is basically asking to be ridiculed
Reply 71

So? If someone judges you for trying to improve your health then their opinion is worthless.

Then don't wear a top.

For how bright you are academically, you're really not all that smart - not unlike myself to be fair. Are you going to allow the ridicule, mocking and judgement of others stand in the way of your health, which will affect the quality and longevity of your life?

I know that you know that you're just making excuses. So now just make a simple decision; you want change, or you do not. Whatever decision you choose to follow, I hope you don't regret it.
Reply 73

Take responsibility, show some character and stop making excuses/ looking for sympathy. Start small ( take daily walks for example) and cut down on your eating!

Sorry to sound so harsh, if you need encouragement see your GP,, put a plan together and do it.
Some of the people on this string are awful.
1) Someone who has been overweight since they were 12 is obviously going to find it extremely difficult to lose weight. (I'm not certain but I believe it's due to the number of fat cells not disappearing even after a successful diet, and overweight people generate and replace more fat cells than thin people) So it's quite hypocritical of people in the comments to suggest that it's easy, when it sounds like no one has been in a similar situation. Also, this means, even if they have a healthy lifestyle, losing weight will be extremely difficult.
2) Overweight people can be healthy, average sized people can be unhealthy. Obviously the OP has said that his diet isn't particularly healthy. But as someone who also has a fairly unhealthy diet, and before the OP stopped rugby he exercised far more than I do, I've remained an average weight for my entire life simply due to lucky genes.
3) The OP has repeatedly said that he is healthy, probably more so than I am, and if he doesn't particularly want to lose weight, then why should he. Yes, being overweight might be unhealthy, even if his lifestyle isn't particularly, but it's his body and he doesn't want to lose weight, then he doesn't have to.
And it should have absolutely no impact on an interview that's supposed to be judging someone's intellectual capability. Saying that it suggests that he can't work hard is rubbish, his results speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, it's obvious just from this forum that weight bias is still very present and that it may be present in your interview. But I really hope that it's not, and hope you get into your first choice uni. x
Original post by clara__mst
1) Someone who has been overweight since they were 12 is obviously going to find it extremely difficult to lose weight. (I'm not certain but I believe it's due to the number of fat cells not disappearing even after a successful diet, and overweight people generate and replace more fat cells than thin people) So it's quite hypocritical of people in the comments to suggest that it's easy, when it sounds like no one has been in a similar situation. Also, this means, even if they have a healthy lifestyle, losing weight will be extremely difficult.
2) Overweight people can be healthy, average sized people can be unhealthy. Obviously the OP has said that his diet isn't particularly healthy. But as someone who also has a fairly unhealthy diet, and before the OP stopped rugby he exercised far more than I do, I've remained an average weight for my entire life simply due to lucky genes.
3) The OP has repeatedly said that he is healthy, probably more so than I am, and if he doesn't particularly want to lose weight, then why should he. Yes, being overweight might be unhealthy, even if his lifestyle isn't particularly, but it's his body and he doesn't want to lose weight, then he doesn't have to.
And it should have absolutely no impact on an interview that's supposed to be judging someone's intellectual capability. Saying that it suggests that he can't work hard is rubbish, his results speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, it's obvious just from this forum that weight bias is still very present and that it may be present in your interview. But I really hope that it's not, and hope you get into your first choice uni. x

Thanks for that. I just feel like exercise won't do much for me because I was fat and got fatter when I played lots of rugby so I don't see how starting to swim or whatever is going to help. You're also so right about how hard it is to have been overweight for basically all of my teenage life to suddenly lose weight x
Original post by LauraMayden1
Then don't wear a top.

For how bright you are academically, you're really not all that smart - not unlike myself to be fair. Are you going to allow the ridicule, mocking and judgement of others stand in the way of your health, which will affect the quality and longevity of your life?

I know that you know that you're just making excuses. So now just make a simple decision; you want change, or you do not. Whatever decision you choose to follow, I hope you don't regret it.

I know but when I get mocked about my weight i eat more which makes me gain weight which makes me get mocked more which makes me eat more and so on
Reply 77

Of course you make some good points, especially about bias. I am not. Just why make a thread if you are happy about it. The fact that the OP is too self conscious to go swimming suggests some dissatisfaction. Dodgy knees at 17/18 is not good either.the OP has stated they overeat!.

To the OP, apologies again for the harshness but positive action on your part is what is required to make changes. If you want to and don't know how, speak to a health professional and your family for support.
Reply 78

Load of rubbish. Use more energy than you consume and you will lose weight. That's the only way to lose weight, short of surgery.

Thanks for that. I just feel like exercise won't do much for me because I was fat and got fatter when I played lots of rugby so I don't see how starting to swim or whatever is going to help. You're also so right about how hard it is to have been overweight for basically all of my teenage life to suddenly lose weight x

Eat less do more. Stop making excuses and do something about it.

Actually, a lot of us give this advice because we understand how hard it is. It's difficult, no doubt, but it's possible if you really want it. That's why I told OP to make a decision; either he does it or he doesn't, and whatever he chooses he should be content with his decision. No one is forcing him, just giving him advice for his own health and well-being because, as you know, OP is overeating and consistently gaining weight. Surely that's unhealthy?

I know but when I get mocked about my weight i eat more which makes me gain weight which makes me get mocked more which makes me eat more and so on

I'm sorry that this happens, but you can't control others, you can only control yourself and your reactions to them. It's still your choice no matter what, and that's still an excuse. If you want to do it, all excuses will get thrown out of the window, and you will find a way.

Quick Reply

Latest