The Student Room Group

Should the highest rate of income tax be raised to 50%

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by joe cooley
Interesting concept.

So, i take it you only spend your money on things you need as opposed to things you merely want?

As a percentage how much of your income do you give to the poor each week?

I'm 17, I college, I don't go to work.
Reply 81
Original post by RedManc

One could tell. It's easy for someone like you who doesn't pay tax to ask the rich to pay more.

You go to college and I assume you want to be successful? Would you like it if some lefty bureaucrat swooped in to take half of your hard earned six figure salary to pay for welfare, warfare, Ethiopian spice girls and obscene and inflated NHS middle-management pay checks. No?

Keep sixth form common room politics in the common room
Original post by RedManc

Explains it all, know nothing about economic policy or history. Btw I'm younger more and know more than you. Your a typical lefty , want money from the rich , most of who have worked hard! You are in a fairy land and understand nothing , yet have a loud voice on the economy and politics.
Perhaps I should take a quote from your favourite economist, Karl Marx ( a big left wing economist)

And one from my favourite economist Milton Friedman

Original post by heri2rs
One could tell. It's easy for someone like you who doesn't pay tax to ask the rich to pay more.

Bang on correct , may also ask @RedManc what he achieved at GCSE?.He's your typical , I've not done well so I want those who have to give to me! Perhaps he could give an example of where high income taxes have worked?? Hollande's 75% tax failed majorly and the deficit increased and unemployment soared. I'll give you a centre left newspaper confirming it.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/france-drops-75percent-supertax
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by fleky6910
Explains it all, know nothing about economic policy or history. Btw I'm younger more and know more than you. Your a typical lefty , want money from the rich , most of who have worked hard! You are in a fairy land and understand nothing , yet have a loud voice on the economy and politics.
Perhaps I should take a quote from your favourite economist, Karl Marx ( a big left wing economist)

And one from my favourite economist Milton Friedman

Bang on correct , may also ask @RedManc what he achieved at GCSE?.He's your typical , I've not done well so I want those who have to give to me! Perhaps he could give an example of where high income taxes have worked??

I got 1 A, 3 B's, and 5 C's
Original post by RedManc
I got 1 A, 3 B's, and 5 C's

I'm not surprised , confirms my beliefs and suspicions as well as the fact how little you know. You fit the stereotype of a Corbyn supporter!
@heri2rs some people amaze me!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RedManc
The income tax rate for top earners are too low in my opinion. At one point during the 1970's, the top rate of income tax was 97%.

In 1968, income tax was 41% (with a discount for earned income); the rates of surtax peaked at 50% and there was a "special charge" that only lasted one year on investment income of over £3000 of 45%.

That is a maximum tax rate of 136%
Reply 86
Original post by nulli tertius
In 1968, income tax was 41% (with a discount for earned income); the rates of surtax peaked at 50% and there was a "special charge" that only lasted one year on investment income of over £3000 of 45%.

That is a maximum tax rate of 136%

That's brilliant.
Reply 87
I'm not surprised , confirms my beliefs and suspicions as well as the fact how little you know. You fit the stereotype of a Corbyn supporter!

I'm not a Corbyn supporter. He is too right wing for my liking.
Original post by RedManc
I'm not a Corbyn supporter. He is too right wing for my liking.

HAHAH , proves how stupid you are! You know nothing , I have proved you wrong with data and facts. I have never read a more moronic, idiotic incoherent argument in my life! Please learn economics before you debate about it because clearly know absolutely NOTHING.
(edited 7 years ago)
Income Tax should never exceed 20%. People should not put too much faith in the government.
Reply 90
HAHAH , proves how stupid you are! You know nothing , I have proved you wrong with data and facts. I have never read a more moronic, idiotic incoherent argument in my life! Please learn economics before you debate about it because clearly know absolutely NOTHING.

Thank you.

You remind me of someone who's studied A Level economics for three months and now think that you're an expert.

I know you're young so i'll give you four pieces of advice:

(1) Learn to write properly, in structured, coherent and grammatically correct sentences.

(2) Posting a picture with a quote on it is not a substitute for a substantive argument.

(3) Economics is not as simple, or straight forward or scientific as your A Level text book tells you. It's not a case of 'Do x and y will happen'. There are numerous societal and personal factors which impact upon the economy, which your A Level text book won't tell you about.

(4) During a debate, don't say 'I have proved you wrong and won'. It's a very poor tactic and reflects far worse on you than the other person.
(edited 7 years ago)

How unedifying of you.
So only people with all A's and A*s can contribute to a debate?

Labelling someone as an idiot or of 'knowing little' makes you seem incredibly elitist and patronising. It's not a good look.
To be honest, a 50% rate for >£1 million earners would be good. It's not much more than the current 45% but will bring in more revenue.
Original post by Bornblue
How unedifying of you.
So only people with all A's and A*s can contribute to a debate?

Labelling someone as an idiot or of 'knowing little' makes you seem incredibly elitist and patronising. It's not a good look.

No but people should have at least a basic knowledge of economics before debating about it.
Reply 95
Original post by Harold98
To be honest, a 50% rate for >£1 million earners would be good. It's not much more than the current 45% but will bring in more revenue.

agreed
You remind me of someone who's studied A Level economics for three months and now think that you're an expert.

I know you're young so i'll give you four pieces of advice:

(1) Learn to write properly, in structured, coherent and grammatically correct sentences.

(2) Posting a picture with a quote on it is not a substitute for a substantive argument.

(3) Economics is not as simple, or straight forward or scientific as your A Level text book tells you. It's not a case of 'Do x and y will happen'. There are numerous societal and personal factors which impact upon the economy, which your A Level text book won't tell you about.

(4) During a debate, don't say 'I have proved you wrong and won'. It's a very poor tactic and reflects far worse on you than the other person.

Thanks for your advice, you weren't part of this debate. Its seems like you following me into threads , lol!
I don't even do A level economics yet , lol! I am just well read and have interest in it! I know it isn't as simple as it is in a textbook. I never said or implied it that if you do x ,y will happen.
The pictures weren't part of the argument , they were just proving a point.
No but people should have at least a basic knowledge of economics before debating about it.

Your problem is that you are in the A Level mindset of treating economics as if it was an exact science. That if we do x, then y will happen.

Economics is not an exact science and is largely impacted by societal, personal and other factors.

Calling someone an idiot because of their GCSE results reflects far worse on you than it does them.
That if we do x, then y will happen.

Never said or implied that! I'm in year 11 so don't even do A level economics yet , lol!
Thanks for your advice, you weren't part of this debate. Its seems like you following me into threads , lol!
I don't even do A level economics yet , lol! I am just well read and have interest in it! I know it isn't as simple as it is in a textbook. I never said or implied it that if you do x ,y will happen.
The pictures weren't part of the argument , they were just proving a point.

So you've read a few articles and books and now think you're highly qualified in the field of economics?
It doesn't work like that. Economics is unpredictable and ever-changing as human behaviours adapt. There is no 'one size fits all' approach.

Pictures don't prove any point. Nor does a quote from anyone, no matter how highly you regard them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending