The Student Room Group

Spring week applicant (is it good enough?)

I know there is no way to tell if this is good enough but, I want your opinion on if this is better than average or average or below average for a spring week applicant. I go to a target for a physics degree.
just gonna bullet point CV:
Charity week leader
- led a group of 30
- raised £500 in a week
Uni of surrey work exp as a physics intern
- presented to academics about researched
- worked in a group of 5 to come up with ideas for research
- actually researched
Business Subject Captain (for sixth form)
- orgainsed speakers from unis
- recruited members
- gave presentations
Environmental Officer (for sixth form)
- made improvements to the way the school handles waste
- made recommendations which were implemented

Extras: Table tennis caption from yr 9-11, Cricket club member
Youtube channel about physics, confident in html, completed MOOC on finance, Young enterprise program, IFS challenge (best in school).

I just want an honest opinion as I am unsure about the calibre of students I am up against, and obvs my CV isnt like this, i just summerised it into a short sentence per line. Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samendra
I know there is no way to tell if this is good enough but, I want your opinion on if this is better than average or average or below average for a spring week applicant. I go to a target for a physics degree.
Charity week leader
- led a group of 30
- raised £500 in a week
- actually researched
- recruited members
- gave presentations

Youtube channel about physics, confident in html, completed MOOC on finance.

I just want an honest opinion as I am unsure about the calibre of students I am up against, and obvs my CV isnt like this, i just summerised it into a short sentence per line. Thanks!

No point with people chancing you because it means bugger all at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
No point with people chancing you because it means bugger all at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do u mean? plus what if I re-apply next year (change to a 4 year degree) with the same CV
(edited 7 years ago)
what do u mean? plus what if I re-apply next year (change to a 4 year degree) with the same CV

I mean what I said, hearing 'oh you're a good candidate' or 'you have a good shot' is ultimately meaningless because no one here will be reviewing your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I mean what I said, hearing 'oh you're a good candidate' or 'you have a good shot' is ultimately meaningless because no one here will be reviewing your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats the thing, I have no idea of the competition so I dont know whether it is good or not. I dont mean to brag lol
Thats the thing, I have no idea of the competition so I dont know whether it is good or not. I dont mean to brag lol

your cv is average, run of the mill.

nothing stands out which would suggest to me you have a better chance than anyone else

you are nothing more than an inconsequential dot in the vastness of an incomprehensible universe
Original post by wasteman shoes
your cv is average, run of the mill.

nothing stands out which would suggest to me you have a better chance than anyone else

you are nothing more than an inconsequential dot in the vastness of an incomprehensible universe

yea thought so, damn need to get something exciting done, thanks anyway

If your applying in year 2, then HR will be looking for some more finance related things seeing as you have had a whole year at uni. I think you need to quantify more of your achievements such as 'recruited members' but how many? Overall its pretty average considering a lot of applicants will have insight days as well as more relevant things such as BASE and Bank of England challenges from 6th form rather than things like Environmental Officer. As at the end of the day HR will only look at the application for a short period, so they are looking for financial buzzwords, quantifiable figures etc. Sorry if its harsh but IB recruitment is ruthless.
Charity week leader
- led a group of 30
- raised £500 in a week
- actually researched
- recruited members
- gave presentations

Youtube channel about physics, confident in html, completed MOOC on finance.

Lol I like how you listed that. Like it takes some serious effort to be "confident in html"
Original post by thatapanydude
If your applying in year 2, then HR will be looking for some more finance related things seeing as you have had a whole year at uni. I think you need to quantify more of your achievements such as 'recruited members' but how many? Overall its pretty average considering a lot of applicants will have insight days as well as more relevant things such as BASE and Bank of England challenges from 6th form rather than things like Environmental Officer. As at the end of the day HR will only look at the application for a short period, so they are looking for financial buzzwords, quantifiable figures etc. Sorry if its harsh but IB recruitment is ruthless.

Yea I only just started uni so it will take time, by year 2 i will hopefully get to be treasurer of the finance society or something like that, but this is only for 1st year spring week. Also as I said I dont want to put my entire CV on here, in my real CV it is much more detailed including buzzwords and figures. This is just a rough sketch. Plus im pretty sure insight days mean **** all if it doesnt lead to a spring week.

Original post by mischeivous
Lol I like how you listed that. Like it takes some serious effort to be "confident in html"

Yea it isnt much but I will replace this with python once ive finished my course.
Below average - none of your extra curriculars show an interest in finance

Plus im pretty sure insight days mean **** all if it doesnt lead to a spring week.

it shows initiative and signals to banks that you've already been screened by other banks so are a credible candidate
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mike_123
Below average - none of your extra curriculars show an interest in finance

I am business subject captain and Ive completed a course off-campus on finance, ive also taken part in young enterprise and the IFS challenge.

it shows initiative and signals to banks that you've already been screened by other banks so are a credible candidate

all they are good for is getting a brand name of your CV im probably just gonna mention a few as an 'extra' towards the end of my CV
I am business subject captain and Ive completed a course off-campus on finance, ive also taken part in young enterprise and the IFS challenge.

all they are good for is getting a brand name of your CV im probably just gonna mention a few as an 'extra' towards the end of my CV

well in your cover letters you should focus on the finance course you've taken and the IFS challenge. i don't see the relevance of the business subject captain and young enterprise though. those aren't things you should mention in your cover letter unless you can bring out important skills such as examples of leadership experience.

insight days would almost definitely trump anything in the above though. have a scroll through linkedin and you'll find the constant in equation is people starting in the industry early.

there are 2 keys to securing internships:
1. general aptitude (which you clearly have studying at a target)
2. showing passion for finance (which is much harder to find amongst your extracurriculars)
Original post by thatapanydude

Things like insight days are pretty useless. They help with building your CV and interview skills on the actual programme but they won't really make your CV better. And if you're talking about the target 2.0 thing, that also means **** all. In all honesty, something like environmental officer shows you're not someone who's obsessed with finance and does everything for the CV.
well in your cover letters you should focus on the finance course you've taken and the IFS challenge. i don't see the relevance of the business subject captain and young enterprise though. those aren't things you should mention in your cover letter unless you can bring out important skills such as examples of leadership experience.

insight days would almost definitely trump anything in the above though. have a scroll through linkedin and you'll find the constant in equation is people starting in the industry early.

there are 2 keys to securing internships:
1. general aptitude (which you clearly have studying at a target)
2. showing passion for finance (which is much harder to find amongst your extracurriculars)

Trust me, unless you get fast tracked to insight days, they dont help much. Even spring weeks wont help much for a summer internship.
Charity week leader
- led a group of 30
- raised £500 in a week
- actually researched
- recruited members
- gave presentations

Youtube channel about physics, confident in html, completed MOOC on finance, Young enterprise program, IFS challenge (best in school).

You've got a decent CV here, certainly you should take up more opportunities at uni instead of focusing on sixth form stuff but its a good CV anyway. Also some work experience, you dont have much.

It's pretty useless asking advice on this site, theyre all a bunch of arrogant condescending pricks who are insecure and want to put others down in the hopes of getting into the industry. You go to a target so this CV is fine, they spend literally 30 secs reading your CV anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)

Too many people think this is the case. It isn't. IBs recruit people from any degree subject so that's pretty much enough to show that IBs dont care about 'passion" at all. Furthermore no one is going to be passionate about pulling 90hr weeks creating excel spreadsheets, modelling and actually sleeping in the office near deal day. Showing an understanding and appreciation for IBs and how they operate + some work experience is more than enough "passion".

wtaf, business captain and young enterprise are all finance related we learn about managing cash flow. margins etc..
On your CLs, did you guys write more about why you or why the bank? And for "why this bank" did you write about the deals they did and the reputation or the culture?
wtaf, business captain and young enterprise are all finance related we learn about managing cash flow. margins etc..

Do you really think a banker is gonna find the fact that you were a 'business captain' (whatever that means) at sixth form impressive?

Original post by topdawgent
Too many people think this is the case. It isn't. IBs recruit people from any degree subject so that's pretty much enough to show that IBs dont care about 'passion" at all. Furthermore no one is going to be passionate about pulling 90hr weeks creating excel spreadsheets, modelling and actually sleeping in the office near deal day. Showing an understanding and appreciation for IBs and how they operate + some work experience is more than enough "passion".

Being passionate about finance and studying a finance-related degree are two different things. You can be interested in finance and not study a finance-related degree and vice versa. Studying a finance-related degree isn't the only way of showing your interest.

They look for people who are genuinely interested, because if you're going to be working 90 hour weeks, then you best be interested (or at least pretend you are) otherwise the attrition rate would be way too high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending