The Student Room Group

Do you need to know Core 4 before you can learn FP3?

My exam board is AQA by the way.
Original post by selenacxoxo

Would help. I think partial fractions may be needed for differential equations in FP3 for instance? Forgot.
Reply 2
You can probably get by if you learn partial fractions (as advised above) and the trig identities (which you will need for the various integrals you will have to do).
Reply 3
Original post by selenacxoxo

Why do you want to? You'll have to learn C4 at some point anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
Why do you want to? You'll have to learn C4 at some point anyway.

At my school, where maths and further maths are taught in parallel, the regular maths students have learnt C3 and are just starting S1 (their applied module for the second year). C4 won't follow for a few months. However, the further maths students have started their second module of the year, which is FP3 (with FP2 to follow as their last module). This isn't a problem so long as they have learnt the C4 trig identities. (Partial fractions is less of a big deal, but they do tend to need it ahead of schedule for FP2.)
Reply 5
Original post by Pangol
At my school, where maths and further maths are taught in parallel, the regular maths students have learnt C3 and are just starting S1 (their applied module for the second year). C4 won't follow for a few months. However, the further maths students have started their second module of the year, which is FP3 (with FP2 to follow as their last module). This isn't a problem so long as they have learnt the C4 trig identities. (Partial fractions is less of a big deal, but they do tend to need it ahead of schedule for FP2.)

I assumed the OP was asking so they could make a decision e.g. they're self-studying. But I'm probably wrong in making that assumption.
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
I assumed the OP was asking so they could make a decision e.g. they're self-studying. But I'm probably wrong in making that assumption.

Ah, I see your point. If there was a choice, I would definitely agree, do C4 first.
Reply 7
Original post by notnek

Loool you're correct, I'm self-studying

Quick Reply

Latest