The Student Room Group

UUU to A*A*A* in 5 months?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epistasis
Okay so I'm probably not at UUU probably DEE or something but is this possible? Been lazy and yet to start learning stuff let alone revising, taking biology chemistry maths. How much work will i need to put in? First exam just over 5 months away

Not going to happen i'm afraid....
Intensive & Efficient Study might help! So do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
mate, no offence but I could achieve a C just from paying attention in class
Can you please update us in August? Really curious to know how it goes for you.
Original post by MatthewP15
Op is taking Biology,Chemistry and Maths as in the original post

if you doing edecxel bio, it's possible.
and if you're doing anything but edexcel maths x
I think the outcome of this experiment is going to be very interesting.

If you put in the work and do get the grades it will prove it possible to coast through classes in the first year and then grind in the final stage and still achieve the top grades.

Nothing is impossible, good luck.
Kieran? Is that you?
It's silly anyway most people won't be ready to sit their exams and get A*A*A* at this stage it's why we have four to five months left to study but yeah a levels can definitely be done in one year the only reason people need two is because kids doss so much these days.
Reply 108
I was achieving at GCSE U in maths but i got a private tutor and i started getting A's in the space of 6 months. Id suggest that. (i get its not A level but it would still have an impact)
(edited 7 years ago)
If it's the new A-level like what I'm doing, the system has changed, AS no longer counts if you continue to A2, the 2nd year exams cover both AS and A2, there's only a few subjects on old system.
There's thousands of students such as myself who put in hours of work every day to achieve these sort of grades (AAAB at AS, predicted AAAA at A2 ((didn't drop a subject)), and you expect to go from Es to A*s with little effort?
If you can't be bothered to do the work you don't deserve the grades, simple as. Especially not if you're not going to do the work at uni either.

There's not a quick fix to get good grades, the only option is to get your act together and start working hard.
I got BBDD in my AS year and then A*AB at A2 so it's definitely possible - you do keep learning and improving your knowledge (well, dependant on how much you concentrate in lessons) right up until the exams. Even though you might be predicted EEE at the moment, if you think you're capable of doing it, as long as you work really hard, you definitely have a good chance of getting those grades, but it does mean hard work, I'm afraid. (It's well worth it though!) Hope it goes well for you :smile:
Just work more than 30 hours per week, work effectively.
My college is using this http://www.alevelmindset.com/ to boost students' performance.
Believe in yourself.
AS: BBCD aims: A*A*A
Original post by student1099
I know someone that got DDEU in their mocks and ended up with A*A*AA with half effort over 5 months, if you put in all the effort you can do it within 2.

2 months - wtf?
Reply 114
Original post by minimaher
I got BBDD in my AS year and then A*AB at A2 so it's definitely possible - you do keep learning and improving your knowledge (well, dependant on how much you concentrate in lessons) right up until the exams. Even though you might be predicted EEE at the moment, if you think you're capable of doing it, as long as you work really hard, you definitely have a good chance of getting those grades, but it does mean hard work, I'm afraid. (It's well worth it though!) Hope it goes well for you :smile:

Wow! How did you do it?
What subjects did you take,
Reply 115
do a timetable with every topic within each subject allocated enough time, so do one topic from AS a night say, and read over the textbook, write out notes and then just find past paper or specimen papers and just do qs on that topic. It should be easier to remember bc u did the content last year (this is the technique ive started doing to revise for mocks) then for A2 content just do the same but obviously one evening after school may not be enough time to cover an entire topic if u take biology or something like ido. basically:
timetable, lists breaking down all content needed
write out notes/mindmaps/poster/flashcards ect
past paper qs to practise applying knowledge
go over the content EVERYDAY to reinforce and remember the knowledge
Original post by Dhilj
Wow! How did you do it?
What subjects did you take,

I took Art, German, English Language and History, then dropped History at A2. I struggled a lot at AS, as I was doing art (which is VERY coursework heavy) I got into that vicious cycle of being intimidated by the amount of coursework, putting off doing the coursework, letting it pile up because of that and then freaking out even more 😂 Plus I had a job, which was eating up my study hours, so I got rid of the job at A2, dropped a subject, redid a few modules in German and made sure I got each piece of coursework done as soon as it came in. That and made sure that my personal statement was as good as it could be - that's the best thing you can do, I got offers from all the Unis I applied to, so (might be a bit late!) but those are my top tips - perfecting your personal statement, not letting work pile up and persevering! :biggrin:
Thank you so much guys. Many of you have motivated me and I'm going to give it everything I've got these few months. I will update you all after my last exam about what I did and on results day.
Original post by epistasis
Thank you so much guys. Many of you have motivated me and I'm going to give it everything I've got these few months. I will update you all after my last exam about what I did and on results day.
Glad to hear it, whatever you do, just keep going until you finish, try your utmost and you'll hopefully get where you want to go. All the best :smile:
It's doable - I went from EEE on past papers about a month before exams to A*A*A in the real exams (same subjects as you). Loads of coffee, and start doing past papers etc. They always recycle questions (or reword them slightly) and you can access a lot of marks just by knowing what to write even if your background understanding isn't deep. Also find the syllabus for Chemistry and Biology and make concise notes on each bullet point then memorise it all, takes no time and literally covers everything you need to know.

Quick Reply

Latest