The Student Room Group

Help with maths question

Angel Ltd manufacture components for washing machine. The probability that a component will be made within a tolerance of one tenth of a millimetre is 0.995.
Angel Ltd manufacture 10 000 components each day. Work out an estimate for the number of components that will not be within the tolerence of one tenth of a millimetre each day?

I know the answer is 50 because I have already checked on Google but I don't understand how you get 50? Can someone explain in detail? And I'm not quite sure where you get 0.005 from?
Reply 1
The probability that it will be within the tolerance is 0.995, therefore the probability that it won't be within the tolerance is 0.005 (1 - 0.995 = 0.005).

To get the estimate, you multiply the probability by the total number. Therefore in this case, you multiply 10 000 (the total number of components) by 0.005 (the probability that it won't be within the tolerance) and this gives you an answer of 50.

Hopefully this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ElleCee
The probability that it will be within the tolerance is 0.995, therefore the probability that it won't be within the tolerance is 0.005 (1 - 0.995 = 0.005).

To get the estimate, you multiply the probability by the total number. Therefore in this case, you multiply 10 000 (the total number of components) by 0.005 (the probability that it won't be within the tolerance) and this gives you an answer of 50.

Hopefully this helps :smile:

How do you get 0.005? What does
(1 - 0.995) mean I don't understand😭
Original post by memories18
How do you get 0.005? What does
(1 - 0.995) mean I don't understand😭

1 minus 0.995
Reply 4
Original post by KyleH123
1 minus 0.995

How do you work that out without a calculator
Original post by memories18
How do you work that out without a calculator

it's 0.005 from becoming 1

I don't really know how to explain this to you. What year are you in?
LMAOO
The probability always adds to
I was going to help but then i realised this was 5 years ago💀💀

Original post by nayeonpurr
lmaoo
bye☠️

Quick Reply

Latest