The Student Room Group

Autopool?

I just want to clarify on how autopool works:

I did have three modular subjects
Maths 99%UMS (AS)
Politics 97% UMS (AS)
Chinese AS 87% UMS, A2 78%, overall 82.5% (I am native though)

How would they go about calculating the UMS average
Would they count my Chinese? Would they only do the calculation with the AS or full A level?

I heard that if you get 93%+ in your best 3 subjects you get autopooled (my subject is not maths or medicine). Does this still apply this year, and would this apply to me, if I get rejected from my college? If they only count AS Chinese, I would have 94%, but 92.83% if they count the full A-level (do they round it up?)
Reply 1
Original post by cfang99
I just want to clarify on how autopool works:

I did have three modular subjects
Maths 99%UMS (AS)
Politics 97% UMS (AS)
Chinese AS 87% UMS, A2 78%, overall 82.5% (I am native though)

How would they go about calculating the UMS average
Would they count my Chinese? Would they only do the calculation with the AS or full A level?

I heard that if you get 93%+ in your best 3 subjects you get autopooled (my subject is not maths or medicine). Does this still apply this year, and would this apply to me, if I get rejected from my college? If they only count AS Chinese, I would have 94%, but 92.83% if they count the full A-level (do they round it up?)

They don't round up, and all UMS counts.

However, a strong UMS is likely to be pooled anyway if your original college doesn't have a place.

It's better to be pooled on merit than autopooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
They don't round up, and all UMS counts.

However, a strong UMS is likely to be pooled anyway if your original college doesn't have a place.

It's better to be pooled on merit than autopooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I understand. But would I be eligible for autopool (ie, do they not count my Chinese, only AS, or the full A level)??
Reply 3
Original post by cfang99
Thanks. I understand. But would I be eligible for autopool (ie, do they not count my Chinese, only AS, or the full A level)??

As I said, they count all UMS (i.e. AS & A2) when available. So yes Chinese is counted in full.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
As I said, they count all UMS (i.e. AS & A2) when available. So yes Chinese is counted in full.

I would imagine if OP applied for a subject which uses SUMS, the Chinese UMS wouldn't count. They haven't specified if they've applied for a science or a humanity.
Or at least that's how it was for me - my MFL UMS (thankfully) wasn't counted in the UMS calculation, only Maths, because I applied for a SUMS subject.
Reply 5
Original post by trythis
I would imagine if OP applied for a subject which uses SUMS, the Chinese UMS wouldn't count. They haven't specified if they've applied for a science or a humanity.

True, but considering they have Maths, Politics and Chinese I think it's unlikely they applied for a science :smile:
Reply 6
What is SUMS? I applied to do HSPS if that helps...
Reply 7
Original post by cfang99

Science UMS = only your best 3 science subjects are used: maths, bio, chem and/or physics.

HSPS doesn't use SUMS.
Reply 8
Original post by cfang99

It's the science UMS for those choosing a science subject. The point is not fret too much, the decision has been made. You have a better chance of an offer if you are in the pool as a result of a positive decision. Auto pooling in no way will get you a place if other aspects of an application are considered weak

So try not to worry too much about this and best of luck.
Reply 9
Original post by 210555
it's the science ums for those choosing a science subject. The point is not fret too much, the decision has been made. You have a better chance of an offer if you are in the pool as a result of a positive decision. Auto pooling in no way will get you a place if other aspects of an application are considered weak

so try not to worry too much about this and best of luck.

yharapbtur
Reply 10
So Chinese does count after all... It's my first language, yet it's what could pull me down

Could I still get a P Pool judging on my results on other subjects, or would it have to be A, B or S: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Pool

Just hoping that I do get an offer on 12th...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by cfang99
So Chinese does count after all... It's my first language, yet it's what could pull me down

Could I still get a P Pool judging on my results on other subjects, or would it have to be A, B or S: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Pool

Just hoping that I do get an offer on 12th...

The pool has finished. *If* you were in it you won't know until Decision Day anyway.

Quick Reply