The Student Room Group

Is BTEC Business studies easier than A-level??

I want to take 4 subjects at A-level and I was wondering if it would be easier if I took a btec instead of an a-level for business

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't suggest taking a BTEC with 3 other a levels as when it comes down to revising for exams you don't want to have coursework to do. Excessive coursework will probably hinder your other grades, so I would probably say no to BTEC business alongside a levels. What are your other A level options?
Reply 2
Original post by rosie.mn
I wouldn't suggest taking a BTEC with 3 other a levels as when it comes down to revising for exams you don't want to have coursework to do. Excessive coursework will probably hinder your other grades, so I would probably say no to BTEC business alongside a levels. What are your other A level options?

Religious studies and History

I still haven't really decided on the others but there are 5 I am thinking of:
Business
Psychology
Photography
Original post by Jazzy4949
Religious studies and History

I still haven't really decided on the others but there are 5 I am thinking of:
Business
Psychology
Photography

History and RS are really good choices. What are you good at and what do you want to study at Uni?
Reply 4
History and RS are really good choices. What are you good at and what do you want to study at Uni?

I'm not really too sure. I want to study History or Criminology or maybe Law. Business is also an option it all depends on how A-levels go and which I enjoy the most.
I'm not really too sure. I want to study History or Criminology or maybe Law. Business is also an option it all depends on how A-levels go and which I enjoy the most.

Have you considered doing English Lit? It goes very well with history and many prospective law students take it. As for a business degree, or management, more traditional subjects such as English Lit, Histoy, Maths and Economics are preferred rather than Business or Accounting (according to the LSE website). To open your options up I would take History, English Lit and Economics (maths if you're good at it)
Reply 6
Have you considered doing English Lit? It goes very well with history and many prospective law students take it. As for a business degree, or management, more traditional subjects such as English Lit, Histoy, Maths and Economics are preferred rather than Business or Accounting (according to the LSE website). To open your options up I would take History, English Lit and Economics (maths if you're good at it)

I was considering Eng Lit but everyone who did the tester day for our Sixth form said it was bad. If I have history and Religious studies then I was hoping I wouldn't need to take another essay based subject that I don't want to do as it would be a lot of writing. If I take psychology it is now considered as science so I would still have a pretty good chance at university as I would have 2 essay based subjects and 1 science. If I was to take 4 a-levels then I would take business as the skills can help in lots of different subjects. What do you think of talking 4 a-levels??
Reply 7
Maths, it should be mandatory at A-Level for people's own good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was considering Eng Lit but everyone who did the tester day for our Sixth form said it was bad. If I have history and Religious studies then I was hoping I wouldn't need to take another essay based subject that I don't want to do as it would be a lot of writing. If I take psychology it is now considered as science so I would still have a pretty good chance at university as I would have 2 essay based subjects and 1 science. If I was to take 4 a-levels then I would take business as the skills can help in lots of different subjects. What do you think of talking 4 a-levels??

Don't judge a subject based on what others think. I take a level English Lit and it's my most enjoyable, easiest subject. I love it. History is good but RS is weaker. It is helpful to have English Lit, but if you don't want to I understand. Psychology is more of an essay based subject to be honest, and it's not really considered a science per se. Some universities do consider it to be but it isn't the same as taking Chemistry etc. Given the fact your 4th is business, I wouldn't bother doing 4. It's not relevant for Law or History, and it's not required for business itself. If you think you'll enjoy it then yes by all means take it, but to pile on the workload for a subject which isn't that strong or relevant seems a bit pointless. If you're doing 4, it's best to do 2 facilitating subjects and 2 non facilitating, as it will strengthen your application. Especially given that law is a very competitive course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ChrisD0
Maths, it should be mandatory at A-Level for people's own good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think that?
Reply 10
Don't judge a subject based on what others think. I take a level English Lit and it's my most enjoyable, easiest subject. I love it. History is good but RS is weaker. It is helpful to have English Lit, but if you don't want to I understand. Psychology is more of an essay based subject to be honest, and it's not really considered a science per se. Some universities do consider it to be but it isn't the same as taking Chemistry etc. Given the fact your 4th is business, I wouldn't bother doing 4. It's not relevant for Law or History, and it's not required for business itself. If you think you'll enjoy it then yes by all means take it, but to pile on the workload for a subject which isn't that strong or relevant seems a bit pointless. If you're doing 4, it's best to do 2 facilitating subjects and 2 non facilitating, as it will strengthen your application. Especially given that law is a very competitive course.

I see your point with the English thing but I am apart of the year where the specification changes for us. So we don't really look at texts but more creative writing which I am not good at. Law was just something I was thinking of. I'm only Year 11 so all of these are just options of things I could do. Do you know anything about the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I was hoping to do it if I only do 3 a-levels and my parents only want me to do 3.
I see your point with the English thing but I am apart of the year where the specification changes for us. So we don't really look at texts but more creative writing which I am not good at. Law was just something I was thinking of. I'm only Year 11 so all of these are just options of things I could do. Do you know anything about the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I was hoping to do it if I only do 3 a-levels and my parents only want me to do 3.

Take what you enjoy but try not to limit yourself. That's my advice. Yeah I'm doing the EPQ, it's like an AS level but you can achieve an A*. It's a 6,000 word dissertation on a subject that interests you and Universities like it a lot. You can even get reduced offers if you get an A/A* in it. Highly recommend.
Reply 12
Take what you enjoy but try not to limit yourself. That's my advice. Yeah I'm doing the EPQ, it's like an AS level but you can achieve an A*. It's a 6,000 word dissertation on a subject that interests you and Universities like it a lot. You can even get reduced offers if you get an A/A* in it. Highly recommend.

Do you have to give a presentation on your work, like a speaking one. What do you have to do exactly??
Reply 13
I want to take 4 subjects at A-level and I was wondering if it would be easier if I took a btec instead of an a-level for business

BTEC Business Studies does have an exam under the new spec
Do you have to give a presentation on your work, like a speaking one. What do you have to do exactly??

Yeah you do. It's compulsory but it's not long and it's not infront of a big group. You have to research something and write about it, and then present your idea. I haven't started mine yet, I start tomorrow actually.
Reply 15
Yeah you do. It's compulsory but it's not long and it's not infront of a big group. You have to research something and write about it, and then present your idea. I haven't started mine yet, I start tomorrow actually.

Okay thank you. I'm not sure about the EPQ now. Any type of presentation freaks me out, whether in front of big or small groups, even in front of 1 person I still hate it
Okay thank you. I'm not sure about the EPQ now. Any type of presentation freaks me out, whether in front of big or small groups, even in front of 1 person I still hate it

Unfortunately, that may be something you will need to learn to do. All degrees now have a presentation in them, so maybe it would be beneficial for you to confront your fear now to prepare you for Uni? So long as it won't be completely detrimental to your mental health.
Reply 17
Unfortunately, that may be something you will need to learn to do. All degrees now have a presentation in them, so maybe it would be beneficial for you to confront your fear now to prepare you for Uni? So long as it won't be completely detrimental to your mental health.

Yeah I guess so, I just hate them so much. I did a presentation before in front of 60+ people and it ended so badly. Do you know anything about A-level Psycology and if you have to learn any case studies for the exam??
It's easier but it's a BTEC.
Yeah I guess so, I just hate them so much. I did a presentation before in front of 60+ people and it ended so badly. Do you know anything about A-level Psycology and if you have to learn any case studies for the exam??

According to my friends who take it its mainly about just learning experiments that were carried out and research methods. You learn about some psychologists as well like Freud.

Quick Reply

Latest