The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
I thought women were all about equality
I don't mind:colondollar:
depends how severe they are, lots of my friends just get mild cramps and can carry on about their day whilst mine would cause me to throw up, pass out and lose my hearing/sight so was pretty dangerous in a work environment. but i've now changed birth control and don't have periods anymore so i guess there's always other solutions?
Reply 243
It kinda depends. I think if you want a day off because of cramps/throwing up you should need a note from your doctor just like any other medical issue that requires you to have time off work. But the pill can stop your period so I guess bad periods are manageable
Idk. It isn't that bad for most people. Its not that bad for me anyway.
A female should not be working, a female should be scrubbing dishes and naughty children children, work is the natural habitat of the White mAn, to explore, to innovate, TO CONQUER!
I get kicked in the balls about once every month and the pain (much more intense) lasts the whole day usually but I never call in sick. So man the f*ck up and go to work even if you have a period.
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
No. Just take some medication and be done with it. If your argument is that it pains really bad despite taking medication then just ask your GP/Health Practitioner to issue you a medical letter/note.

Medication doesn't always solve the issue.
Lol. Women want equality but they want special treatment.
Original post by Tootles
Lol. Women want equality but they want special treatment.

Bc men don't ask for a day off when they have their period?

It's nothing to do with equality here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepysnooze
you have a weird single-dimensional notion of "privilege", don't you
you're telling me that privilege can only be in x category, but not in a whole host of others another
surely you must accept that if one race is more likely to be homeless, which is the OPPOSITE of privilege, or more likely to commit suicide, or more likely to be assaulted, or massively more likely to be mutilated at birth, or more likely to be seen as paedophiles, or having no reproductive rights, or having a higher retirement age and therefore a lower pension, or not having the law protect them against "rape", or a court system that discriminates against them in both criminal AND family law (custody, marriage, incarceration, etc), or being convicted of false rape charges, that is symptomatic of a LACK of privilege? literally: what world do you live in where THIS^ looks like "privilege" you daft ****

now answer my ****ing question - disprove how my statement that assistance (i.e. this law) is requisite for inferiority - why would somebody get assistance if they weren't at a disadvantage or of a status of inferiority? you need aid to remedy a defect for social justice, but social justice =/= equality, it's equity. giving "equity" to one gender is to say that they are lesser. so if women are lesser and must be MADE equal in a synthetic sense, then, again, they are inferior via this law. disprove my reasoning. you would literally have to be claiming that a disadvantage is a sign of equality. and I'm not talkming about "difference", i.e. the difference between both genders and BETWEEN genders. so
try it - have a go. give me a ****ing laugh.

Again laughable that you are under the assumption that because a small part of group x is y, that group x can't be z. Absolutely laughable.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Medication doesn't always solve the issue.

Ofc I understand this, and if this is the case for a few women then you can ask your GP/Health Practitioner for a letter stating that you need to get a leave on a monthly basis on medical grounds. Giving every woman this opportunity will make it too easy to abuse and will create major fluctuations in the workforce.

In any case, if a woman is menstruating then she can always just call in sick. There is little difference between menstruating and having a common illness like the flu. At the end of the day, there is no reason to give women an exclusive reason to take a day off in this case. If you're suffering from a not so serious condition you always have the option of calling in sick.

A leave policy for all women could have unintended consequences of further entrenching the discrimination, although it may not be large now, in the workforce. You cannot fault employers for hiring men over women or giving them more wages because they may feel that women are more costly compared to men and less reliable. You can always argue that taking an extra day doesn't mean less work done. Of course, it could be the case that some women work really efficiently and far more effectively than their colleagues but on average I'd assume that women and men are equally efficient. So in general if women do get to take an additional leave then they become less reliable. If the leave is a paid leave then they become less reliable and more costly.

So if the leave policy is in place for women then there shouldn't be debates over problems such as wage gaps and differences in employment rates because I'd argue that, these minute differences, to an extent, would be justified. Again this can be avoided if there is no special leave policy for women.
There is little difference between menstruating and having a common illness like the flu.

The difference is that most people aren't likely to get the flu accompanied with terrible symptoms once a month for 40 odd years.
Reply 252
I personally don't get period pains or any kind of discomfort but I definitely think those that do that can't get medication to control it should! It should probably involve some kind of medical assessment but I am definitely for this idea! I wouldn't personally take the day off because I would have no need but some women really really need it.

I think people fail to realise how significant a role hormones play in your ability to function properly. They play a massive role in who you are and your mood on a day to day basis so imagine a whole bunch that make you feel like a totally different person being thrown into your bloodstream once a month for a few days. Men just don't understand at all what it's like to have a period so will never be for it because they think it's just women being "lazy". Even for me, someone who doesn't get period pains, my period is something I dread because I know I will just feel sh*t and sad/moody/annoyed for 2 or 3 days... I've had days where I have felt so depressed and paranoid and couldn't leave my room or speak to anyone because I knew I'd be mean for no reason, just because it was the 1st day of my period.

Women who say "well I feel fine on my period so no there shouldn't be a day off" are the worst. You are not every woman and you are not "better" than the women who DO have horrible side effects, you aren't just "dealing with it better" than them, you are just not getting anything as extreme as they are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
Again laughable that you are under the assumption that because a small part of group x is y, that group x can't be z. Absolutely laughable.

still not answering my question
if you're not going to answer me, why even bother responding?
what are you even arguing about now? you've explained this new point horrendously - what "group"?
but I really cannot be bothered wasting my time on you any more seeing as you have been passionately devoted to shifting away from the questions I direct to you many many times. you're like a politician in an interview. you're pathetic. when you're ready to answer my question, preferably in a PM so I know it's different from a detraction, feel free. but until then I am not bothering with you any further.
still not answering my question
if you're not going to answer me, why even bother responding?
what are you even arguing about now? you've explained this new point horrendously - what "group"?
but I really cannot be bothered wasting my time on you any more seeing as you have been passionately devoted to shifting away from the questions I direct to you many many times. you're like a politician in an interview. you're pathetic. when you're ready to answer my question, preferably in a PM so I know it's different from a detraction, feel free. but until then I am not bothering with you any further.

When you are ready to accept that your arguments are logical nightmares, then I might answer some of your derailment tactical questions.
When you are ready to accept that your arguments are logical nightmares, then I might answer some of your derailment tactical questions.

my ****ing question all along was "what evidence do you have that my arguments are illogical" you nitwit. I asked you about 5 times in a row and you never ****ing answered me. this is the 6th time I believe. aren't you embarrassed? I'm embarrassed *for* you.
my ****ing question all along was "what evidence do you have that my arguments are illogical" you nitwit. I asked you about 5 times in a row and you never ****ing answered me. this is the 6th time I believe. aren't you embarrassed? I'm embarrassed *for* you.

And I answered that multiple times - inferring something about the entire group because of a small subset of that group, is fallacious.

You still haven't understood that, or accepted/admitted it if you did understand.
And I answered that multiple times - inferring something about the entire group because of a small subset of that group, is fallacious.

that had ****ing NOTHING to do with what I was talking about though. hence, you're dodging my question. if you were to do this in an academic debate, you'd be laughed out of the room, I can assure you. the only reason I'm putting up with this nonsense is because it's amusing that somebody would have the confidence to withstand this immense intellectual criticism.

You still haven't understood that, or accepted/admitted it if you did understand.

no - your issue with that other point was AFTER I started asking you about that other point - have some ****ing principle and answer me first when I ask you a question, and not with an irrelevant point. if we live in a world where this "Privileged" group is only privileged in very limited respects and oppressed in many other important respects, that "privilege" is privilege in name only, isn't it. and you didn't even respond to that fact last time - your thing about "group x" (etc) doesn't disprove this fact. you can be privileged in one respect (yes) but only in a ****ing IRREL;EVANT respect, and hence, a one-dimensional respect, like I already told you. it's not only one-dimensional, but that dimension (I assume you mean things like being a member of the majority, and being more hired for a job or some ****?) is usually ****ing negligible in 2017 with all the laws and cultural progressions we've made since the 1970s.
that had ****ing NOTHING to do with what I was talking about though.

Men are disproportionately homeless hence male privilege does not exist.

Ok.
Men are disproportionately homeless hence male privilege does not exist.

Ok.

mate
I listed you ****ing LOADS of ways men are culturally and legally disadvantaged, didn't I.

don't be so ****ing dishonest with me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending