The Student Room Group

Proof

Prove that any irrational number can be a root of at most one cubic equation of the form x^3+ax =b where a and b are rational.

How do I get started?
Original post by rdj201
Prove that any irrational number can be a root of at most one cubic equation of the form x^3+ax =b where a and b are rational.

How do I get started?

Proof by contradiction. Assume there is an irrational number that is the root of two equations of that form, and show this leads to a contradiction.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Proof by contradiction. Assume there is an irrational number that is the root of two equations of that form, and show this leads to a contradiction.

Thank you...still struggling at the moment, can I have a bit more help...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rdj201
Thank you...still struggling at the moment, can I have a bit more help...

Based on the suggested assumption, form and solve two simultaneous eqns.

PRSOM
Reply 5
Original post by atsruser
Based on the suggested assumption, form and solve two simultaneous eqns.

Is this sufficient...
If n is an irrational number.
If assume it works for two equations x^3 + ax - b = 0 and x^3 + cx - d = 0.
Then
f(n) = n^3 + an - b = 0
and
f(n) = n^3 + cn - d = 0

So n^3 + an - b = n^3 + cn - d
an - b = cn - d
an - cn = b - d
n = (b-d)/(a-c)
If a, b, c and d are rational numbers, then n must be rational.
Original post by rdj201

Is this sufficient...
If n is an irrational number.
If assume it works for two equations x^3 + ax - b = 0 and x^3 + cx - d = 0.
Then
f(n) = n^3 + an - b = 0
and
f(n) = n^3 + cn - d = 0

So n^3 + an - b = n^3 + cn - d
an - b = cn - d
an - cn = b - d
n = (b-d)/(a-c)
If a, b, c and d are rational numbers, then n must be rational.

In essence, yes. I would tighten up the phraseology a bit. Also you need to deal with the case a=c, since you've dividing by a-c.

Here's my take:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
In essence, yes. I would tighten up the phraseology a bit. Also you need to deal with the case a=c, since you've dividing by a-c.

Here's my take:

Spoiler

Thank you :-)
Original post by rdj201
Thank you :-)

Your welcome. Your answer was spot on - I was only dotting i's and crossing t's.

Can't recall seeing a proof by contradiction being required at A-level before - could just be my memory though.
Reply 9
Your welcome. Your answer was spot on - I was only dotting i's and crossing t's.

Can't recall seeing a proof by contradiction being required at A-level before - could just be my memory though.

It is a suggestion for the new A Level

The combination of the words "proof" and "A level" switched my brain off - I couldn't see what they were getting at, using standard A level methods.

Quick Reply

Latest