The Student Room Group

how to stop hating maths so much?

hi. im in IB. i do maths studies bc i wont need it for my future career so i decided might as well. i did the igcse & got an A, around 4 marks off an a*. but i hate maths with all my heart. i get so angry when i see it. also every time i do maths i feel drained like i want to cry. i have a lot of bad memories associated with maths while i was growing up. please help me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gameofno
hi. im in IB. i do maths studies bc i wont need it for my future career so i decided might as well. i did the igcse & got an A, around 4 marks off an a*. but i hate maths with all my heart. i get so angry when i see it. also every time i do maths i feel drained like i want to cry. i have a lot of bad memories associated with maths while i was growing up. please help me

Why did you choose it in the first place if you won't need it in future and hate it so badly?
i have a lot of bad memories associated with maths while i was growing up.

gosh you must be traumatised
Reply 3
Original post by NiamhM1801
Why did you choose it in the first place if you won't need it in future and hate it so badly?

hunny... i said i do ib... its compulsory... thats why i took studies... bc its the easiest & i dont need it.
Reply 4
Original post by topdawgent
gosh you must be traumatised

HAHA i am :frown:
hunny... i said i do ib... its compulsory... thats why i took studies... bc its the easiest & i dont need it.

oh sorry, I know nothing about that.

with regards to your op, what is it about maths that you dislike? To get an A at IGCSE means you can't find it that difficult...?
i have a lot of bad memories associated with maths while i was growing up.

Who'd have thought maths could be so traumatic ahah
Reply 7
oh sorry, I know nothing about that.

with regards to your op, what is it about maths that you dislike? To get an A at IGCSE means you can't find it that difficult...?

i get high grades but maths took me AGES, plus going to mathh club afterschool, and i just HATE it
Reply 8
Original post by RegrettingAS
Who'd have thought maths could be so traumatic ahah

hello darkness my old friend
i get high grades but maths took me AGES, plus going to mathh club afterschool, and i just HATE it

Yes you've established you hate it but why?
Reply 10
Yes you've established you hate it but why?

1. its hard for me to understand & i get frustrated quickly
2. everyone in my family is good at maths and there is huge pressure for me to be good at it too
3. its generally unenjoyable
See it as a game where you earn points for finding the shortest route.
Reply 12
Original post by l'etranger
See it as a game where you earn points for finding the shortest route.

Hmm! that's pretty cool. i will try this at class tomorrow
1. its hard for me to understand & i get frustrated quickly
2. everyone in my family is good at maths and there is huge pressure for me to be good at it too
3. its generally unenjoyable

1. Put time into practising it and making sure you understand one topic before moving on the the next. Be calm, don't give up and it's not the end of the world if you can't do something no matter how hard you try - you say you only do it because you have to, so all you really need to do is pass in the end.
2. That's not a reason to hate maths, that's a reason to explain that you find it difficult and ask them to stop pressuring you. It's not maths' fault your family are good and you find it harder, at the end of the day.
3. Find ways to make it enjoyable. Have a good attitude in your lessons and you may find that you enjoy it more than you think. Chances are, you only dislike maths because you have preconceived ideas about it. Forget those, and you might surprise yourself. This goes for anything, not just maths.
Reply 14
You can't stop hating Maths. If you don't like it from the get-go, you never will. I'm convinced some people are just psychologically more predisposed toward it, and that there are certain personality traits that align neatly with the abstract, sterile, 100% objective nature of mathematics.

That might just be my hatred of maths talking though.
Reply 15
Original post by jape
You can't stop hating Maths. If you don't like it from the get-go, you never will. I'm convinced some people are just psychologically more predisposed toward it, and that there are certain personality traits that align neatly with the abstract, sterile, 100% objective nature of mathematics.

That might just be my hatred of maths talking though.

wow you must be my other half
Reply 16

The fact that it is compulsory means you have no choice but to study it. The main thing about making maths fun is being really really good at it. There is no fun in being average in maths (or any other subject for that matter). Just take it one step at a time. Start with one topic, and don't stop until you've mastered it (it feels good). Practice, practice, practice. And do a few past paper questions every day or every second day.
Reply 17
1. Put time into practising it and making sure you understand one topic before moving on the the next. Be calm, don't give up and it's not the end of the world if you can't do something no matter how hard you try - you say you only do it because you have to, so all you really need to do is pass in the end.
2. That's not a reason to hate maths, that's a reason to explain that you find it difficult and ask them to stop pressuring you. It's not maths' fault your family are good and you find it harder, at the end of the day.
3. Find ways to make it enjoyable. Have a good attitude in your lessons and you may find that you enjoy it more than you think. Chances are, you only dislike maths because you have preconceived ideas about it. Forget those, and you might surprise yourself. This goes for anything, not just maths.

okay, thank you for the help + advice :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by TheCe
The fact that it is compulsory means you have no choice but to study it. The main thing about making maths fun is being really really good at it. There is no fun in being average in maths (or any other subject for that matter). Just take it one step at a time. Start with one topic, and don't stop until you've mastered it (it feels good). Practice, practice, practice. And do a few past paper questions every day or every second day.

Heyyyyy you. Always pulling me through. Even gcses haha. ly
okay, thank you for the help + advice :smile:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest