The Student Room Group

Mental Health and Nursing

Hello, I am a Level 3 student studying health and social care. Recently, I was diagnosed with severe OCD and I am now seeing a counsellor. I have also struggled with anxiety issues for over 5 years. I was wondering, as I am hoping to study Mental Health nursing in university, will the Uni need to know about my mental health? And if so, will it interfere with my degree?
The uni will need to know yes.
You will be asked to complete an occupational health questionnaire or form or whatever the individual universities you apply to have in place.
It won't affect you if you can demonstrate that you're seeking help and that it is under control and won't affect your studies and therefore your fitness to practice.
Plenty of student and qualified nurses have or have had mental health issues. Universities have systems in place to help and guide you.
It's best to be honest with them so they can help you if and where needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oxymoxymoron
Hello, I am a Level 3 student studying health and social care. Recently, I was diagnosed with severe OCD and I am now seeing a counsellor. I have also struggled with anxiety issues for over 5 years. I was wondering, as I am hoping to study Mental Health nursing in university, will the Uni need to know about my mental health? And if so, will it interfere with my degree?

If you check out the link in my signature below there is an article on working as a health care professional with a mental health diagnosis that should be useful to you :smile:
Reply 3
My uni never had to know about my diagnosis of bpd - it went via occupational health who decided they didn't need to know. The uni were never even told of my epilepsy - although I happily told them, as on my adjustments it said what I needed but the uni didn't have to know why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Forgot to mention oh are separate from the uni and confidential. I've found them really helpful personally 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I told a university at my interview and they thought it was a strength.
I'm doing MHN and also have some issues with regards to my mental health.

I disclosed everything to them from the start. Due to me doing that I have found it much easier to access uni councilling services and have had fantastic support from staff.

During my interview I spoke openly about my experiences and what I have learned from them and how I plan to impliment my skills into a clinical enviroment. In my feedback they stated it was one of my strengths.

Xx

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending