The Student Room Group

Series

I'm stuck on b)

Capture.PNG
Workouts down below and answer is 286, whats the mistakes I'm doing?

Capture.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Edited and got the question on there, can't remove the long stupid coding stuff though, its not on edit mode.
Reply 2
It looks like you are using the wrong expression for the sum of the integers (you've used the expression for the sum of the squares of the integers again).
Original post by ckfeister
Edited and got the question on there, can't remove the long stupid coding stuff though, its not on edit mode.

Check the sum of r.
Reply 4
Original post by Pangol
It looks like you are using the wrong expression for the sum of the integers (you've used the expression for the sum of the squares of the integers again).

What one am I meant to use?
Reply 5
What one am I meant to use?

Erm... the correct one...

As they are given in formula books, there's no harm in writing them out here;

sum of the first n integers = 1/2 n (n + 1)

sum of the first n squares = 1/6 n (n + 1) (2n + 1)
Reply 6
Original post by Pangol
Erm... the correct one...

As they are given in formula books, there's no harm in writing them out here;

sum of the first n integers = 1/2 n (n + 1)

sum of the first n squares = 1/6 n (n + 1) (2n + 1)

I'm not doing a practise paper, I do homestudying with cloudlearn its my first time doing it.
Reply 7
I'm not doing a practise paper, I do homestudying with cloudlearn its my first time doing it.

Fair enough, but you did nave the correct expression for the sum of the first six squares, so it didn't seem an outrageous assumption that you would also have seen the expression for the sum of the first six integers. In any case, they clearly cannot be the same, which is what your working would suggest.

Quick Reply

Latest