The Student Room Group

I'm from an upper middle class family AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pikachū
What does the label mean? if earning 8-9x what the average person in the country earns isnt rich then I don't know what is

My personal definition would be the upper classes so what's left of the aristocracy and people who are either independently wealthy and can sustain OP's parent's lifestyle with a passive investment strategy or actual ballers. I'm not even saying this to bring OP down, he said he is UMC (which is true) and it's a point of interest where people may want to know how he parents achieved all that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by UWS
Why Arsenal?

IMG_0156.JPG
Reply 42
Original post by zayn008
IMG_0156.JPG

Very impressive, you brought out the best part of my face :colondollar:
Reply 43
Original post by UWS
Very impressive, you brought out the best part of my face :colondollar:

Arsenal brings the best out of everyone, especially clubs at the bottom of the premier league :wink:
Original post by l'etranger
He's not rich.

It's upper middle class like OP says.

Which to most people constitutes "rich", most people would consider somebody rich on a household income half of that
Original post by Jammy Duel
Which to most people constitutes "rich", most people would consider somebody rich on a household income half of that

TSR also thinks that would get you pussy.
TSR also thinks that would get you pussy.

So, what objectively counts as rich?
So, what objectively counts as rich?

It's not a question which can be answered in the objective sense of the word, but for me it implies the ability to sustain a luxurious life, without working and in spite of significant recession.
It's not a question which can be answered in the objective sense of the word, but for me it implies the ability to sustain a luxurious life, without working and in spite of significant recession.

It doesn't actually imply the second half, unless the definition has changed in the last 5 minutes.
"Look everyone, daddy is rich, be jealous"

Seems to have worked.
It doesn't actually imply the second half, unless the definition has changed in the last 5 minutes.

I said for me, the poorest people also don't tend to feel the effects of recession either. It clearly does differentiate the middle classes from the upper classes though unless your company goes kaput. Your general level of exposure to the wider economy clearly is something which should also be considered. :angry:
I said for me, the poorest people also don't tend to feel the effects of recession either. It clearly does differentiate the middle classes from the upper classes though unless your company goes kaput. Your general level of exposure to the wider economy clearly is something which should also be considered. :angry:

If somebody on 200k can't survive a redundancy in recession (and they shouldn't really be facing that risk in the first place) they've been an idiot with their money.
Reply 52
Original post by Moura
Will you have student debt?

Do your parents give you loads of money?

Will they help you get a house in the future?

If you don't do well off of your own work in life will they support you financially?

im pretty much the same as the thread starter
1. im probs neever gonna have student debt
2. they give me a monthly allowance & pay for what i need
3. the house we currently live in is our own land & already in me and my sisters name
4. yes my father has ensured that even if he passes away there'll be enough money to sustain me for life
peace
If somebody on 200k can't survive a redundancy in recession (and they shouldn't really be facing that risk in the first place) they've been an idiot with their money.

I am being very calm with you and very clear. I said sustain a luxurious lifestyle did I not? I did and if someone lost their job after earning that, assuming normal expenditure they would have to cut back in holidays, maybe cars and so on. Read before you respond to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by fefssdf
how many rooms does your house have, and how many acres of land do your parents own ?

do you mean rooms generally or bedrooms lol
I am being very calm with you and very clear. I said sustain a luxurious lifestyle did I not? I did and if someone lost their job after earning that, assuming normal expenditure they would have to cut back in holidays, maybe cars and so on. Read before you respond to me.

I agree with you.

Tbh I think rich is earning around 500k after tax (but that's just what I think and many people disagree with me).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I agree with you.

Tbh I think rich is earning around 500k after tax (but that's just what I think and many people disagree with me).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree with this. Obviously 500k is an arbitrary number, but that's where the lifestyle really goes from nice family with a house with a nice gravel driveway and a dog to actual wealth.
Original post by gameofno
do you mean rooms generally or bedrooms lol

Bedrooms
Reply 58
Original post by fefssdf
Bedrooms

7 bedrooms lmao
Original post by Pikachū
What does the label mean? if earning 8-9x what the average person in the country earns isnt rich then I don't know what is

It's all relative, depending on your point of view.

For doctors and accountants, two people earning £100k each is not bad but it's certainly not overachievement. Anyone in those professions can earn that much with a good amount of experience.

But to a person on minimum wage and who isn't used to spending that much it's obviously going to seem like a lot of money, and they'd wonder what they do with it all.

Quick Reply

Latest