The Student Room Group

UCAS for American applicants

Hello, I'm wondering if there needs to be some sort of required qualifications to pick from the available list, such as English proficiency qualifications. Is this necessary for American citizens in particular?

Also, if a university requires specific things like and English proficiency test, is that supposed to be included in the UCAS application or is it done separately?

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that if your language of instruction at school was English, you won't have problems (unless you want to apply to a course taught in Welsh in Wales). I recall seeing on my UCAS application a section to put English proficiency scores. If you're applying for an autumn 2017 start, you only have until the 15th this month to apply!

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help!
Reply 2
Original post by gogojakeo
I'm pretty sure that if your language of instruction at school was English, you won't have problems (unless you want to apply to a course taught in Welsh in Wales). I recall seeing on my UCAS application a section to put English proficiency scores. If you're applying for an autumn 2017 start, you only have until the 15th this month to apply!

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help!

Oh boy, strap down Sonny.

1) is there a qualification that comes with completing general education requirements at the community college level?

2) are there any qualifications that an American community college student might have besides AP and SAT scores, eg English Honors being taken? Or are those mentioned in the personal statement?

3) I'm an American with 2 AP test scores, a university requires 3. What are the chances of getting accepted? I did 2 in high school and am not going to do anymore. I'm applying for social sciences.

I guess that wasn't too overwhelming :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by babywecan
Oh boy, strap down Sonny.

1) is there a qualification that comes with completing general education requirements at the community college level?

2) are there any qualifications that an American community college student might have, eg English Honors being taken? Or are those mentioned in the personal statement?

3) I'm an American with 2 AP test scores, a university requires 3. What are the chances of getting accepted? I did 2 in high school and am not going to do anymore. I'm applying for social sciences.

I guess that wasn't too overwhelming :smile:

1) We don't have a community college, as far as I know. There's also no "general qualification" like a GED in the UK. Except for English and Maths GCSE (taken around age 16), there's nothing that you're required to study in the UK.

2) The best I can think of is seeing if where you study is on UCAS's list of schools (they include international ones, my friend who went to school in Singapore until age 16 was able to find his school instantly). If not, I think you'd just have to type it in, and then it asks what qualifications you did and what level they were.

Again, any questions, just ask, or PM me. What year are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 4
1) we don't have a community college, as far as i know. There's also no "general qualification" like a ged in the uk. Except for english and maths gcse (taken around age 16), there's nothing that you're required to study in the uk.

2) the best i can think of is seeing if where you study is on ucas's list of schools (they include international ones, my friend who went to school in singapore until age 16 was able to find his school instantly). If not, i think you'd just have to type it in, and then it asks what qualifications you did and what level they were.

Again, any questions, just ask, or pm me. What year are you thinking of applying for?

i added a third thanks. i cant seem to be able to type in 'general education' after finding my school from the list.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know exactly how an AP test score works. Do you not have separate results for different subjects? If you go onto each universities website, they should have international grade requirements.
Reply 6
I don't know exactly how an AP test score works. Do you not have separate results for different subjects? If you go onto each universities website, they should have international grade requirements.

The way I understand it is that they are the equivalent of A levels. They are subject tests, tests you can choose from a list. For mine I took one in Music Theory and one in US history. Now from watching Skins, I'm aware you get them in 3 letter grades. I only have 2 AP tests for grades. :/
Reply 7
Original post by babywecan
The way I understand it is that they are the equivalent of A levels. They are subject tests, tests you can choose from a list. For mine I took one in Music Theory and one in US history. Now from watching Skins, I'm aware you get them in 3 letter grades. I only have 2 AP tests for grades. :/

Liverpool university requires 3 for international students. This is my target school
Ahh okay. Unfortunately, almost all, if not all, universities require you to take three A levels. I don't know if any universities will be different with the international entry requirements, however.
Reply 9
Ahh okay. Unfortunately, almost all, if not all, universities require you to take three A levels. I don't know if any universities will be different with the international entry requirements, however.

Well thank you for your prompt replies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending