The Student Room Group

I'm a Gay, A* Student on a Spontaneous Gap Year - AMA!

God, the title sounds hideously self-centred, doesn't it? :biggrin: Just following the conventions I've seen on here today, guys...

I'm incredibly bored - ask me anything!
Original post by EddyEagal
God, the title sounds hideously self-centred, doesn't it? :biggrin: Just following the conventions I've seen on here today, guys...

I'm incredibly bored - ask me anything!

Define spontaneous :tongue:

What makes an A* student? :smile: (i.e. gcses mostly A*'s or got some A*s at A-level... etc)

What is your favourite hot drink and why?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Define spontaneous :tongue:

What makes an A* student? :smile: (i.e. gcses mostly A*'s or got some A*s at A-level... etc)

What is your favourite hot drink and why?

Yay - a response :tongue:

Spontaneous as in I got my results (A*A*A); exceeded my course requirement, yet backed out of university and walked immediately (the day after) into a full-time job!

In my opinion, to be an A* student you have to genuinely care about A) the subject you are studying and B) have an awareness and consciousness of why it is important to do well in that subject. I believe that to truly have that, it has to be a subject that you've chosen out of interest and enjoyment - not necessarily out of convenience or 'tick-boxing' certain criteria.

Ooooh, so my favourite hot drink is probably Chai Tea - but I drink more Green Tea for the health benefits! I love Hot Chocolate and marshmallows, too, obviously... not so healthy.
What subjects did you do and what was you planning to do at university?
Reply 4
Original post by ReallyWigga
What subjects did you do and what was you planning to do at university?

I studied English Language, Media Studies, Sociology and Philosophy at A Level. I chose these subjects out of genuine interest and passion - I never want to be a slave to the system.

I had enrolled on a course at the University of York to study in TV and Film Production - AAB entry requirement. Now that I am working in the Media Industry - despite it being a life-long dream - I have decided that it isn't for me. It's very superficial. I want more of a purpose.

I am going to study Social and Political Science at York with the view of becoming a teacher. I would like to teach Sociology at A Level, and English and Media at GCSE Level.
Reply 5
Are you out to friends and family? How did they take it? How old were you?
Are most of your friends guys or girls?
How old were you when you realised you were gay?
Why did you take a gap year?
Reply 6
Original post by Loopy91
Are you out to friends and family? How did they take it? How old were you?
Are most of your friends guys or girls?
How old were you when you realised you were gay?
Why did you take a gap year?

Yes, I'm finally very open with my sexuality to everyone and anyone! I came out to my friends in November 2015 (drunk at a party...) - after only telling maybe six of my best friends - and then my family in January 2016. I was 17/18. I am now 19.

I have never once experienced homophobia from a young person since I have been open with my sexuality. Back in the earlier years of school, I had a lot of issues. But that's different. Some older people can be a bit funny with me sometimes. My own family were fine, though. My Dad and I do not have a close relationship, and so his views do not bother me.

The majority of my friends are girls. I do have straight guy friends (no gay guys, actually) but I wouldn't say they are my close friends. I am less inhibited around girls and feel more comfortable around them to be myself. I can't really relate to what a lot of straight guys are into, and that's fine.

I took a gap year because of a job offer. Thank god I did. My perception of life, myself and my own goals have totally changed.

Thank you for posting :h:
Reply 7
Original post by EddyEagal
Yes, I'm finally very open with my sexuality to everyone and anyone! I came out to my friends in November 2015 (drunk at a party...) - after only telling maybe six of my best friends - and then my family in January 2016. I was 17/18. I am now 19.

I have never once experienced homophobia from a young person since I have been open with my sexuality. Back in the earlier years of school, I had a lot of issues. But that's different. Some older people can be a bit funny with me sometimes. My own family were fine, though. My Dad and I do not have a close relationship, and so his views do not bother me.

The majority of my friends are girls. I do have straight guy friends (no gay guys, actually) but I wouldn't say they are my close friends. I am less inhibited around girls and feel more comfortable around them to be myself. I can't really relate to what a lot of straight guys are into, and that's fine.

I took a gap year because of a job offer. Thank god I did. My perception of life, myself and my own goals have totally changed.

Thank you for posting :h:

Oh great. How old were you when you realised you were gay? Would you say you're more masculine or feminine?
I've been mustering up the courage to do this myself, so how did you get the strength to tell your parents that you were... Going on a gap year?
Reply 9
Original post by Loopy91
Oh great. How old were you when you realised you were gay? Would you say you're more masculine or feminine?

I have always, always known I was different to other boys. From maybe about 9/10, I knew what being gay was and knew I was probably that. I didn't accept it - or even recognise it, really - until I was maybe 15/16.

I am somewhere in the middle. I personally think I am quite feminine but there's a lot of people who say I'm not super, super camp. It also depends on where I am and who I am with. If I am totally at ease, I will probably be more feminine than masculine.

Original post by That'sGreat
I've been mustering up the courage to do this myself, so how did you get the strength to tell your parents that you were... Going on a gap year?

Haha, brilliant! :biggrin:

I never had to really tell my parents. I applied for the job and went to the interview without telling them. Once I had the job, it wasn't a matter of 'I am thinking of taking a gap year...', it was more 'I have signed a contract and am going to be working for the next year or so'.

They were happy to go along with it. Since I got good results, they were aware I have options and that university could wait.

Honestly, it is your decision and it's ultimately your life. So long as you have goals and aims to achieve in your time off (even if not... that's still your call), then any parent should be fine.

I highly, highly recommend a gap year to any student. Working in the real world (ideally within the industry of your studies) opens your eyes to the reality of your degree, which sometimes can change your perspective. Film and screenwriting is my passion, but it no longer is what I want for a career. I never would've realised that without this year off. Instead, I would've realised 50k down the line; having graduated with a niche degree and being stuck in an industry that isn't for me.

As cliche as it sounds, take a gap year and find your calling!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending