The Student Room Group

How do examiners mark English GCSE and make sure its 100% accurate?

English is subjective because its essay based theres not one right absolute answer like in maths where theres only one answer like 92 or 56 degrees. So how do teachers mark English GCSE and make sure its 100% accurate and there all marking at the same standard?
Reply 1
Original post by Popsiclez
English is subjective because its essay based theres not one right absolute answer like in maths where theres only one answer like 92 or 56 degrees. So how do teachers mark English GCSE and make sure its 100% accurate and there all marking at the same standard?

It probably isn't tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by etudiebee
It probably isn't tbh.

lmao I guess to whether your examiner is a nice as pie or a complete ****.
Reply 3
lmao I guess to whether your examiner is a nice as pie or a complete ****.

Yep, unfortunately :/

Take a look at this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4417644. I've heard stories of people getting Cs/Ds and then they send it for a remark and it comes back as an A. What can you do? :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)

It's not 100% accurate, it probably won't ever be 100% accurate in our lifetime
Reply 5
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's not 100% accurate, it probably won't ever be 100% accurate in our lifetime

Ik I should leave room for human error but not so much so that people get a completey different grade, these are people's future. But these are the "Subject experts" that help make the exam questions, kids go through years of answering these in practice, surely they should be able to give a completely accurate grade.
Reply 6

There's no such thing as 100% accuracy in essay based subjects. It really depends on the examiner. There is a degree of reliability though, it's fairly easy to distinguish between a top grade answer and bottom grade answer, but the problem comes when deciding whether it should be awarded an A* or an A/B
Reply 7
Original post by mehokay
There's no such thing as 100% accuracy in essay based subjects. It really depends on the examiner. There is a degree of reliability though, it's fairly easy to distinguish between a top grade answer and bottom grade answer, but the problem comes when deciding whether it should be awarded an A* or an A/B

Read my reply to GradeA*
Ik I should leave room for human error but not so much so that people get a completey different grade, these are people's future. But these are the "Subject experts" that help make the exam questions, kids go through years of answering these in practice, surely they should be able to give a completely accurate grade.

Subject experts are academics at universities founding new concepts and perspectives, not setting questions for adolescents, to be brutally honest. Examiners are trained to mark in a certain way by the exam board, once they are deemed fit, they start marking scripts. At regular intervals throughout the summer, a sample of their work will be taken and scrutinised, if it's deemed content, they carry on marking, if not, they're sacked and someone else remarks all those scripts and the rest. In reality, only the chief examiner(s) know the specification fully, as they played the heaviest hand in tailoring it via advice from government. When you request a remark, it's often done by the chief examiner, and this can sometimes lead to huge changes in grades, in subjects like English and History.
Reply 9
Subject experts are academics at universities founding new concepts and perspectives, not setting questions for adolescents, to be brutally honest. Examiners are trained to mark in a certain way by the exam board, once they are deemed fit, they start marking scripts. At regular intervals throughout the summer, a sample of their work will be taken and scrutinised, if it's deemed content, they carry on marking, if not, they're sacked and someone else remarks all those scripts and the rest. In reality, only the chief examiner(s) know the specification fully, as they played the heaviest hand in tailoring it via advice from government. When you request a remark, it's often done by the chief examiner, and this can sometimes lead to huge changes in grades, in subjects like English and History.

Nope I've seen a full video from each respective exam board on how exam papers are made and the process starts a year in advance and Subject Experts get together help make the exam questions, by looking at past papers and examiner reports...
Nope I've seen a full video from each respective exam board on how exam papers are made and the process starts a year in advance and Subject Experts get together help make the exam questions, by looking at past papers and examiner reports...

Okay, what's the nope for? I'm just stating what happens during, not prior results marking
Reply 11
Okay, what's the nope for? I'm just stating what happens during, not prior results marking

Subject experts are academics at universities founding new concepts and perspectives, not setting questions for adolescents, to be brutally honest.

that.
that.

Was Einstein a professor or an examiner? Was Richard Dawkins a professor or an examiner?

Have you ever seen an examiner be interviewed for his/her opinion on a subject, I mean really? If they were all so esteemed, remarks wouldn't be needed.

There are naturally subject experts that aren't academics at universities, but it's not likely, given that all the facilities and income flows though there
Reply 13
Was Einstein a professor or an examiner? Was Richard Dawkins a professor or an examiner?

Have you ever seen an examiner be interviewed for his/her opinion on a subject, I mean really? If they were all so esteemed, remarks wouldn't be needed.

There are naturally subject experts that aren't academics at universities, but it's not likely, given that all the facilities and income flows though there

..I'm just repeating what each Exam board has said in their respective presentations on how exam papers are made..

Quick Reply

Latest