The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I'm honest the biggest reason I want to go Cambridge is it should be easier to get on a University Challenge team since you're up against less (maybe at a slightly higher standard but still like 100s compared to 1000s) xx
Original post by Xphoenix
Sorry again probably unrelated but apart from johns and girton any other colleges with rep? (Say the ones in the hills)

Posted from TSR Mobile

most colleges have rep, but nearly all of them dont live up to that rep. Just banter tbh.

Fitz is meant to be edgy/druggy.

Murray Edwards aka Hurry Bedwards...etc
Original post by AlcoholicCantab
fairly obvious usually.

Name one and I'll give my opinion.

Linguistics? I know it's a small subject - do you know any linguists personally? If so how are they finding the work?
Original post by domaths
If I'm honest the biggest reason I want to go Cambridge is it should be easier to get on a University Challenge team since you're up against less (maybe at a slightly higher standard but still like 100s compared to 1000s) xx

haha, thats a new one. hope you aren't at trinity
also if you're expecting a big clubbing scene, dont.

cambridge clubs are crap. fun, but crap.

I tend to find the smaller clubs where everyone knows each other to be much more fun. The clubs in Ibiza when I went in the summer were just downright depressing at times.
Original post by jneill
It's almost as old as Cambridge. It has provided more Prime Ministers than Cambridge. Their rowing facility was a venue for the 2012 Olympics. They basically invented organised football.

It's still pretty important in the fabric of English society. Whether that's a good thing or not is an entirely different discussion.

if your idea of prestige is calculated from the amount of prime ministers from the institution then I guess there's no debate as we have different definitions of the word. Physics was born at Cambridge, calculus was invented there as well, DNA was discovered at Cambridge and I can go on. I believe the first one alone outweighs anything significant coming from Eton
Original post by Student1256
if your idea of prestige is calculated from the amount of prime ministers from the institution then I guess there's no debate as we have different definitions of the word. Physics was born at Cambridge, calculus was invented there as well, DNA was discovered at Cambridge and I can go on. I believe the first one alone outweighs anything significant coming from Eton

Oxford? :tongue:
Original post by domaths

Omg if you make it please let me know. I'm the biggest university challenge fan but wouldn't dream of being on it
Original post by wolfmoon88
Oxford? :tongue:

Oxford gave Stephen hawking to Cambridge so I guess they did something 😂
(Btw it is known that due to the lack of mathematics in the Oxford course Stephen hawking was left behind in his mathematical ability while at Cambridge so... Oxford you had one damn job)
Original post by CutieTootsie
Omg if you make it please let me know. I'm the biggest university challenge fan but wouldn't dream of being on it

i hope in my deepest of dreams that i’ll make it onto university challenge… but i’d be horrendous. I’d the that fourth unless member that only smiles and nods/shakes when it’s time for conferring :?
Oxford gave Stephen hawking to Cambridge so I guess they did something 😂
(Btw it is known that due to the lack of mathematics in the Oxford course Stephen hawking was left behind in his mathematical ability while at Cambridge so... Oxford you had one damn job)

:rofl:

Well I dream of being on it but I am nowhere near the standard of any of the students on it lool
Original post by unknowntsr
i hope in my deepest of dreams that i’ll make it onto university challenge… but i’d be horrendous. I’d the that fourth unless member that only smiles and nods/shakes when it’s time for conferring :?

Noooooooo the fourth person answers those odd questions that no one in their right mind is supposed to know. The fourth person is a good'un. Granted, not the star, but usually MVP in my books.

True university challenge fans love the "fourth person".
Reply 593
keep themselves to themselves. get super cool jobs.

hardly ever see them around college

Medicine...?
Guess it will be something like having lunch while cutting dead bodies
Original post by domaths
Well I dream of being on it but I am nowhere near the standard of any of the students on it lool

Don't they just train?
If Cambridge trained you, why couldn't you? You're one of the best in the world attending Cambridge anyway.
Cambridge applicants are so hard on themselves 😂 hence my admiration

I think the ancient Greeks might have a prior "claim" to physics, not Newton.

And plenty of scientists are Eton alumni including Boyle of Boyle's Law fame and more importantly the founder of the The Royal Society. i.e. the place where Newton was able to present his ideas and arguably make his name.

Anyway, whatever.
what got everybody talking bout stereotypes :tongue:
Original post by Naeco
Medicine...?
Guess it will be something like having lunch while cutting dead bodies

Dude, ew.
(He answered for Medicine already)
Reply 599
Dude, ew.
(He answered for Medicine already)

Lmao, just saw it:tongue: