The Student Room Group

Panic attacks in exams!

For a long time I've dealt with panic attacks and quite severe anxiety in general. In a short while I'll be sitting mocks for my A levels and quite frankly the thought of them terrifies me, it's not so much the exam as I always over prepare, it's the thought of physically getting into the room. I was just wondering if anyone knew how panic attacks were handled? For instance resists or special consideration I don't want hours of revision to be ruined by random panic?! I already have a separate room but that still frightens me! Please help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meg_xo
For a long time I've dealt with panic attacks and quite severe anxiety in general. In a short while I'll be sitting mocks for my A levels and quite frankly the thought of them terrifies me, it's not so much the exam as I always over prepare, it's the thought of physically getting into the room. I was just wondering if anyone knew how panic attacks were handled? For instance resists or special consideration I don't want hours of revision to be ruined by random panic?! I already have a separate room but that still frightens me! Please help

Let your teachers know. If you already have, what did they say?
Reply 2
Original post by KyleH123
Let your teachers know. If you already have, what did they say?

They're all aware of my anxiety. However, I haven't spoke specifically to them about my mocks and the teacher who I was dependant on has recently left so I'm not even sure who to turn to either?!
Original post by Meg_xo
They're all aware of my anxiety. However, I haven't spoke specifically to them about my mocks and the teacher who I was dependant on has recently left so I'm not even sure who to turn to either?!

Any teacher will be able to forward you to the best person
Hello, perhaps you could speak to your head of year? And they may put you in a separate room with someone monitoring you
Reply 5
Original post by lulucoco98
Hello, perhaps you could speak to your head of year? And they may put you in a separate room with someone monitoring you

Yeah I think I'm going to have to pluck up the courage and ask someone! I feel like such and inconvenience though it's so hard
Original post by Meg_xo
Yeah I think I'm going to have to pluck up the courage and ask someone! I feel like such and inconvenience though it's so hard

No you definitely should not feel like an inconvience, this is serious. The teacher would understand, have you got any kind of doctors note?

It is important because if you stay quiet your health would get worse in the long run, hope you find the courage x
Reply 7
Original post by lulucoco98
No you definitely should not feel like an inconvience, this is serious. The teacher would understand, have you got any kind of doctors note?

It is important because if you stay quiet your health would get worse in the long run, hope you find the courage x

I've been to the doctors on numerous occasions and even had therapy for it on the school grounds so all my teachers are aware. When I applied for the smaller room initially I didn't need a doctors note because they all knew anyway. Thank you so much!
I'm exactly the same! Get panic attacks in exams mainly because of the silence and all of the people. I told my school about it, had to get a doctors note and then they put me in a smaller room with no more than 10 others. We all had the same problem in the smaller room so it was still nerve-wracking but if I had to leave then I didn't feel as judged
Hope you get it sorted
Reply 9
Thank you so much! Yeah I hate it when people just say aww it's just exam stress! It's not it's getting into a room which is my challenge no matter how big it is. I'll go talk to someone tomorrow and get their opinion:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg i have the same problem too, I'm worried what teachers may say as they don't know, what shall i do help
Reply 11
Original post by rumana101
omg i have the same problem too, I'm worried what teachers may say as they don't know, what shall i do help

God I'm so glad other people feel the same I felt so stupid for asking! Well I'm just going to seek out a trusted teacher tomorrow to get their opinion. Hope all goes well for you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg_xo
God I'm so glad other people feel the same I felt so stupid for asking! Well I'm just going to seek out a trusted teacher tomorrow to get their opinion. Hope all goes well for you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

shall i get my parents to write a note, don't want to confront my head of year, she probably will think I'm not serious
Original post by rumana101
shall i get my parents to write a note, don't want to confront my head of year, she probably will think I'm not serious

Yeah I'd get a note if I were you, just in case. I actually got my parents to call in about me last year so I wouldn't have to awkwardly talk to a teacher. I personally felt like my teachers would try to dissuade me and act like it wasn't a big deal but obviously they couldn't dismiss the panic attacks when they were talking to my parents
Original post by colorado
Yeah I'd get a note if I were you, just in case. I actually got my parents to call in about me last year so I wouldn't have to awkwardly talk to a teacher. I personally felt like my teachers would try to dissuade me and act like it wasn't a big deal but obviously they couldn't dismiss the panic attacks when they were talking to my parents

I find it awkward to talk to my head of year too and she would probably think the same; i'll get my parents to email school about it.
What about if you have spoken to teachers and the course head about the issues and separated exam arrangements and they have both ignored emails AND said "the college cannot provide for your needs" (as in not doing separated exam arrangements, even though A.L.S has said that it is fine)

My ACTUAL exams are in 8 hours and I dont know what to do. If they force me to go into the exam room with other people I would literally not be able to think. This is no exaggeration, my brain shuts down. help! :frown:
Original post by SonoLuma
What about if you have spoken to teachers and the course head about the issues and separated exam arrangements and they have both ignored emails AND said "the college cannot provide for your needs" (as in not doing separated exam arrangements, even though A.L.S has said that it is fine)

My ACTUAL exams are in 8 hours and I dont know what to do. If they force me to go into the exam room with other people I would literally not be able to think. This is no exaggeration, my brain shuts down. help! :frown:

Can you refuse to sit the exams on the grounds that your needs have not been met? I have several exam arrangements and I was told that if they were not in place that I could refuse to sit the exams. I don't know what would happen then, but legally, you should be provided for. Do you have documented evidence for your problems?
Original post by Meg_xo

Do you take any medication for your anxiety? Beta-blockers should do the job. They will make sure your heart doesn't start to beat uncontrollably and the inherent spiral of anxiety that follows won't be there.
Original post by gwaggy
Can you refuse to sit the exams on the grounds that your needs have not been met? I have several exam arrangements and I was told that if they were not in place that I could refuse to sit the exams. I don't know what would happen then, but legally, you should be provided for. Do you have documented evidence for your problems?

Your reply fills me with a bit of hope! Thanks!

I have provided the college with my diagnosis papers as well as a doctors note explaining my needs. All have been ignored, I have made the plan to make a formal complaint because of this and many other issues, but I was worried they would just put me down as a U if i refused, As I know for a fact that I wouldnt be able to operate in the main exam room.

Ive given the college enough notice, as well as the learner supports email being ignored, theyve simply been asking for a formal complaint, im just having anxiety ttack over and over leading me into depression. Im sleeping inordinate amounts every time I manage to sleep :frown:

Thanks for your advice, It gives me hope that Im not being unreasonable! lol
Original post by colorado
I'm exactly the same! Get panic attacks in exams mainly because of the silence and all of the people. I told my school about it, had to get a doctors note and then they put me in a smaller room with no more than 10 others. We all had the same problem in the smaller room so it was still nerve-wracking but if I had to leave then I didn't feel as judged
Hope you get it sorted

I used to have the exact same thing before I went to uni. I never got worked up for the exam itself, it was the silence of the exam hall, and the pressure of the room, the fact that you could hear a pin drop, it just heightened everything. But yeah, beta-blockers do the trick, guys. And I think that kind of anxiety is something you grow out of.

Quick Reply

Latest