The Student Room Group

Accomodation in Cardiff, UK

What would be the most recommendable hostel for undergraduate medical students at Cardiff University, UK?
Reply 1
Original post by Bryan Appu
What would be the most recommendable hostel for undergraduate medical students at Cardiff University, UK?

I'm assuming you're referring to student accommodation?

I would recommend Talybont - either North, South etc is personal preference. But I think the location is very helpful for first year medics - it is a reasonable distance from both the main university buildings and the Heath campus, both of which you will be spending some time in.

It also offers accommodation with a good variety of students - you won't just be stuck with healthcare students, but will be able to experience university life in a less sheltered environment.

Finally, the accommodation is only a twenty minute walk from the city centre, and I think as a first year that will give you plenty of opportunities to explore the city and set your foundations for the next five years.

Talybont would be (and was) my first choice at Cardiff, either as a medic or otherwise.

Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Angury
I'm assuming you're referring to student accommodation?

I would recommend Talybont - either North, South etc is personal preference. But I think the location is very helpful for first year medics - it is a reasonable distance from both the main university buildings and the Heath campus, both of which you will be spending some time in.

It also offers accommodation with a good variety of students - you won't just be stuck with healthcare students, but will be able to experience university life in a less sheltered environment.

Finally, the accommodation is only a twenty minute walk from the city centre, and I think as a first year that will give you plenty of opportunities to explore the city and set your foundations for the next five years.

Talybont would be (and was) my first choice at Cardiff, either as a medic or otherwise.

Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

I was told by one of my good friends who studied law said that Talybont had facilities that were not very up to date and the maintenance was very poor. Personally I would like a place which is peaceful to live and easy to get from one place to another :smile:
Reply 3
I was told by one of my good friends who studied law said that Talybont had facilities that were not very up to date and the maintenance was very poor. Personally I would like a place which is peaceful to live and easy to get from one place to another :smile:

You might find this website helpful:

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduates/residences

It goes through the accommodation available through Cardiff University.

If you are looking for somewhere peaceful then I imagine one of the private residences may be a bit better. There is Liberty House which is right next to the teaching hospital and Heath campus, which is relatively quiet for student accommodation. It is mainly filled with healthcare students who are on placement, so it's not as overflowing with the drunk coming back at 3am (although it does happen).

The problem with Liberty House is its location. It is a 30-40 minute walk to the city centre, and if you have any lectures/dissection in the main university campus then it is a bit of a trek. Furthermore, as it is filled with healthcare students it doesn't really offer as much diversity.

There is also Liberty Cambrian Point and Severn Point which are much closer to the city centre - similar to Talybont really. I don't have experience of them though, so I'm not sure if they are just as noisy as Talybont. To be honest, most student residences will be plagued with noise I'm afraid.
Reply 4
Original post by Angury
You might find this website helpful:

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduates/residences

It goes through the accommodation available through Cardiff University.

If you are looking for somewhere peaceful then I imagine one of the private residences may be a bit better. There is Liberty House which is right next to the teaching hospital and Heath campus, which is relatively quiet for student accommodation. It is mainly filled with healthcare students who are on placement, so it's not as overflowing with the drunk coming back at 3am (although it does happen).

The problem with Liberty House is its location. It is a 30-40 minute walk to the city centre, and if you have any lectures/dissection in the main university campus then it is a bit of a trek. Furthermore, as it is filled with healthcare students it doesn't really offer as much diversity.

There is also Liberty Cambrian Point and Severn Point which are much closer to the city centre - similar to Talybont really. I don't have experience of them though, so I'm not sure if they are just as noisy as Talybont. To be honest, most student residences will be plagued with noise I'm afraid.

Alright no worries. I will look into the current residences that you have recommended. Thx for your help though, really appreciate it! :biggrin:
Alright no worries. I will look into the current residences that you have recommended. Thx for your help though, really appreciate it! :biggrin:

Hey are you going to cardiff this year as well?!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by karishma behera
Hey are you going to cardiff this year as well?!! :smile:

Nope unfortunately I got rejected by them :frown:
Nope unfortunately I got rejected by them :frown:

Oh I see 😕 so where do you plan on going? Good luck though wherever you go 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by karishma behera
Oh I see 😕 so where do you plan on going? Good luck though wherever you go 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping that I will receive an offer from Queens because that's my preference in all honesty. Hey, congrats on being accepted by the way and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending