The Student Room Group

Bringing a parent to masters open day?

I'm considering visiting the Copenhagen Business School Open Day (for master programmes) and was wondering if I should invite/go with my mom. Is it unusual to do that in masters open days (pre-application)? I'm 20, still live with my parents, and am aware that the older students probably won't bring their moms... What do you think?
Personally i d go by yourself.
it's entirely up to you (of course) - i worked as an ambassador at a UCL postgrad open day recently, and i'd say around 40% of students had brought a parent along. i think it is entirely dependent on your reasons for it though. if i took my mum on open days (which i'm planning to!), it would be because i wanted her to see the places i could be staying in next year, and share this new exciting part of my life with her. if you think you might end up relying on her too much to ask questions etc, or if you think you won't talk to other applicants/tutors at the open day because she is there, i'd take the opportunity to go alone.

it's also entirely dependent on the timetabling of the open day as well, i think - if there are taster sessions etc going on, it probably would be a hassle to bring your mum, and probably quite boring for her, whereas if the day will be spent in talks and tours around the campus that would be a bit more accessible.
Reply 3
At the masters open days I went to most people seemed to have come alone but there were some parents. Either is perfectly normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
This is an option. Your parents may take an interest in your education and may add a fresh perspective. they also fund your studies.
Screw what other people think, if you want her with you, take her with you.
She'd probably appreciate it too
Reply 6
Original post by nanali
I'm considering visiting the Copenhagen Business School Open Day (for master programmes) and was wondering if I should invite/go with my mom. Is it unusual to do that in masters open days (pre-application)? I'm 20, still live with my parents, and am aware that the older students probably won't bring their moms... What do you think?

Take her with you, it doesn't matter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nanali

From a University point of view (and I'm sure Copenhagen Business School will be the same) we welcome our prospective students bringing along partners, parents or friends. I would say at our postgratuate open days over half of attendees bring someone with them. It's good to get another perspective of someone you trust especially if they are going to help fund your study.

Sophie - Cranfield University
Reply 8
Thank you everyone :-) i'll be going with her to Copenhagen but by myself to the open day. Maybe she'll just explore and get to know the city and the campus.

Quick Reply