The Student Room Group

My teacher is jeopardising my University placement

Everyone has 1 particular teacher to do their reference for them. I asked for a reference at the start of the Christmas holidays. No reply from them. I'd figured they either got the message and is starting it or is on holiday so I should wait until the holidays are over.

After the holidays, still no reply. I messaged the head and she said that it was not her responsibility, only the teachers. The official deadline is on the 15th of January and today is the 9th. 6 more days I just don't know what to do anymore.

The universities I have applied to all need references I assume, as they're decent. Any advice?
Reply 1
Go up to her in person.
Original post by zezno
Everyone has 1 particular teacher to do their reference for them. I asked for a reference at the start of the Christmas holidays. No reply from them. I'd figured they either got the message and is starting it or is on holiday so I should wait until the holidays are over.

After the holidays, still no reply. I messaged the head and she said that it was not her responsibility, only the teachers. The official deadline is on the 15th of January and today is the 9th. 6 more days I just don't know what to do anymore.

The universities I have applied to all need references I assume, as they're decent. Any advice?

Did you ask before or after the start of the holidays?

Teachers aren't obliged (or expected) to work on your reference during their time off - so you've given your referee 9 working days to produce a reference. Considering they'll likely need to read your application in full and get subject references from all of your other teachers (as well as actually doing their job) that's pretty unreasonable.

Talk to your teacher in person to ask if they're likely to complete your reference in time and ask them if there's anything you can do to HELP make that happen given that you've sprung this on them with little warning.

Until your reference is completed (and this is 4,000 characters same as your PS - how would you have reacted if given 9 days to complete your PS?) and your application sent off by your centre then you haven't applied anywhere yet. It may be that some of your choices will be open to "Late" applications (after the deadline) - ring them up to find out if that's likely to be the case.
For what it's worth, my school sent my reference to Oxford in early November (there was confusion over predicted grades as I'm not from the UK) and I still got an offer -- just keep the uni posted on what's happening
Original post by zezno

Why did you leave it so late?

Quick Reply

Latest