The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

Interview for primary education with QTS - University of Cumbria

Has anyone had their interview yet? Or have their interview soon? Please share some tips and suggestions as that would be great help!
Thanks
I'm a first year primary education student (at Plymouth) but haven't been to Cumbria to know what their specific interview process is like. However, I did go to a few interviews last year and generally they're all okay to be honest. You'll probably be talked through the course and then a group interview then a individual interview. Some universities may test you on tests like those in the professional skills tests which you will have to take before starting. Don't get too worried though. :smile:

Do you know what your task is?
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Original post by clarkey500
I'm a first year primary education student (at Plymouth) but haven't been to Cumbria to know what their specific interview process is like. However, I did go to a few interviews last year and generally they're all okay to be honest. You'll probably be talked through the course and then a group interview then a individual interview. Some universities may test you on tests like those in the professional skills tests which you will have to take before starting. Don't get too worried though. :smile:

Do you know what your task is?

Thanks for the reply!
The interview format doesn't look too complicated, we have to take part in a group task where we bring our own resource and then go for our individual interviews.
How are you finding first year? :smile:
Original post by Everythingequine
Thanks for the reply!
The interview format doesn't look too complicated, we have to take part in a group task where we bring our own resource and then go for our individual interviews.
How are you finding first year? :smile:

You're welcome!
Bringing your own resource seems to be the most common interview technique. It's not too complicated so nothing really to worry about! Be yourself, talk when you can - not over the top. Speak to some other candidates.

First year is really good so far! Really calm, I seem to have to have more seminars than any other person in my flat but they all help! First placement went really well and I did better than expected for it so all's well. Assignments are going well. Just stay on top of them!

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine!
If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by clarkey500
You're welcome!
Bringing your own resource seems to be the most common interview technique. It's not too complicated so nothing really to worry about! Be yourself, talk when you can - not over the top. Speak to some other candidates.

First year is really good so far! Really calm, I seem to have to have more seminars than any other person in my flat but they all help! First placement went really well and I did better than expected for it so all's well. Assignments are going well. Just stay on top of them!

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine!
If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :smile:

That's good to hear! Thanks a bunch, will do :smile:
That's good to hear! Thanks a bunch, will do :smile:

You're welcome!
Good luck
I have my interview on Thursday. Quite nervous. When is your interview?
Original post by Rachel.cardwell
I have my interview on Thursday. Quite nervous. When is your interview?

Hey!
I had my interview and got offered a place! Honestly there's nothing to worry about - staff are friendly and laid back.
I would just say make sure you're prepared with your resource.
Best of luck :smile:
Well done!! What resource did you use?
I'm in my final year of studying primary education (albeit at a different university)- I was successful at 2 out of 3 interviews I went to (I had been asked to go to 2 other interviews but had secured an offer at my favourite university by this point so chose not to go).
Any questions let me know.
Original post by Rachel.cardwell
Well done!! What resource did you use?

Thanks!
I took a fictional book last minute, literally picked it at random
Original post by calm down
I'm in my final year of studying primary education (albeit at a different university)- I was successful at 2 out of 3 interviews I went to (I had been asked to go to 2 other interviews but had secured an offer at my favourite university by this point so chose not to go).
Any questions let me know.

Hey! How are you finding third year? Do you think it's all worth it in the end? Also I've got an interview at edge Hill in a couple of days; I think this will be the most daunting interview yet. It's pretty tough.
What sort of things do you think the interview likes to hear?
Hey! How are you finding third year? Do you think it's all worth it in the end? Also I've got an interview at edge Hill in a couple of days; I think this will be the most daunting interview yet. It's pretty tough.
What sort of things do you think the interview likes to hear?

It's quite demanding in all honesty but all in all I've grown so much in confidence and knowledge over the past 2 and a half years so I'd say it is more than worthwhile.

I'm currently due to have some interviews for teaching jobs so I understand how daunting they may be. My top tips for interviews would be:

1. If it is a group interview don't be centre of attention; take others ideas on board (when your teaching you'll be working with a lot of different staff, there needs to be a balance in your approach to working in groups.
2. Be confident and show passion; if you have a favourite author, talk about them. You'll be doing presentations in front of peers and lecturers and you'll be teaching 30 children daily. Go into the interview knowing that you know your stuff.
3. Dress smart; first impressions go along way. It is better to be over dressed than under, along with this I'd say make it your priority to build positive relationships with those on the interview panel.
4. SELL YOURSELF- all of the experiences I'm sure you'll have in working with children should be discussed- they show that you have gone above and beyond others.
5. Learn key phrases within teaching- they'll make you look good (also make sure you know the recent changed to the National Curriculum (introduced a new one in 2014). An example of some phrases/acronyms that may be useful: NC, SEND, PLP, SLT, ASD, MLD, AfL, EAL.
GOOD LUCK- you'll do great.
Thanks!
I took a fictional book last minute, literally picked it at random

Books work great! I personally like Julia Donaldson's work the most (I think Axel Scheffner really brings the story to life)!
Original post by calm down
It's quite demanding in all honesty but all in all I've grown so much in confidence and knowledge over the past 2 and a half years so I'd say it is more than worthwhile.

I'm currently due to have some interviews for teaching jobs so I understand how daunting they may be. My top tips for interviews would be:

1. If it is a group interview don't be centre of attention; take others ideas on board (when your teaching you'll be working with a lot of different staff, there needs to be a balance in your approach to working in groups.
2. Be confident and show passion; if you have a favourite author, talk about them. You'll be doing presentations in front of peers and lecturers and you'll be teaching 30 children daily. Go into the interview knowing that you know your stuff.
3. Dress smart; first impressions go along way. It is better to be over dressed than under, along with this I'd say make it your priority to build positive relationships with those on the interview panel.
4. SELL YOURSELF- all of the experiences I'm sure you'll have in working with children should be discussed- they show that you have gone above and beyond others.
5. Learn key phrases within teaching- they'll make you look good (also make sure you know the recent changed to the National Curriculum (introduced a new one in 2014). An example of some phrases/acronyms that may be useful: NC, SEND, PLP, SLT, ASD, MLD, AfL, EAL.
GOOD LUCK- you'll do great.

Oh wow! Thank you so much, that was so incredibly useful and informative! :smile:
Fingers crossed I get a place!
Also, we're going to be asked about educational issues in the interview - do you have any tips on how I can prepare for that?
Thankss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending