The Student Room Group

ISA grade!

Hi guys. I just got one of my ISA results today. Is 43/50 good in an ISA? It was Chemistry and I do Triple Science. I genuinely do not know. Also, how would I have to do in the others units to secure an A*? How does this UMS score system work? That's it...If someone answers these questions I will be really thankful. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So Triple Science is worth three different qualifications, one for each of the three sciences.

Chemistry is split into 4 units and across all 4 units you would need a UMS score of 360/400 - which is equivalent to 90 out of 100 UMS on each unit. 43 marks, last year, would have been equal to 88 UMS. Therefore you would need 272/300 UMS across the three chemistry exams. However, 43 marks this year may be worth more or less UMS.

UMS itself changes your raw mark to a number out of 100 (with sciences). The way they change it is they look at how the year group did nationally and then create grade boundaries from the raw marks. These raw marks are then changed to UMS where the grade boundaries always stay the same (90 - A*, 80 - A, 70 - B etc). They then allocate each raw mark a UMS score depending on how far you where from each grade boundary.

Here is a UMS converter for AQA if you want to have a look at how raw marks are converted to UMS scores.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter
Reply 2
Original post by JammieDodger27
So Triple Science is worth three different qualifications, one for each of the three sciences.

Chemistry is split into 4 units and across all 4 units you would need a UMS score of 360/400 - which is equivalent to 90 out of 100 UMS on each unit. 43 marks, last year, would have been equal to 88 UMS. Therefore you would need 272/300 UMS across the three chemistry exams. However, 43 marks this year may be worth more or less UMS.

UMS itself changes your raw mark to a number out of 100 (with sciences). The way they change it is they look at how the year group did nationally and then create grade boundaries from the raw marks. These raw marks are then changed to UMS where the grade boundaries always stay the same (90 - A*, 80 - A, 70 - B etc). They then allocate each raw mark a UMS score depending on how far you where from each grade boundary.

Here is a UMS converter for AQA if you want to have a look at how raw marks are converted to UMS scores.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

Will I have to get higher than minimum for an A* in the other units as a result of me getting 43/50?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Moltenmo
Will I have to get higher than minimum for an A* in the other units as a result of me getting 43/50?

Marginally, yes.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
Marginally, yes.

Care to explain a bit more or with more depth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mentioned that you will need 272 UMS out of 300 UMS available in the three exams.

90 UMS is normally the minimum for an A* and this would get you 270/300 UMS.

Therefore, you need to be 2 UMS above the bare minimum for an A* across 3 exams.
Reply 6
Original post by JammieDodger27
I mentioned that you will need 272 UMS out of 300 UMS available in the three exams.

90 UMS is normally the minimum for an A* and this would get you 270/300 UMS.

Therefore, you need to be 2 UMS above the bare minimum for an A* across 3 exams.

So that's like a mark more right? Would you say 43/50 is good? Should I have got higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it will probably be a mark more over three exams so not a major issue.
I got 41/50 which is an A but if you really want an A* then you would really need to get around 45/50 to get an A* in general.
Reply 9
Original post by davidpoku
I got 41/50 which is an A but if you really want an A* then you would really need to get around 45/50 to get an A* in general.

Ok thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest